• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation. "
    — Unattributed

abra
    February 18, 2017, 5:52 pm
    So, this bansaisequoia guy, ya think maybe he's a robot? )
    artcnet
    April 24, 2017, 2:49 am
    a robot with a fast computer
    LLapp
    May 7, 2017, 6:17 pm
    Bansais is the embodiment of this quote.

Comment

• "Personally, I would sooner have written Alice in Wonderland than the whole Encyclopedia Britannica."
      — Stephen Leacock

bansaisequoia
      May 19, 2012, 12:56 am
      Obviously. Alice in Wonderland is much shorter that all those volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica.

Comment

• "We didn't starve, but we didn't eat chicken unless we were sick, or the chicken was."
        — Bernard Malamud

bansaisequoia
        February 25, 2012, 7:24 pm
        Will an ill chicken sicken you?

Comment

• "A man's identity is not best thought of as the way in which he is separated from his fellows but the way in which he is united with them."
          — Robert Terwilliger

bansaisequoia
          October 26, 2010, 4:21 am
          Robert Terwilliger is the name of Krusty the Klown's former sidekick, "Sideshow Bob."
          LLapp
          November 6, 2015, 12:57 pm
          So it turns out that bansais was not kidding: Robert Underdunk Terwilliger, PhD, is indeed a Simpsons character. And I see, thanks to Google, that there are a couple dozen other Robert Tewilligers, and one of them is a pastor in Kalamazoo. I guess we'll never know which one of them is the author of this quote.

Comment

• "It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to seem foolish."
            — Aeschylus

bansaisequoia
            April 29, 2010, 6:27 pm
            I don't have to try. They just assume I'm foolish, anyway.

Comment

• "The idea of an election is much more interesting to me than the election itself... The act of voting is in itself the defining moment."
              — Jeff Melvoin

bansaisequoia
              July 5, 2010, 8:24 pm
              One of the teleplays he wrote for Northern Exposure involves the mayoral race in Cicely, Alaska.

Comment

• "To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography."
                — George Santayana

bansaisequoia
                November 2, 2012, 3:33 pm
                He degrades hillbillies who've never been more than 50km from their birthplace. What a dreadful indignity.

Comment

• "A man willing to work, and unable to find work, is perhaps the saddest sight that fortune's inequality exhibits under this sun. "
                  — Thomas Carlyle

bansaisequoia
                  April 23, 2010, 8:12 pm
                  Tell me about it, bro.

Comment

• "Temptations come, as a general rule, when they are sought. "
                    — Margaret Oliphant

bansaisequoia
                    August 25, 2009, 11:46 pm
                    I still say it's entrapment!

Comment

• "He who builds a better mousetrap these days runs into material shortages, patent-infringement suits, work stoppages, collusive bidding, discount discrimination, and taxes."
                      — H. E. Martz

notwavingbut
                      June 16, 2009, 8:54 pm
                      hard but good
                      Lurker
                      July 12, 2009, 8:27 pm
                      Next time, one that uses ALL the letters?
                      banzaisequoia
                      January 30, 2010, 3:11 am
                      Lurker wants a pangram.

Comment

• "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside."
                        — Jim Malusa

bansaisequoia
                        September 12, 2014, 9:10 am
                        Different from the back of a limo with a jacuzzi and an assortment of single malt scotches in the wet bar. Totally different head. Totally.

Comment

• "Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you. "
                          — William Blake

bansaisequoia
                          September 18, 2009, 12:03 am
                          This could be the secret to leading the league in stolen bases. I'll speak my mind, and the baseman will avoid me.

Comment

• "How different the new order would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician."
                            — Henry Miller

bansaisequoia
                            June 12, 2009, 3:40 pm
                            I'm not sure how novel this would be since Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John F Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford & George H W Bush are all veterans. Assuming Miller means war veterans. And though Jimmy Carter did not go to war, he was a Navy veteran.

Comment

• "Life with Mary was like being in a telephone booth with an open umbrella - no matter which way you turned, you got it in the eye."
                              — Jean Kerr

bansaisequoia
                              July 5, 2009, 7:12 pm
                              Jean Kerr is the author of, "Please Don't Eat The Daisies." Who remembers that one?

Comment

• "I had a dream last night that a hamburger was eating ME!"
                                — Jerry Seinfeld

bansaisequoia
                                April 21, 2010, 10:01 pm
                                "Uh huh. In fact, in Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people."--Lisa Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X