X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Quote to be added]

bansaisequoia
    October 13, 2009, 11:02 pm
    Something lies beyond the scene, the encre de chine, marine, obscene Horizon In Hell. Black as a bison, See the tall black Aga on the sofa in the alga mope, his Bell-rope Moustache (clear as a great bell!) Waves in eighteen-eighty Bustles Come Late with tambourines of Rustling Foam. They answer to the names Of ancient dames and shames, and Only call horizons their home. Coldly where (Chinese as these black-armoured fleas that dance) the breezes Seeking for horizons Wide; from her orisons In her wide Vermilion Pavilion By the seaside The doors clang open and hide Where the wind died Nothing but the Princess Cockatrice Lean Dancing a caprice To the wind's tambourine! -- Dame Edith Sitwell (1887--1964)

Comment

• "No normal man ever fell in love after thirty when the kidneys begin to disintegrate."
      — H.L. Mencken
      19. bananasequoia January 1, 2019 30 seconds

Comment

• "A person is always startled when he hears himself called old for the first time. "
        — Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

bansaisequoia
        January 6, 2011, 10:24 pm
        They've done that to me for years. e.g. "You're three years old."

Comment

• "Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind."
          — Leonardo da Vinci

bansaisequoia
          May 22, 2010, 3:33 pm
          Would you like to be fixed to a star? Carry moonbeams in a jar?

Comment

• "The most ideal human passion is love, which is also the most absolute and animal and one of the most ephemeral."
            — George Santayana

bansaisequoia
            March 15, 2011, 2:12 am
            "Ephemeral love" is probably in the Charlie Sheen Dictionary.

Comment

• "I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that."
              — Groucho Marx

bansaisequoia
              October 16, 2010, 8:13 pm
              I did. I have all 13 Marx Brothers movies on DVD.

Comment

• "The foolish and the dead never change their opinions. "
                — James Russell Lowell

maradnu
                February 21, 2009, 1:20 am
                So which describes Rush Limbaugh? Foolish or dead?
                bansaisequoia
                July 5, 2009, 7:48 pm
                He's alive and well here in Palm Beach County along with Ann Coulter.

Comment

• "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
                  — Albert Einstein

bansaisequoia
                  February 28, 2009, 12:37 am
                  When I was a young man in college, someone in my dormitory had a poster of Einstein on their door which featured this quote. I think it's one of the greatest things ever uttered. One need only look at the opposition encountered by Galileo and Tycho Brahe in the Renaissance to realize the relevance of this. I only wish there more quotes on this site by the aforementioned. I'm also hoping for more quotes by the great geniuses of our times, including Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Stephen Hawking and Subramanyan Chandrasekhar, to name a few.

Comment

• "Nobody has the right to manipulate anybody or to impress anybody with his stronger personality, not even for the other's imagined good."
                    — Imgard Schloegl

bansaisequoia
                    June 9, 2009, 9:49 pm
                    The author of this quote is Irmgard Schloegl aka Myokyo-ni. (link)

Comment

• "There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day."
                      — Alexander Woollcott

bansaisequoia
                      October 3, 2012, 7:46 pm
                      Not even the day you first saw "The Adventures of Pluto Nash?"

Comment

• "What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?"
                        — Bertolt Brecht

bansaisequoia
                        March 15, 2010, 10:31 pm
                        He wrote the lyrics to "The Alabama Song." ♫ Oh, show us the way ♪ to the next whiskey bar ♫

Comment

• "I'm not a particularly verbose person. I think that's why I like taking pictures... they speak for themselves."
                          — Jeb Dickerson

bansaisequoia
                          November 24, 2012, 11:30 pm
                          He's a blogger who's not particularly verbose.

Comment

• "Fork: An instrument used chiefly for the purpose of putting dead animals into the mouth."
                            — Ambrose Bierce

bansaisequoia
                            September 11, 2012, 9:39 pm
                            Whodunit? Who killed the spaghetti? Was it the upstairs marinade or the downstairs butter??? Or the crooked pun-in-law?

Comment

• The moment we indulge our affections, the earth is metamorphosed - there is no winter and no night... all tragedies, all ennuis vanish... all duties, even."
                              — Ralph Waldo Emerson

bansaisequoia
                              June 26, 2010, 3:51 pm
                              Vanish, not vanis. [Note: Stephen subsequently corrected the error.]

Comment

• "No place affords a more striking conviction of the vanity of human hopes than a public library. "
                                — Samuel Johnson

bansaisequoia
                                March 13, 2009, 12:43 am
                                If Samuel Johnson had such an opinion of the free interchange of thought in the 18th Century, I wonder how he might feel about the World Wide Web here in the 21st Century.

Comment

Working...
                                X