Holy cow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by will0416 View Post

No fast solves on this example video that I made for some kids I tutored, but I think it's pretty clear that there are no tricks involved: https://youtu.be/bTum02N4D0w. Did you really have to speculate so negatively about someone you don't know and have never interacted with? I understand the skepticism, but the last few sentences were unnecessary.
    I always speculate negatively. It's how I get by in life, and it's why I'm glad I'm mortal, and childless. rotf,lmho.
    Your video is very impressive, indeed. Frankly, at my age, I can't even move the cursor from the 'little boxes' to the 'check it' as quickly as can you.
    You write: "... I think it's pretty clear that there are no tricks involved ..."
    I have a motto I follow in all things and experiences, in life. "Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see with your own eyes."
    Nothing in life is clear. It's all smoke and mirrors.
    Last edited by imported_Beverly; 02-14-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by imported_Beverly View Post
      Frankly, at my age, I can't ever move the cursor from the 'little boxes' to the 'check it' as quickly as can you.
      Beverly, you can cut a few seconds off your time (and also avoid hitting "reset" by accident) if you tap "Enter" on your keyboard instead of using the on-screen "Check it" button.

Comment

Yanno, LLapp, I just discovered that yesterday! I can't tell you how many times I've missed the 'check it' and hit reset. But, 'tho I now know about the 'enter' option, I still can't seem to change my muscle memory to include the 'enter' key when doing a Cryptogram puzzle. On the bright side, I am rarely doing such puzzles for speed. I am mostly doing such puzzles whilst I'm also doing any number of things - including 'chatting' on Messenger or similar apps - I use the 'dead space' time between my comment and my correspondent's reply. At my age, I don't do much of anything for speed. ;~}

I do wish the 'powers that be' would set up a 'share' option on Cryptogram. I've been posting a link to the site with every 'Wordle' I share with 'FB friends', because I so prefer the Cryptogram. The Cryptogram quotes often cause me to stop for a moment, and take time to think. The puzzles also provide exposure to some authors, philosophers, and the like, with whom I'm not otherwise familiar. Wordle only seems to cause me to think of words that rhyme - like today's 'cynic' answer. I so wanted it to be 'lyric' ... although it might only be due to my own tendency to be far more cynical, than lyrical.

Comment

Originally posted by imported_Beverly View Post
          Yanno, LLapp, I just discovered that yesterday! I can't tell you how many times I've missed the 'check it' and hit reset. But, 'tho I now know about the 'enter' option, I still can't seem to change my muscle memory to include the 'enter' key when doing a Cryptogram puzzle. On the bright side, I am rarely doing such puzzles for speed. I am mostly doing such puzzles whilst I'm also doing any number of things - including 'chatting' on Messenger or similar apps - I use the 'dead space' time between my comment and my correspondent's reply. At my age, I don't do much of anything for speed. ;~}

I do wish the 'powers that be' would set up a 'share' option on Cryptogram. I've been posting a link to the site with every 'Wordle' I share with 'FB friends', because I so prefer the Cryptogram. The Cryptogram quotes often cause me to stop for a moment, and take time to think. The puzzles also provide exposure to some authors, philosophers, and the like, with whom I'm not otherwise familiar. Wordle only seems to cause me to think of words that rhyme - like today's 'cynic' answer. I so wanted it to be 'lyric' ... although it might only be due to my own tendency to be far more cynical, than lyrical.
          Don't you think it was ironic on Valentine's Day they chose the word 'Cynic'? I didn't get it BTW. I also missed today's word by one letter.

Its true though Wordle doesn't cause a pondering experience afterward, its just darn I missed it or yay I got it.

Wordtwist too allows for that thought process. Like today I learned to Quatch (squat or be flat). I didn't know that word before the puzzle I played.

Comment

I can't imagine getting one in 2 seconds, but my fastest is 7 seconds. I know myself to be a relatively slow solver. If I could do one in 7 seconds, it seems reasonable that a few can occasionally do one in 2 or 3 seconds.
            Ok that's done. Now my real reason for posting - today in chat, Eureka and LLapp mentioned that our names each have a fortune-cookie-like saying that is visible if you hover over the bars below your name. I want to "hit the bars" with them.

Comment

Ok, my fortune is: "Hrossa is on a distinguished road". So now we know!

Comment

Hrossa, I want to hit the bars too! (I was a bartender for several years in my ute.

Comment

Originally posted by hrossa View Post
                  ... Now my real reason for posting - today in chat, Eureka and LLapp mentioned that our names each have a fortune-cookie-like saying that is visible if you hover over the bars below your name. I want to "hit the bars" with them.
                  That is SO COOL, I didn't know that! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!

BTW I just love your avatar, its so cute!

Comment

Another 2 second record by will0416: "Everything that can be invented, has been invented." Charles H. Duell

And your "fortune" has now changed to "is a name known to all", hrossa. You're famous!

Comment

Will 0416 is just cracked at fortnite, my guy.

Comment

Those really fast times are unbelievable, but in the sense of “amazing”, not of “fake”. Those who think they’ve somehow been faked (which would be impressive in its own right!) should think of all the “unbelievable” things they’ve seen people do in sports (there’s no way Michael Jordan could do what he did with a basketball, except he did), music, and just about any physical and/or mental craft, where a very small number of people do things most of us can’t imagine humanly possible. They are the ones who combine all the different skills and talents that make someone good, in this case speed of eyes, mind, fingers, mouse and keyboard, and pattern recognition combined with years of frequent practice and a good memory. For me, it takes at least two seconds to get my eyes focused on the letters, my failing memory doesn’t recall a quote I’ve seen before until it’s been solved, I make typos that take time to correct, and I’m slow to move the cursor, while my typing speed and pattern recognition are good but could improve. But I can imagine people being much better than me at any of these, and that there exist a few people who are highly skilled at all of them. Hats off to them – you are unbelievable in the admiring sense of the word!

Comment

Beautifully expressed, rasbury! Let's give will0416 his due. He's a brilliant young man.

Comment

Thanks rasbury, and kudos to will0416 again for many his amazing times! Thanks 2cute and gracefulghost

Comment

The record for BOTH Bob Hope bank quotes:

2 seconds Bob Hope.png
                              2 seconds Bob Hope list.png

Attached Files
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 2 photos.
                              Last edited by Toeprint; 03-05-2022, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Wow, another player has a 2 second record on the same quote, twice! (By the way, the quote is on here three times, so look out for that third one.) Who are you, n-j-b? We know nothing about you! Thanks for posting this, Toeprint.

Comment

Working...
                                X