Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briang View Post
    Hi everyone,

That said, lookee what just happened today, now that there are tons of new puzzles. I just completed this 25 clue puzzle in half the time that one of these notorious "super solvers" did.
    While I don't doubt there are all kinds who work puzzles on this site, to me the most likely explanation for these "super solvers" is simply that these solvers have done A LOT of these puzzles. When you get to the point where you see the clue "One who does more than necessary" and not even need to count the letters to know the answer is "overachiever", and can do that to 75% or more of the clues on a specific puzzle, very rapid times can be expected. Furthermore, if one restricts the puzzles to those of 15 clues or fewer, the likelihood or running into a repeat is much higher.

Acrostic puzzles have a much more limited "vocabulary" of "answers" than the general language. I suspect this has to do with the way the puzzles are generated. I like to think this is why some people can achieve such fast times. Many players are also highly competitive, and having a top score means a lot to them. I suspect these people play a lot more than I do and place a stronger emphasis on associating the clue with the answer. While it is obvious that the people who come up with the clues try to be creative, but there is a fine line between a creative clue and one that is too obscure.

I am grateful for the new puzzles. New clues and, perhaps more important, new answers. I don't worry about competing with these "super solvers" since there is no way I can compete at that level. While I have gotten better than I was when I started, but I don't expect to ever set a new record. As far as whether or now someone has discovered a way to cheat this, I don't care. There is so much more evil that men do which am helpless to prevent that I can't afford to express much outrage on this.

In short, if someone has found a way to achieve super fast scores, good for them. Don't expect me to try and do the same, though.

Comment

Well, waddayaknow? Just when I figure I will never set a new record, I get this!

I realize this isn't such a great feat and I don't doubt my reign as a "Super Solver" will be a short one, but it's fun while it lasts!
      Last edited by redpicker; 10-23-2020, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I have enjoyed acrostic puzzles for many years, first with pencil and paper in the Washington Post and the New York Times, now online when I can find ones that are worth doing. These definitely are. I also have constructed acrostics for fun, using someone else's proprietary software; that was even more fun than solving them.

But I do not compete. Speed is completely irrelevant to my enjoyment of an acrostic puzzle--or any other kind. In fact, I consider that the LONGER it takes me to solve a puzzle, the more pleasure I'm getting for my money.

Chacun à son goût.

Comment

Working...
        X