No announcement yet.

Speed Records and "Cheating"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's really sad is that some people have to cheat on a simple game. They have no pride, honesty or class.

Comment

Still waiting for someone to explain how this cheating takes place. To me, the sad part is that the players who are not as fast or competent assume that anyone better or faster than themselves is cheating. If you do not have an answer as to how cheating is occurring, please refrain from making accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by hootmon View Post
        Still waiting for someone to explain how this cheating takes place. To me, the sad part is that the players who are not as fast or competent assume that anyone better or faster than themselves is cheating. If you do not have an answer as to how cheating is occurring, please refrain from making accusations.
        You mischaracterize compuspud and others -- they are not saying ANYONE better or faster is cheating, but certain individuals must be as their times/scores don't seem possible.

Take yourself for example: over 1048 games this month you have an average score of 779, where highest possible is 800. This score over this many puzzles is not remotely possible in a random selection of puzzles that includes longer and harder puzzles. I think I know what you are doing, which is to keep hitting the "Play" button until you get an easy puzzle. Is that "cheating"? Well, I say no because the game itself lets you do it. But it isn't straight play either, where you play whatever puzzle you get by the random selection.

I wish Admin would disable this ability for anyone playing in "competitive" mode. I have said this before. It would eliminate most of what people are calling "cheeating" and it would go a long way towards making the scores straightforward. (However, if someone is playing NOT in competitive mode, especially newbies, let them keep this option while they are learning.)

As to other "cheating" schemes, I also take issue with your assertion that no one should mention it w/o showing how the cheat is occurring. Non-computer geeks would not have a clue, but still have circumstantial evidence of at least irregularities. "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.". Henry David Thoreau. So I for one am keeping an open mind, although it might just be that some have found other tricks or techniques allowed by the game to enhance their performance. Also some have worked an unbelievable (to me) number of puzzles and might just recognize far more clue answers than the average solver finding the puzzle cold.

I am one of the original players on this sight way back in 2012. I am still in the top 100 all-time list, although I have slipped all the way down to 74th bcz I quit playing in competition mode a long time ago, bcz the scores stopped being meaningful but yet I am too competitive a person to ignore them and was therefore spending more time on this game than I really wanted to. But I know what I am doing here. Thus I empathize w/compuspud and others who say that something "fishy" is going on here!
        Last edited by Dunderchief; 03-19-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Is there a way to pause the game? Most of my poor-scoring games are due to walking away from my laptop for any number of reasons. Other online games can be paused, but I've never figured out how to pause Acrostics.

Comment

Pausing the game would be gateway for what many posters are talking about: cheating. If you could pause the game, you could then easily look up answers to the clues. That is the only reason needed to keep it from happening.

Comment

I just saw this comment thread on the side of one of the puzzles and I haven’t read through it all, but I can say that I got a record time-yesterday I think. It was on a puzzle that I had completed only a couple days before and recognized. It was easy to fill it all in from memory once I recognized it. I’ve always assumed that the people who keep showing up with the record times have done the same thing. I can’t imagine spending that much time on something I consider a time waster, but to each their own.

Comment

Working...
              X