Things that Bansai left for us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that Bansai left for us

Okay, here goes! This forum is dedicated to comments that Bansai has left over the years. If you come across one of his comments, please include it here (along with the quote) so we will have a record of his words of wisdom, his humor, his sarcasm, his intelligence and the bits of his life that he felt comfortable sharing with us. If you want to throw in a record or two, please feel free. In order to avoid duplication, a quick word search should tell you if the comment is already here. Thanks so much everyone.

I have to start with this one. I happened upon it just after I learned of Bansai's passing, and it really touched me.

"Make your life a mission - not an intermission."
    — Arnold Glasgow

bansaisequoia
    July 30, 2012, 7:21 pm
    Let's all go to the lobby to get some 7-Up.

Comment

(And let's not forget the other personas of bansaisequoia, including bonsaisequoia and bonzaisequoia. There may be others!)

"There's a lot to be said for self-delusionment when it comes to matters of the heart."
      — Andrew Schneider

maradnu
      March 9, 2009, 1:43 am
      Delusionment?

bonsaisequoia
      July 26, 2009, 8:12 pm
      Sounds like a perfectly cromulent word to me.

Comment

"Each person makes their own terrible passion their God. "
        — Virgil

bansaisequoia
        February 3, 2012, 8:47 pm
        Joy? Vow? Box? Job? Cow? Wok? The hits just keep on coming!!!

Comment

"Fame comes only when deserved, and then is as inevitable as destiny, for it is destiny. "
          — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

bansaisequoia
          June 5, 2009, 12:46 am
          Adolph Hitler and Pol Pot are famous too.

Comment

"Labor, if it were not necessary for existence, would be indispensable for the happiness of man." — Samuel Johnson

bansaisequoia
            June 22, 2009, 11:37 pm
            Samuel Johnson was definitely not a Marxist. One might argue that women's labor is necessary for the existence of humankind, but I'm sure most women would be happier if they did not experience it while giving birth.

PianoManGidley
            December 11, 2010, 11:43 am
            I think he's talking about general work, not childlabor. We tend to get unhappy and bored when we're idle too long.

bansaisequoia
            March 25, 2011, 7:01 am
            PianoMan, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I dream of being able to pursue my avocations, rather than being wrapped in my vocation. I envy you for being able to support yourself in a career in music, as many of my friends from Conservatory have. Unfortunately, I find myself in an extremely stressful McJob which stultifies creativity. (But, hey, I've really enjoyed your music samples on your MySpace page!)

Comment

"While you are away, movie stars are taking your women. Robert Redford is dating your girlfriend, Tom Selleck is kissing your lady, Bart Simpson is making love to your wife."
              — Baghdad Betty

bansaisequoia
              January 2, 2011, 6:21 am
              In actuality, The Simpsons are known to the Arab World as TV program called al-Shamshoon. (link)

Comment

"He who considers too much will perform little." — Johann Friedrich von Schiller

bansaisequoia
                December 11, 2009, 11:22 pm
                Yet he wrote the lyrics to one of the most oft-preformed symphonies. The "Ode To Joy," from Beethoven's Ninth was his writing.

abra
                March 27, 2016, 1:59 pm
                I did not know that, and now he is one of my idols. I love The Ode to Joy.

Comment

"It is impossible to live without brains, either one's own or borrowed."
                  — Baltasar Gracian

bansaisequoia
                  October 9, 2010, 5:02 pm
                  "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking."--Ray Bolger

pootie49
                  July 10, 2012, 3:21 pm
                  bansai, p7 and montyb...can i borrow your brains for a month? i will wash them and return them good as new...k thanks.

bansaisequoia
                  October 7, 2012, 2:01 am
                  You can't wash my brain. My thoughts are too dirty.

Comment

"Continuous unremitting darkness has been known to send some people into an emotional tailspin."
                    — Andrew Schneider

bansaisequoia
                    February 13, 2011, 7:47 pm
                    Absolutely. People in certain climes are prone to seasonal affective disorder.

Comment

"Apothegms are portable wisdom, the quintessential extracts of thought and feelings."
                      — R. W. Alger

irisheyes
                      October 5, 2010, 5:49 pm
                      WHAT is an apothegm?? I thought I had a larger-than-average vocabulary, but I've never seen this one before.

bansaisequoia
                      August 28, 2011, 2:08 am
                      It's a marsupial of the Western Hemisphere.

Lurker
                      August 29, 2011, 11:38 pm
                      They carry dictionaries in their pouches.

montyb
                      Spenser
                      May 30, 2015, 12:12 am
                      Don't you mean it's a marthupial?

figmo
                      June 11, 2017, 4:56 pm
                      Wall-a-by damned!

Comment

"I find that most men would rather have their bellies opened for five hundred dollars than have a tooth pulled for five."
                        — Martin H. Fischer

pootie49
                        May 18, 2011, 11:25 pm
                        and one woman. i dont like dentists.

bansaisequoia
                        November 11, 2012, 6:36 pm
                        Has this guy ever had a surprise appendectomy?

Comment

(Bansai was obviously a Star Wars fan. I've never seen three comments from him on one quote before. I'll think of him when I see the final episode of the nine-part 'Skywalker saga' ten days from now.)

"There's a dark side to each and every human soul. We wish we were Obi-Wan Kenobi, and for the most part we are, but there's a little Darth Vader in all of us."
                          — Stuart Stevens

bansaisequoia
                          July 27, 2011, 11:30 pm
                          Darth Vader. (If Ella Fitzgerald married Darth Vader, she'd be Ella Vader)

montyb
                          August 28, 2012, 12:26 am
                          Come over to the dark side...we have cookies.

bansaisequoia
                          October 6, 2012, 4:40 pm
                          My computer has too many cookies already.

bansaisequoia
                          January 2, 2017, 12:56 pm
                          "We wish we were Rey, and for the most part we are, but there's a little Kylo Ren in all of us. "

Comment

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn. "
                            — John Wesley

bansaisequoia
                            September 26, 2010, 9:14 pm
                            Hey, everybody, let's make S'mores.

Comment

"Her own mother lived the latter years of her life in the horrible suspicion that electricity was dripping invisibly all over the house."
                              — James Thurber

bansaisequoia
                              September 30, 2011, 10:59 pm
                              The only thing worse than a house with dripping electricity is one where the plumbing blows a fuse and the natural gas goes out on your wireless router.

Comment

Working...
                              X