What to do in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do in New Orleans

The wife, her principal and several teachers are heading to New Orleans in Feb. Any suggestions on what to do there. Haven't been there since Mardi Gras of 1968 so got no clue personally.

Places to eat? She's vegetarian but her buds certainly aren't.

Things to do and see?

Two favorites in New Orleans...

Brigtsen's Restaurant - it's a bit off the tourist path (will require an Uber) but so worth it. You're basically eating dinner in one of several small rooms in an old New Orleans style house... doesn't feel like a restaurant at all, more like you're eating at grandma's house. The food is top-notch but not "stuffy" or super modern. Need to call for reservations well ahead of time.

1000 Figs - it's vegetarian, but so delicious/fresh that even the non-vegetarians in your group will love it. Really tiny place but just excellent Mediterranean food with the freshest possible ingredients and some really innovative twists of their own. Wife and I have been to New Orleans multiple times and consistently this is the one place I keep thinking about going back to.

I don't know if your wife's group is at all interested in the subject, but if any of them are history buffs, the National WW2 Museum is one of the best I've ever been to. Shockingly great.

Other than that, the usual picks are the jazz brunches at either Commander's Palace or The Court of Two Sisters (both are great), a walking tour (self-guided is fine) around the French Quarter, and if you're into Banksy, there's a couple of his post-Katrina art daubings still around within walking distance of the tourist areas.
    If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Best seafood restaurant in New Orleans... Casamentos restaurant... great fried seafood done the old fashion way.. cast iron pots no deep frying. Great chargrilled oysters and raw oysters. Huge softshell crabs. Known for their fried oysters and Seafood gumbo also. 3 miles from the french quarter.

Comment

My wife and I have been two a couple of French Quarter Festivals. We have found the people in New Orleans to be extremely friendly and helpful. The WW II museum is great. Catching some music at Preservation Hall is quite an experience. If your wife is into "techno" jewelry, Thomas Mann's gallery and shop is a cool place. If your wife includes fish/seafood in her diet have her check out the menus at Cochon and August. Cafe du Monde for beignets and chicory coffee.

Comment

Preservation Hall is always quality music, even if it feels rather touristy. The Spotted Cat was my favorite of the jazz clubs I visited in New Orleans, and even though it's almost as famous it seems like much more of a local crowd (or maybe just attracts more regular jazz listeners).

If there's any interest in the subject, the Pharmacy Museum is a fascinating look at 19th century medical practice. The first floor of the museum is the space that was the nation's first licensed pharmacy.

Comment

Working...
          X