Send someone a particular puzzle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AmyinCA
    Member
    • Feb 2019
    • 1

    #1

    Send someone a particular puzzle

    Hi! I mentioned to my spouse that I'd had an Agatha Christie quote in a recent puzzle. She asked if I could send it to her, and thanks to "Recent Puzzles" I think I have the number of the puzzle. However, I can't figure out how to convert that into a URL that I can send her. It seems like such a good opportunity to get her hooked on acrostics! Can anyone help?

    Amy
  • DogMa
    Member
    • Feb 2019
    • 54

    #2
    Amy, I think the answer is no. If we could call up a particular puzzle on demand, that could enable cheating. But why not just give her the URL for the site and let her try a few puzzles? If she's a reader and a word person, she could well get hooked. :-)

    Comment

    • Mickmick5
      Member
      • Feb 2019
      • 6

      #3
      Am I missing something ? no one has commented on the format change of the acrostic game. it is very similar to another across the game that’s already online and it is most unfriendly. is this a temporary problem? Has anybody else noticed this? Does it bother anybody else? Please Mr. administrator return us to the former formatting.

      Comment

      • DogMa
        Member
        • Feb 2019
        • 54

        #4
        I don't see any difference. Maybe something in your browser settings has changed?

        Comment

        • Lauramur
          Member
          • Feb 2019
          • 23

          #5
          I haven't noticed any difference either.

          Comment

          • admin
            Administrator
            • Apr 2007
            • 869

            #6
            This is likely in reference to the mobile version of the website, which was recently updated (or rather, installed for the first time, as our Acrostics site before then was never really optimized for mobile phones). It is a bit of a change so I understand the frustration, and I'm working on making the new version as user friendly as possible. Anyone with specific suggestions on things they would like improved on the mobile version please feel free to start a thread on this forum.
            If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

            Comment

            • Mickmick5
              Member
              • Feb 2019
              • 6

              #7
              I really appreciate your response, Mr. Administrator. I and others have been struggling. Here are specific suggestions that were available in the prior mobile format:
              — stop the cursor from moving automatically to where the next letter would be, whether in the quotation or in the clues
              —go back to having each square in the quotation numbered, and correlate to a numbered blank in the clues and source. A31 then refers to the 31st letter in the quote, and the blank in the clues with a 31 underneath.
              —allow more of the quotation, clues, and source to be visible in one screen, without scrolling
              —allow the completed puzzle (quotation, clues, and source) to be visible in one screen shot, when possible. Larger puzzles will never fit into one screen shot, understandably.

              Thank you!

              Comment

              • EmmaWingding
                Member
                • Oct 2026
                • 3

                #8
                Putting on my web-dev hat for a moment: +1 to these suggestions, Mickmick5. In the meantime, there's a workaround that might get you the old layout back -- in your phone browser's menu (usually the three dots, or the address bar menu) look for an option like "Request desktop site" or "Desktop version". That forces the full desktop page to load, which should bring back the numbered squares and the old formatting. Rotating to landscape can also help squeeze more of the quotation and clues onto one screen.

                The cursor auto-advancing is a really common mobile UX pattern (it saves you a tap on a touch keyboard), but it absolutely deserves a toggle -- it drives me up the wall too when I'm trying to edit an earlier letter. A simple "advance cursor after entry" on/off switch would be an easy win for the devs.

                Hope the desktop-site trick at least makes things playable again for now!

                Comment

                • Mickmick5
                  Member
                  • Feb 2019
                  • 6

                  #9
                  Emma, your hat serves you well, and I hope your suggestions are heeded. I did try to switch to desktop, to no avail. These puzzles are my adult pacifiers….

                  Comment

                  Working...