bansaisequoia
    August 4, 2009, 7:28 pm
    Tell that to Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
    puffybob
    July 6, 2010, 11:37 pm
    Blame the victim much?
    bansaisequoia
    January 21, 2011, 5:39 am
    I'm not blaming Solzhenitsyn. I'm just saying that, obviously, people of clear conscience can have much to fear.

Comment

• "Whatever that be which thinks, understands, wills, and acts, it is something celestial and divine. "
      — Marcus Tullius Cicero

bonsaisequoia
      February 5, 2010, 1:17 pm
      I am celestial and divine! Rock on!
      Cobris
      December 25, 2018, 7:11 am
      I'm new on commenting here although I have been playing for years. So, question: Are "bansaisequoia" (one of the usual winners) and "bonsaisequoia" (a usual poster) the same person?
      Eureka
      June 8, 2019, 8:10 pm
      Yes, bansaisequoia had several similar user names. He hasn't played for nearly a year now.
      imported_bees
      January 12, 2020, 3:02 pm
      Look in the forum for bansaisequoia info. He is no longer with us. Manyof the people seem to know each other and mourn his passing.

Comment

• "Nice to be here! At my age, it's nice to be anywhere."
        — George Burns

bansaisequoia
        May 26, 2009, 9:51 pm
        No way will I make it to be a centenarian.

Comment

• "You should always believe what you read in the newspapers, for that makes them more interesting."
          — Dame Rose Macaulay

bansaisequoia
          June 22, 2010, 6:11 pm
          "SATAN CAPTURED BY GIs IN IRAQ!" "HILLARY CLINTON ADOPTS ALIEN BABY!" "BAT BOY LEADS COPS ON 3 STATE CHASE!" "BABY PARTS LAKE MICHIGAN!"

Comment

• "The world loves a spice of wickedness. "
            — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

bansaisequoia
            April 5, 2012, 2:51 am
            It's on my rack between turmeric and cumin.

Comment

• "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
              — Thomas Jefferson

bansaisequoia
              January 28, 2013, 9:11 pm
              It could also be interpreted to mean that you shouldn't take away from the common working person and those unable to work, to give to rich idlers.

Comment

• "Everything is perfect in the universe -- even your desire to improve it. "
                — Wayne Dyer

bansaisequoia
                August 27, 2009, 10:03 pm
                If you desire to improve the universe, you therefore believe that it is not perfect. But if the universe is perfect, then your desire to improve it is an imperfection. It's like saying, "Everything I say is a lie." If the statement is true, then it's false.

Comment

• "Sigmund Freud was a half baked Viennese quack. Our literature, culture, and the films of Woody Allen would be better today if Freud had never written a word."
                  — Ian Shoales

Angie
                  May 6, 2010, 5:42 pm
                  the word "the" is repeated
                  DuckEverlasting
                  August 26, 2010, 11:06 pm
                  Yup, two "the"s.
                  bansaisequoia
                  October 26, 2010, 3:41 am
                  (link)

Comment

• "I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence."
                    — J. R. R. Tolkien

bansaisequoia
                    August 28, 2014, 3:10 pm
                    Some people don't like allegory or billeclintony.
                    wordfairy
                    November 13, 2014, 4:35 pm
                    Clever fellow, that bansai.
                    kb83
                    October 11, 2018, 8:12 am
                    bansai reminds me of the mathematical definition of "algorithm" that was going around after the 2000 election. Although I disagreed with the implication it was very funny. Definition: "Algorithm-- an iterative process whereby a total is recounted until the desired result is obtained"

Comment

• "An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world."
                      — George Santayana

bansaisequoia
                      January 17, 2010, 2:58 am
                      I think an artist is frequently someone who is forced to live in the actual world without their consent. They are dreamers who give us cautionary tales or visions of a better world to come. Artists frequently have horrific subject matter. e.g. Pablo Picasso's "Guernica," which depicts the strife of the Spanish Civil War, or Krysztof Penderecki's "Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima."

Comment

• "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
                        — Mark Twain

bansaisequoia
                        March 30, 2010, 11:11 pm
                        And he deserves what he gets.

Comment

• "It is too difficult to think nobly when one thinks only of earning a living. "
                          — Jean Jacques Rousseau

abra
                          May 26, 2018, 6:08 pm
                          Somewhere there is a comment from Pootie, where she says that the difference between her and bansai,is that she moved the cursor around and that he was able to type straight through a quote. She was much faster than I, however she solved, but occasionaly, like on this one, I can type straight through and I see what she meant.

Comment

• "The second half of the twentieth century is a complete flop. "
                            — Isaac Bashevis Singer

bansaisequoia
                            November 3, 2009, 12:15 am
                            Sometimes it's scary to think that we're actually living in a more enlightened time. And yet it doesn't seem all that enlightened.

Comment

• "If living conditions don't stop improving in this country, we're going to run out of humble beginnings for our great men."
                              — Russell P. Askue

bansaisequoia
                              August 12, 2010, 11:37 pm
                              They could always say, "I was born in a mansion with only one tennis court adjoining the helipad."

Comment

• "Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise - seek what they sought."
                                — Matsuo Basho

bansaisequoia
                                August 23, 2009, 1:19 am
                                "Slow dulcimer, gavotte and bow, in autumn, Bashõ and his friends go out to view the moon; In summer, gasoline rainbow in the gutter, The secret courtesy that courses like ichor Through the old form of the rude, full-scale joke, Impossible to tell in writing. "Bashõ" He named himself, "Banana Tree": banana After the plant some grateful students gave him, Maybe in appreciation of his guidance"--Robert Pinsky, poet laureate

--- --- --- --- ---

"Half of the world's misery comes from ignorance. The other half comes from intelligence."
                                — Matsuo Basho

bansaisequoia
                                February 8, 2017, 10:02 am
                                Slow dulcimer, gavotte and bow, in autumn, Bashõ and his friends go out to view the moon; In summer, gasoline rainbow in the gutter, The secret courtesy that courses like ichor Through the old form of the rude, full-scale joke, Impossible to tell in writing. "Bashõ" He named himself, "Banana Tree": banana After the plant some grateful students gave him, Maybe in appreciation of his guidance
                                Last edited by Toeprint; 09-22-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X