How do I get better at cryptograms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get better at cryptograms?

I can't solve most of the cryptograms I get, so I just end up skipping them. I want that to not happen, so what do I do?

Hi Theaxatium, I'm no expert and I've been solving for years. I just barely break 100 seconds much of the time but I keep trying. Some might call it cheating but I use a cryptogram solver called "quipqiup" when i'm thoroughly stuck, but not all the time. Also, look for word patterns such as THAT, PEOPLE, GOOD, THE and also look for most used letters such as "T" or "E" or the vowels. I hope some of the other great solvers pipe-in and give you some solid tips that will get you into the top 20. But above all else, don't give up. I've only seen the BARON Airplane a few times and it's exhilarating. That's all I have to offer. Good luck and continue solving you'll get better over time.

Comment

One more comment. Try a famous quote site and look-up the author of the quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Synonymous View Post
        One more comment. Try a famous quote site and look-up the author of the quote.
        I thought about doing that, but thought it might get me banned.

Comment

Hey Theaxatium! Looking quotes up is definitely allowed- there would be no way to enforce a rule like that even if there was one in place. Some users on this website don't like it, but mostly it's okay. However, I would recommend only using the quote websites when you absolutely need them.

I see you only joined Puzzle Baron this month, so you have plenty of time to improve! I first started solving cryptograms in September, and my progress has been immense since then. Even if your solve rates are low at first, don't be discouraged!

One main strategy I use to get a good start is looking for letter frequency patterns. For example, the word "THE" is often a higher frequency, lower frequency, then higher frequency pattern. So the numbers underneath might look something like 10-4-12. The word "AND" often comes up immediately after a comma, and it tends to be starting at a higher number, then going low (for example, 12-7-3). CIVILIZATION comes up a lot, and it can be recognized from the frequency of the letter I in it. EVERYTHING/EVERYONE/EVERYBODY can be recognized from the two e's at the beginning. PEOPLE is also common, and it can be found using the P and E pattern. Finally, one-letter words are a fairly simple way to get started. "I" and "A" come up most often, with some "O" as well. Of course, there are so many other patterns ("THAT" is another), but those are just a few main ones.

It all seems overwhelming at first, but you can do it! Really, the best strategy is just practice, practice, practice. Don't worry about times or anything yet, just spend some time familiarizing yourself with patterns and frequencies, and soon enough it'll come automatically.

Good luck! I hope this helped.

Comment

Theaxatium, it won't get you banned (or even shunned) if you check quote sites. Most of us have resorted to Google or quote sites when we're stumped and really want to know what the quote says.

Meanwhile, for beginner tips on solving, start with this site's Tutorial.

Also, check these other Cryptogram Forum threads where players have given tips for solving:
            Enjoy! It takes practice, and it's fun once the word patterns start to click for you.

Comment

It's something that comes with time. Just like any number of other things. Example: When you first get a checking account, you might struggle with the monthly reconciliations. But the more times you balance your checking account the easier it gets. When you first get behind the wheel of a car, do you take off instinctually or do you have to practice? The more you play, the easier it gets. in the meantime, just have fun!

Comment

Honestly, I just forced myself to complete every. Single. Cipher. It's hard, and very frustrating at times, but if you practice lots and recognize patterns like everyone else said, you'll improve fast. A large vocabulary also helps but it'll build up the more you do cryptograms. If you skip ciphers you won't learn as much, so try to complete as many as possible and stick with them. Good luck!
                I also admit to googling quotes when I have one letter left, haha

Comment

One thing to do is start clicking on different squares, and observe what the pattern of squares that use the same letter is. I often am able to correctly guess a letter from its pattern in the puzzle. Vowels especially are susceptible to guessing in this way. THere are also many patterned words like "that", "people", "success" (which comes up exceedingly often), etc. Of course, "that" can also be "test", "dead", "says","else", "ease", ... (many other choices). At some point you can see patterns in several small words in sequence, for example "those who", "he who", I don't insist on completing every puzzle, because it would ruin my average time, and I like to compete on speed. (It is mind-boggling to see solvers who solve every puzzle and yet beat my average time by alot. ) But if I did, I would resort to looking up quotes (of course that does not work with "unattributed"). Mostly, it is a learning curve, learning letter patterns and phrase patterns. Two letters at the end of a word is usually "s", "f", "l", or "e".

Comment

Theaxatium--There's a lot of good information in the all of the previous answers. Checking the author can also help because if the author is, say, Arnold Palmer, the quote is probably going to be golf related, so you start thinking along those lines. Also, you have to do the same thing that a piano player has to do to get to Carnegie Hall--Practice, Practice, Practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Theaxatium View Post

I thought about doing that, but thought it might get me banned.
                      That's right. I tested and I got banned.

Comment

Patricawilliams, you were banned from this site for finding a quote on a quote site? How would result in a fast solve, and how Admin would even know this had been done?

Comment

Patricawilliams many of us use quote sites to help solve puzzles. I don't understand why you were banned? Did you receive and explanation from ADMIN? If so, please post it, if not please ask why. I'm very curious because I've used assistance for years.

Comment

Originally posted by ChemEngineerMBA View Post
                            4. Always write in the coded letter you found all the way around and it will lead you to solve unknown letters very quickly.
                            ChemEngineerMBA, on this cryptograms platform, all instances of a letter fill in automatically as you type. Does that not happen for you when you play?

Comment

Originally posted by ChemEngineerMBA View Post

I do daily cryptograms in the newspaper, with pen and ink and no, they don't automatically fill in.
                              I've been doing them for years and rarely am unable to complete one.
                              OH! So you are a pen-and-paper cryptogram enthusiast, and you don't come here to solve cryptograms online? Do you print out puzzles from this site, to solve them on paper?

Before finding this website, I also solved the daily cryptogram in the newspaper for decades. This website's solving platform has reduced my pen-and-paper frequency to a few times a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X