No announcement yet.

Things that Bansai left for us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The people who think Tiny Tim is strange are the same ones who think it odd that I drive without pants."
    — Anonymous

bansaisequoia
    September 26, 2009, 11:32 pm
    But who's driving without his pants?
    kat
    May 9, 2010, 4:57 pm
    Donald Duck?
    pootie49
    May 9, 2011, 1:37 am
    LOL good one Kat!!!

Comment

• "Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing - and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even."
      — Will Rogers

bansaisequoia
      August 1, 2010, 11:57 pm
      Actually, Andrew Jackson had the national debt paid off. And Bill Clinton, though he did not pay off the national debt, balanced the budget and created a surplus of revenue. In 1998 the US was making more money than spending. (Please note that neither of these presidents were Republican, although the three presidents who led up to the stock market crash and the Great Depression were.)
      fredsevent
      November 7, 2011, 11:40 pm
      Well, *if* the sitting president is entirely responsible for the balanced budgets, then your observation is most pertinent. At least for the 1990's, I seem to recall powerful Congressional irritants were seeking budgetary restraint.
      universalmom
      February 10, 2012, 1:00 am
      Bansai you're a man after me own heart
      viktoria
      August 8, 2015, 7:06 am
      Conveniently forgetting about Obama there, aren't you, Bansai? btw The debt Jackson paid off was only $80 million (about $1.7 billion in today's dollars). Clinton had a Republican Congress that limited his spending. W spent way, way too much but nothing compared to Obama. Obama's deficit in 6 years (6.3 trillion) is more than all other presidents combined, per the White House, Office of Management and Budget, itself.

Comment

• "Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions. "
        — Pablo Picasso

bansaisequoia
        August 8, 2009, 11:36 pm
        So was Picasso some kind of Karma Chameleon?

bansaisequoia
        December 18, 2010, 3:45 am
        Or was he forecasting a mood ring trend?

Comment

• "At some point in my life, I swallowed a Sun. And now it dawns and sets in my belly."
          — Erika Harris

bansaisequoia
          November 27, 2011, 2:32 pm
          You should take Zantac for your heartburn.

Comment

• "If it helps to make people think a little bit more about what those ideals are, then I'll keep wearing this uniform."
            — Barbara Adams

bansaisequoia
            December 16, 2009, 7:01 pm
            Barbara Adams was an alternate juror in the Whitewater Case in the '90s. She was the one who wore a Star Trek:TNG uniform every day to the proceedings. I thought this might shed some light.

Comment

• "I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy."
              — J. D. Salinger

bansaisequoia
              March 31, 2012, 6:52 pm
              I suspect people are too apathetic to show their indifference to me.

Comment

• "The applause of a single human being is of great consequence. "
                — Samuel Johnson

bansaisequoia
                June 14, 2009, 2:11 am
                Does anyone remember the final moments of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In? When you would hear that single person applauding? I don't think Samuel Johnson envisioned that centuries in the future.
                opallady
                July 15, 2009, 11:26 pm
                I remember, bonsai.
                wvwoman
                August 2, 2012, 9:06 am
                i remember, too. hey, maybe dick and dan were familiar with this quote...

Comment

• "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life, are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind."
                  — Henry David Thoreau

bansaisequoia
                  September 13, 2009, 3:02 am
                  And he never lived to see the electric toothbrush or valet parking.

Comment

• "I believe that every person is born with talent. "
                    — Maya Angelou

bansaisequoia
                    March 3, 2010, 10:25 pm
                    At least Maya knows how great I am.
                    montyb
                    April 27, 2012, 4:10 pm
                    Is there such a thing as in-born talent? Are there genes that control talent? I find it hard to see how an ability to play the piano, paint a realistic portrait, or write poetry would produce enough reproductive selection pressure for evolution to keep those genes in the human genome. Perhaps talent is merely something that is developed through time by interest.
                    bansaisequoia
                    June 24, 2012, 9:06 am
                    I think Maya believes the same thing, monty, but she believes we're born with it, and it's up to us to nurture it. Most people seem content to let it lie dormant at the bottom of their spleen. Mine flowered for a while in a good environment, but then I came to South Florida, and it wilted under cultural stultification.
                    Queethebean
                    July 15, 2012, 10:54 pm
                    But you have a talent for cryptograms!
                    bansaisequoia
                    October 24, 2012, 3:41 am
                    And you might be the Queen.
                    Last edited by Toeprint; 09-13-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• "You could read Kant by yourself, if you wanted; but you must share a joke with someone else. "
                      — Robert Louis Stevenson

bansaisequoia
                      May 23, 2009, 8:09 pm
                      What if I can't read Kant?
                      maradnu
                      September 7, 2010, 1:22 am
                      You kan't?

Comment

• "I will have nought to do with a man who can blow hot and cold with the same breath."
                        — Aesop

bansaisequoia
                        October 14, 2009, 9:09 pm
                        What would he make of Conair hair dryers?

Comment

• "Difficulties are things that show a person what they are. "
                          — Epictetus

bansaisequoia
                          October 6, 2011, 10:38 pm
                          Poor Epictetus. He's too loopy to know what a mirror is.

Comment

• "We are here and it is now. Further than that all human knowledge is moonshine."
                            — H.L. Mencken

pootie49
                            March 24, 2009, 5:22 pm
                            right to the point, I like that
                            bansaisequoia
                            May 6, 2010, 5:29 am
                            All human knowledge comes from a still in the Appalachians?

Comment

• "Oh that this too too solid flesh would melt, thaw and resolve itself into a dew."
                              — William Shakespeare

bansaisequoia
                              August 5, 2013, 4:44 pm
                              You've got to cut out all that Hamlet. And stop drinking Falstaff. And definitely don't even think of having one of Titus Andronicus' pies.

Comment

• "When I was a kid, I had dyslexia. I would write about it in my dairy."
                                — Zach Galifianakis

bansaisequoia
                                June 5, 2012, 6:08 am
                                To cope with mine, I'd play fetch with my god and pray to Dog.

Comment

Working...
                                X