Bad Acrostic puzzle solution - #78154522

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Acrostic puzzle solution - #78154522

I checked my solution to quote from this book online and it appears correct except I don't get a 'success' message. I tried getting a hint but none showed up. With the solution that I achieved, clue #B Disastrous Year (2) comes out ANNUSHORRIBILIS which is nowhere close to a meaningful result.

What’s wrong with ANNUS HORRIBILIS?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodiad View Post
      What’s wrong with ANNUS HORRIBILIS?
      Even if ANNUS HORRIBILIS is a reasonable answer, that doesn't change the issue that having a solution that is the same as the quote from the book isn't recognized as a correct solution.

Comment

"ANNUSHORRIBILIS which is nowhere close to a meaningful result"? Are you not old enough to remember when the Queen of England referred to 1992 as an "annus horribilis"?

Marriage troubles for three out of her four children, humiliating press, a racy book and a fire at Windsor Castle all added to the year's misery.

Comment

Originally posted by DogMa View Post
          "ANNUSHORRIBILIS which is nowhere close to a meaningful result"? Are you not old enough to remember when the Queen of England referred to 1992 as an "annus horribilis"?

https://www.history.com/news/annus-h...or-castle-fire
          Who cares!!! The issue is that there is a puzzle in the mix that doesn't allow completion even with the correct answer. I tried getting a 'hint' and nothing lit up. I checked my solution against the quote from the book. The admin needs to remove this puzzle from the mix.

Comment

My, my, aren't we grumpy. Admin didn't do this on purpose, you know. I'm sure he's working to fix it or remove it, despite your rudeness. Glitches seem to be the new normal in everything these days.

Comment

Hi duhmel -

Unfortunately our system doesn't archive unsolved puzzles so I'm unable to precisely determine which quote you're referring to. Could you let me know if you remember the subject matter of the quote in question, or the author/source?

In the meantime I'm checking through all of our puzzles that use this clue to see if I can find one that doesn't work.
              If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

He provided the puzzle number, doesn't that help?

Comment

Originally posted by Lauramur View Post
                  He provided the puzzle number, doesn't that help?
                  Puzzles that aren't solved get wiped from the database every couple of hours as part of our regular data maintenance routine, so I can't cross-reference that specific game ID as it no longer exists in the database.
                  If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    Hi duhmel -

Unfortunately our system doesn't archive unsolved puzzles so I'm unable to precisely determine which quote you're referring to. Could you let me know if you remember the subject matter of the quote in question, or the author/source?

In the meantime I'm checking through all of our puzzles that use this clue to see if I can find one that doesn't work.
                    The quote comes from the book 'Lance' by Vladimir Nabokov. I assume that the author's full name was used since the title is so shore. There is a phrase in the quotation - "a baby Africa" and "elegant Americas caught in their trapeze act"

Comment

Thanks duhmel! I've found the puzzle and tested it here with no issues, and it has been solved successfully over 150 times, so I do think the puzzle itself is correct. It may be that there was an errant keystroke somewhere during your solve or a misspelling that escaped your notice. In the off chance that it was a bug of some sort, though, I'm going to turn off our archival routine so that we can save unsolved puzzles for later analysis, in case something like this happens again I should be able to refer to the database to check your final puzzle state against what the database says the solution should be.

Comment

I want to give props to the admin for doing a great job. If you noticed it has been many many days since anyone brought up a problem. And admin is always very responsive when a problem arises. My hat is off to you!

Comment

Thanks for your effort. I don't know what happened but I feel better knowing it was my fault in not getting the solution.

Comment

Working...
                          X