I own a MAC computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I own a MAC computer

Unfortunatlty, I followed the advice of an Apple technician and downloaded Catalina. As usual, I have new problems. After I finish an Acrostic puzzle, before I hit Submit, the screen goes black and the puzzle is gone. I look under recent games and the finished puzzle was not recorded. Any suggestions?

Try installing Firefox (or another browser, if you prefer) — Apple’s built-in browser Safari is a piece of junk that has trouble handling any number of popular websites. Longer term, consider ditching the overpriced, underpowered Apple universe altogether. Lord knows Microsoft/Windows are far from perfect, but they’re better than what the Cupertino Crap Company dishes out.

Comment

Updating to the newest version of the operating system is rarely a bad move. You don't mention which browser you are using (which is probably where the problem lies). Try searching for an updated browser or check to see if another browser is available that would work better with Catalina.

Comment

Unlike PC, I happen to think Apple and its systems are very good. I have used Safari without any problems for many years. And by the way, that "Cupertino Crap Company" seems to be doing just fine--check out their stock price if you doubt it.

Comment

Must be all the fanbois lining up to buy $999 monitor stands.

Comment

I also am a Mac user (have been for 12 years) and will ignore all the trash talk on here. I wouldn't go back to Microsoft for anything. I recently purchased a used 2013 iMac with High Sierra installed. I upgraded to Mojave and then to Catalina. I had to do some tweaking on some things (such as security access to be able to use all the Zoom features I wanted). However, I have had no trouble at all with Acrostics on Puzzle Baron. This means that I don't have specific suggestions for you, except to say that something likely needs to be tweaked a bit. Find someone who knows iMacs to ask this question of. Clearly the advice you will get from here is useless. Patience Crabstick appears to be much more Crabstick than Patience in this case.

Comment

Amen to you Sweet CC. I couldn't have said it better

Comment

I've been a Mac owner for 20+ years. The only issues I've had in that time were with job-required Windows machines. Suggest you keep your OS updated if for no other reason than to keep malware off your machine.

Comment

I tend to agree, Crabstick, based on my experience with Safari. I noticed right away that Safari and Amazon don't get along. Sue

Comment

I use Safari, redpicker. So, I can use something else? How do I go about doing that? Sue

Comment

If only we'd bought Apple stock in the 1980's, right Hootmon? I'm on my third MacMini, and I've had lots of problems with them all. (I wonder sometimes if Apple sells us used equipment, like Logitech does.) I had a Dell using Windows XP which was excellent for 11 years, then needed updating. I planned on buying another Dell but couldn't decide on 7 or 8 version. Then friends talked me into getting a Mac. Sue

Comment

Thanks for your post, SweetCC. I don't know how to "tweak". I'm guessing that my screen is timing out; never did that until Catalina. But I guess that is my monitor? It's an ASUS, and I don't know how to tweak it. Sue

Comment

Sue, I don't use a Mac, but generally if your screen is going to sleep, that shouldn't remove anything on the screen, your puzzle shouldn't disappear. When you wake your monitor, exactly the same thing the computer was displaying when the monitor went to sleep should be there. If the computer is going to sleep on you, have a look for power settings to see whether you can change that.

As for trying a different browser, here's the instructions for installing firefox https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...Firefox+on+Mac

Do you know how to back up the system? Does the Mac have a "system restore" function? Make sure you back it up and/or create a restore point (if that's possible) so that you can revert if something goes awry with the installation.

Comment

Congratulations to our first(I think)Acrostics Triple Crown Winner! Well played Jug11!

Comment

Thanks, HOOTMON! Very kind of you to say that. I can almost guarantee it's a one-off.

Comment

Working...
                              X