RIP bansaisequoia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP bansaisequoia

I found this on my home page on facebook this morning. I don't know if it will come out here: Karen Kartheiser is with Joseph Kartheiser.

12 hrs ·

Rest in peace. 11/17/61 - 9/24/19

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor 40You and 39 others
    52 Comments
    Sad
    Comment Comments

View 48 more comments
    4 of 52

This is so sad.
    I have been looking for a death notice and have found nothing. But I found this obituary, which seems to be for his mother, who died at age 83 less than one month earlier.

Comment

What a sad, sad time for the family.

Comment

It is very sad...I have known Joseph for many years, since we first started on cryptograms. He had such a great sense of humor and wit. He had so many great stories to tell. He was a gifted musician. He was originally from the town where I was living and we met once in 2008 to go to his college reunion. It was an honor knowing him. We lost contact over the last 5 years and I feel so bad, that we did not get a chance to talk again. I also tried to find what I could and the only thing I could find was that his mom died about a month before. His dad still lives near Milwaukee. RIP Joseph.

Comment

It is really nice to hear that you met him, Digirl28. That must have been a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Comment

Digirl28, I recall Joseph a.k.a. bansai mentioning in a quote comment that you were his date for his college reunion back in Wisconsin. That was actually one of my favorite bansai comments because it was clearly so warm.

Comment

Yes, I read several comments where he was counting down the time until you went to his reunion. He also mentioned it afterwards.
              He mentioned you quite often and Kat too.

Comment

How very sad. I've only been playing cryptograms for a short while and don't know anyone, like others do. I always enjoyd Bansai's witty comments and noticed his amazing scores. My condolences to all that had the pleasure of knowing him.

Comment

before i found this website i thought that i was a very good player. then i found out what truly great players were. bansai's skills were on another plane. his speed records will stand forever RIP to an unmatched talent

Comment

I've become a pretty decent player with high solve rates and very fast times. Including sub 10s. But my personal favorite accomplishment was last year when, for the first and only time, I broke a bansaisequoia record. You gotta admire a legend like him.

Comment

Back in 2010, I was new to Cryptograms and the Internet was a strange new place to me. BansaiSequioa talked to me on the Cryptograms forum back then. I felt he was very well read and a kind man too. Then, later on I found out he was a top-notch Cryptogram solver too.

RIP BansaiSequioa aka Joseph Kartheiser

Comment

Very sad to lose Bansai, he epitomized our cryptogram community.

Comment

Ouch! So young, too! He was The Best.

Comment

The website feels different without bansai. I remember when I first started his records would provide so much motivation for me to improve. Rest in peace.

Comment

I only overlapped with bansai for a short time, but of course I saw his records everywhere, and read his comments, which I loved. His video on this forum, where he set several records while muttering that no one could set so many records, was a classic. I'd noticed he was gone for a while, and hoped he was ok. This is very sad news.

Comment

Working...
                              X