No announcement yet.

Holy cow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never doubted the records of will0416. He's a high school student with extremely fast reflexes and likely a top of the line computer and fast internet. He has never once bragged or even called attention to the fact that he's got these records. If a slow moving, middle-aged woman like me can solve a puzzle in 5 seconds, surely he can get the occasional 2 second solve. Deanna48 and munchlet have both had 3 second solves and I think they'd agree that 2 seconds is possible. But I understand why some people might find it unbelievable and I'm not trying to convince anyone, just stating my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by glassguy View Post
      I don't have a smart phone, and I am mid-80's. The only people who call me want to help me with my Medicare and reduce the interest rate on my credit card!
      I'm a lot younger than you & I too don't use smartphones. Too invasive.

BTW: Is your avatar something you designed? Its very pretty.

Comment

An update: well, after a worrisome recent travel incident, I'm ready to cry "uncle" and get a danged smart phone. So, also, my cell service recently sent me a text letting me know that, starting in July, they'll no longer support my 3G phone and so my non-smart phone will become completely inoperable then ... once they make this change, they noted, I won't even be able to use my current phone for 9-1-1 emergency calls. So, well, I think I'm going to have to join current society pretty soon, after all ... though I may do it with a little bit of annoyed (internal) kicking and screaming. Sigh. I had a good run as a luddite while it lasted. I do vow, when I get the smart phone, to learn to text properly with it, using just my thumbs, like the kids do. I aspire to be all thumbs, come July.

Comment

Originally posted by Fudi View Post
          An update: well, after a worrisome recent travel incident, I'm ready to cry "uncle" and get a danged smart phone. So, also, my cell service recently sent me a text letting me know that, starting in July, they'll no longer support my 3G phone and so my non-smart phone will become completely inoperable then ... once they make this change, they noted, I won't even be able to use my current phone for 9-1-1 emergency calls. So, well, I think I'm going to have to join current society pretty soon, after all ... though I may do it with a little bit of annoyed (internal) kicking and screaming. Sigh. I had a good run as a luddite while it lasted. I do vow, when I get the smart phone, to learn to text properly with it, using just my thumbs, like the kids do. I aspire to be all thumbs, come July.
          They make non-smartphones in 5G. And, you can text on a flip phone, I do it all the time. Mine even takes photos (not very good photos mind you, poor dpi, yet it does work).

Comment

Thanks, 2cute. I didn't know that. I am not going to get a new phone until July when my carrier says my current phone turns into a pumpkin, but will look into this as an option too. Great to know!

Comment

Originally posted by imported_Beverly View Post

IMHO, it's a trick. No one can even type in two seconds the 14 needed letters [THERISNOAPLYMF] for the quote ("There is no happiness: there are only moments of happiness.") In fact, as fast as I tried to speak, I cannot even SAY "There is no happiness: there are only moments of happiness." in under three seconds. I'm not sure how these absurd records are established, but I don't believe in them any more than I believe in God or believe that a Covid vaccine is protecting anyone from anything (that said, yes, I'm vaccinated and boostered. Not because I think it's of any particular benefit to me or to anyone around me, but only because I know the Govt. is in the position of restricting my mobility on any form of public transportation unless I can establish that I've been vaccinated. That's power - but it's not progress.) I do know there are people whose egos depend on being the record holder, even of things as inconsequential as Cryptogram solved times. It's just how some folks get by, in life.
              No fast solves on this example video that I made for some kids I tutored, but I think it's pretty clear that there are no tricks involved: https://youtu.be/bTum02N4D0w. Did you really have to speculate so negatively about someone you don't know and have never interacted with? I understand the skepticism, but the last few sentences were unnecessary.

Comment

Agreed, Will!

Comment

I've never doubted will, deanna, bansai, nanrich, or anyone else's times. Especially since I have sub-10 seconds times almost every month. But my reaction time and typing speed clearly aren't as quick.

Comment

Great video, Will! Thanks for sharing it with us. "Chimpanzee". Definitely an unusual pattern to figure out.

Comment

Wow, Will! I was laughing at how often you saw the Baron! OMG you are GOOD!!!!!

Comment

And I looked up the Laura Schlessinger quote, out of curiosity. It's "Distance lasts a day. But reality lasts a lifetime." I have no idea what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by will0416 View Post

No fast solves on this example video that I made for some kids I tutored, but I think it's pretty clear that there are no tricks involved: https://youtu.be/bTum02N4D0w. Did you really have to speculate so negatively about someone you don't know and have never interacted with? I understand the skepticism, but the last few sentences were unnecessary.
                          Will I watched you do the YouTube video. Okay ... you're the Megaword of Cryptograms ... AMAZING! BTW Megaword has videos of him playing WordTwist (one he was even sitting in his car on a highway underpass, you know to take a break from driving. ). You type so fast I can barely read what you've achieved before you move onto the next puzzle. I'm still trying to understand Cryptograms & so far am amazed how anyone can figure out the coded message.

Comment

I'm with those who believe in will0416! Keep up the good work. I thoroughly enjoy seeing your records. imported_Beverly, two words: grow up, there are exceptional people on this planet too.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Wow Will, I love how you said there are no fast solves in your video. I know you are referring to the 2 or 3 second solves, but you set so many records in the solves you showed. Impressive!

Comment

Working...
                                X