Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server, New Forum

Hi Everyone -

If you're reading this, you're on the new server and on the new forum. That means the migration is complete and you can resume normal gameplay.

The new forum software has a lot of new bells and whistles and I'm still working my way through most of them, so there will likely be some tweaking for the next few weeks as we get everything sorted.

The good news is that we were able to preserve all posts in the old forum, and all user accounts that had an email address attached to them. Those without an email address had brand new accounts created for them with the same password (so avatars, PMs, etc. will be gone for you), but it looks like avatars have survived for many. I'm not sure about PMs - I know mine are lost but the database seems to suggest there are a couple of thousand still in there, so maybe some of you got lucky?

If you're reading this and unable to login to your account, please email me at puzzlebaron@gmail.com straight away and I'll get you fixed up ASAP.

Why the Change

Believe it or not, the software we were running on Cryptograms.org was almost twelve years old. It was long, LONG overdue for an update - try to think how well your phone or iPad would work if it was built in 2007 and hadn't installed any updates since then! While things worked relatively smoothly for the most part we were quickly coming up against a brick wall as several major code updates coming in mid-2019 were guaranteed to completely break all of our sites and render them completely unusable. So we had no other choice: we had to rebuild them all, practically from scratch, with new, modern code.

The upside - this code should run quite a bit faster and much more efficiently, and should allow for some cool new features in future updates. Plus we now finally will have a single sign-on for all Puzzle Baron sites (once I finish Wordtwist.org and Logic-Puzzles.org in the coming week).

Bugs, Bugs, Bugs

If you notice any bugs in the system, please email me directly and I'll add them to the list. I'm hoping I've squashed the majority of them pre-release, but a few might have slipped by.

THANK YOU!

Thank you for your patience - I know its frustrating to lose game statistics, and I tried my best to keep that to a minimum.

Cheers,
    Stephen

If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

I appreciate your hard work in getting the site migrated and up and running again. As a side note, I had an error in a puzzle and got the screen telling me so. When I clicked to return to it, I got an error. I had to go to recent games to find the puzzle and retry it.

Comment

Gotcha - the next time it happens can you copy/paste to an email and send to puzzlebaron@gmail.com? If I have the exact wording of the error message it will help me track down the cause. Thanks!
      If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Hey, I've noticed that when I set a new record the Baron airplane animation doesn't play. Is it just at my end?

Comment

Good catch! That should be fixed now. Thanks!

Comment

Yay! It's working now! Awesome!!

Comment

The "=" character functionality ... where it adjusted the screen, centering the quote and positioning the cursor at the first character of the puzzle - it seems to have disappeared with the new version. Could we have it back? (Sorry ... and hate to kvetch ... I appreciate your efforts in administrating us!)

Comment

Oh no ... also, in the user stats, I'm pretty sure we used to be able to see our average solve times in the current month and previous month and those stats don't seem to be there now. Could we have them back? (I used those, mainly, to measure my progress in the game ... reassuring myself by comparing my current month average time to the last month's that I'm getting better month by month.) Thanks!!

Comment

I'm one of the semi-hardcore players who does *not* want to play in competitive mode because I want to ability to get hints so as to actually see and appreciate every quote. More to the point, I want to be able to get to the comments and appreciate the viewpoints of the other solvers. At the same time, I want to subscribe and log in in order to get rid of ads (as well as to support the site). With the new changes, it tells me that the only way I can avoid competitive mode is to log out -- thus eliminating my ability to skip ads or to contribute by name. Though I hate to say it, this will probably tip the balance to "not worth my time" and send me off to find some other way to spend my hours.

Is there any chance that you can restore the old "logged-in but not competitive" mode?

Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I've got all the above issues logged and will work through them ASAP.

Comment

Some other things that are missing now:
                      1. The chat window doesn't have history anymore and I can only see the last few messages. I only check the chat once in a while, so this way I will miss all the conversations. Can you please return the button that shows the chat history?
                      2. The global position is gone from lifetime statistics, and average solve time is gone from this month's statistics. Also, the all-time rankings used to be top 250, and now it's top 100. The last one was probably on purpose, but as someone who was in the top 250, but very far from top 100, I would really appreciate if it comes back

Comment

I can't find the stat for current ranking. Also, today (2/24) my current points total was less than that on 2/23, although I had worked some puzzles.

Comment

I'm fairly new to this puzzle but I enjoyed seeing how I ranked against other players. I started at 13,000 something and got below 800, which was inspirational. Now it's gone.........ouch!

Comment

I noticed that my user name changed from “echo” to “imported_echo”. Any way I can get it switched back to normal? If not, no biggie. I’ll continue on as an import.

Comment

Working...
                            X