MegaWord finds new 54 pointer

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BoggleOtaku
    Member
    • Feb 2019
    • 241

    #1

    MegaWord finds new 54 pointer

    MegaWord,

    I've been expectantly waiting for you to score a 54-point word on the lifetime board, since you predicted the first one to be found.
    You did it (maybe a month or two ago? I just happened to notice today...) with total style, finding a new, 54-point word.
    It's taken years of everyone playing to turn up a second ever (as far as I know) 54 point word, quite the accomplishment!

    I wonder if you suspected there was another one out there to find or even this one in advance.
    I also wonder if there are any more and how many years before the next one is found.

    Congratulations!
  • MegaWord
    Premium Member
    • Feb 2019
    • 77

    #2
    Thank you! I didn't know the word existed, til I found it. It was very similar to Lalatan's 55 pointer, just switched out BENZO with ANTHRA making it 25 letters but lacking the 3 point Z. Seems like the only better word I can think to beat 55 pts is the plural of Lalatan's word, would be 57 pts if it exists. It did feel good to find another unique ultra high point word and win best/longest word for the month. It's always nice to see new unique words at the top instead of the same ones. I've said it before, but it would be cool to randomize the boards monthly with all new puzzles set for that month. Then you'll never know what the best word will be or who will find it.

    Comment

    • BoggleOtaku
      Member
      • Feb 2019
      • 241

      #3
      Maybe that suggestion would solve a APPW controversy (in most extreme form): if it is a found word (this month? ever?) it is then owned and no one else but the first finder should ever use it, or maybe no one should ever use it again. With so few possible ultra big words possible and easily memorizable, it seems hard to have new words to replace the found ones, but at least the letter arrangements could be different. I kind of got the feeling a few years ago in Admin's discussion of checks needed to create a new board that it would be quite a bit of work to pull off until it could be fully automated, but I like the idea. But then again, I would think any APPW player could figure out from the above that I've never tried to play APPW and don't understand what the details are or the controversy about.

      As an aside (a no-doubt troubling turn of phrase for forum thread sanctity guardians everywhere), this post is like shouting at the people in the living room while wiring lighting in the attic. Or too often: My wife and I having conversations shouting upstairs/downstairs three rooms apart, and it does not turn out well. Anyway, I might shout that the existing game has rules, which clearly include seeing words previously found after playing a game. Anyone can play by their own rules and agree with others to adopt those rules, like keeping their own scoring disallowing some games. And there may be good reason to do something different from the general rules. That said, it is a handicap or an artifice when, for whatever good reason, someone wants to play differently from what is (implicitly) allowed. For example, in chess, en passant was a late adoption. Until it was adopted in the official rules, it was an artifice within the sphere of traditional chess. Same with the queen being able to more more than one square in a move. In general, no one person gets to decide what words mean, but in small spheres that have ownership and buy-in from players through their participation, it may be at least a little more certain where the artifice is. In this sense, artifice has no ethical or moral meaning. The game and rules could have something morally bad that the artifice fixes. But it is artificial until adopted. JMO-FWIW.

      Comment

      Working...