No announcement yet.

A Tribute to abra a collection of her comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery." — Anais Nin

montyb
    June 24, 2021, 9:52 pm
    For myself I find this to be true. just because I know how light and water droplets interact to create rainbows in no way diminishes the wonder I get actually seeing one in the sky. Likewise, even with knowing how differences in gravitational forces between the moon and different parts of the earth generate high and low tides, I was fascinated to sit on a beach and watch it happen.

abra
    October 19, 2022, 2:25 am
    Monty, what does the rainbow look like when you see it?

montyb
    March 15, 2023, 7:58 am
    Abra, even though my chromatically-challenged vision causes me to not perceive the subtle nuances, I can still see the bright colors and the wondrous spectacle. (Unfortunately, Abra passed away late last year* and will never see my reply to her question. I answer it in her honor.)

*Actually early this year -- January 2, 2023.

Comment

• Montyb, that is beautiful. You have sight beyond the visual. Be well.

Comment

• "God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die." — Bill Watterson

abra
        May 5, 2013, 12:04 am
        My 10 year old grandson has claimed the Calvin and Hobbes books that we bought for my son when he was a teenager. This weekend he carried one around reading aloud from it.

zenith
        March 19, 2014, 3:57 pm
        Funniest strip ever? (Farside, Peanuts in the running)

maradnu
        February 26, 2015, 8:45 am
        One of the all time best

LLapp
        April 11, 2015, 7:26 pm
        abra, that is so great how the most-loved humor gets passed down.

pj48
        January 13, 2017, 6:58 am
        I used to like Dilbert.

maradnu
        August 4, 2017, 2:30 pm
        I currently like Non-Sequitur

MadDoctor
        September 26, 2018, 1:57 pm
        Nobody's mentioned Bloom County yet.

318WOZ
        January 25, 2019, 1:40 am
        I remember Calvin and Hobbes being good. The only ones I pay any attention to in my paper are Pickles and Dilbert. The other stuff never seems to be funny or even particularly interesting. Pickles would have to be my favorite.

badbob
        September 29, 2019, 7:26 am
        Pogo

LLapp
        May 12, 2020, 4:43 am
        Pogo?! We have met the oldest one in the comment thread, and he is badbob.

oddcouple
        January 8, 2023, 3:56 pm
        RIP, abra. Your comment about your grandson is emblematic of how proud you were of your family.

Comment

• "We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh." — Agnes Repplier

abra
          January 3, 2019, 1:26 pm
          I see couples in restaurants, that are about the same age as my husband and me. They sit and eat a meal without speaking to each other. How can you stay married to someone you don't even talk to let alone laugh with. I'm so glad that after 50 years we still have things to talk about and LAUGH about.​

Comment

• "Offended vanity is the great separator in social life." — Sir Arthur Helps

abra
            December 28, 2016, 7:01 pm
            His name is a lovely complete sentence. I'd like to think when he married they hyphenated. He'd be Sir Arthur Helps-Withdishes.​

Comment

• "Youth fades; love droops, the leaves of friendship fall; A mother's secret hope outlives them all." — Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

abra
              May 10, 2021, 2:50 am
              Nice quote for Mothers' Day. Thankfully, I still have love.​

Comment

• (I have included this exchange to illustrate abra's kind interest in other players and their families, as well as to let you (LLapp) know that she saw your response, in case you don't make it back to this quote.)

"She had fortunately always her appetite for news. The pure flame of the disinterested burned in her cave of treasures as a lamp in a Byzantine vault." — Henry James

LLapp
                September 25, 2014, 2:20 pm
                My mother used to say about Henry James' writing, "I get an image of someone carrying too many grocery bags, with one of them tearing open and dropping all over the ground." This quote is just like that.

abra
                December 19, 2014, 3:34 pm
                LLapp, I just read that you're an editor. It sounds like your mom is very literary. Is she or was she an editor too?

LLapp
                December 24, 2016, 3:39 pm
                abra, two years later, I finally got this quote again. My mom was a writer at first -- she wrote short stories, attempted a novel, and even got a few feature articles published in the Sunday paper. Then she discovered music, and she found she preferred the community of ensemble playing to the solitary writing life -- that change happened in the late 1960s, when I was 9 or 10, and she remained a musician and then a respected music teacher, till she died in 2012. All along, though, she was a voracious reader, and she was so happy to see me pick up that thread of writing that she had left behind. I do miss her . . . thank you for asking!

wvwoman
                March 3, 2017, 2:04 pm
                thanks for sharing, llapp--quite interesting! and thanks for asking her, abra.

abra
                January 29, 2022, 2:20 am
                I've waited a really long time for that answer. ) Thank you, LLapp.

Comment

• Thank you, Eureka! I had not seen that quote since abra responded. Nice to see it now, in early January.

Comment

• "A God without dominion, providence, and final causes, is nothing else but fate and nature."
                    — Alexander Pope

abra
                    April 20, 2019, 2:19 am
                    Did he speak in prose? Or am I just missing the poetry?

kb83
                    October 9, 2023, 11:41 am
                    abra (of blessed memory) , apparently he waxed prosaic occasionally! In your honor, here's my poor attempt to iambically pentameterize it. A God who does not carry any weight / Is just a name for nature or for fate.​
                    ​​

Comment

• "Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making." — John Milton

abra
                      June 1, 2017, 11:59 am
                      Wow, we must be having a lot of "learning" going on around here this evening.

abra
                      July 7, 2019, 2:18 am
                      * Must have been one of those nights.

Comment

• "She is a peacock in everything but beauty." — Oscar Wilde

abra
                        July 1, 2014, 3:44 pm
                        It all goes well, until you get to PEACOCK.

abra
                        February 21, 2015, 3:05 pm
                        A few months later, I had absolutely no memory of PEACOCK.

abra
                        June 8, 2015, 9:48 am
                        Again, when I mentally tried all the letters and got to P, THEN I remembered it was PEACOCK. Sheesh.

abra
                        June 29, 2018, 10:25 am
                        I have done this one a few times over the years, and I NEVER remember peacock.

abra
                        June 3, 2020, 10:58 pm
                        My last comment was two years ago, and I didn't have an inkling what that word was.

Jrdad
                        October 18, 2020, 3:29 pm
                        Abra, you are a beauty in everything but 'peacock'.

Comment

• "To remind a man of the good turns you have done him is very much like a reproach." — Demosthenes

Eureka
                          December 17, 2020, 7:27 pm
                          Remember that time I drove you to the airport, Demosthenes, during rush hour In a blizzard?

universalmom
                          August 30, 2021, 3:56 pm
                          that's usually exactly what it is

Fudi
                          October 24, 2021, 12:13 pm
                          Demosthenes: I do, Eureka. There was that one hairpin turn that you took kind of fast. That was a good turn. Exciting. Made me feel alive. Thanks!

abra
                          November 18, 2021, 2:09 am
                          Oh, sure, Demo, you remember Eureka driving you to the airport, but who was it who loaded up the truck and helped you to move across Athens? You didn't even spring for McGyros.

Comment

• abra's comment follow-up made me laugh...

"Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking."

— Clifton Fadiman

Comments on this Puzzle:
                            unicorn64
                            April 12, 2013, 8:14 pm

This is so true, I've thought a lot about not thinking as I've tried to fall asleep.
                            mtvoyager
                            March 22, 2015, 7:30 am

76 seconds
                            YorkiesRule
                            December 10, 2015, 5:13 am

Not thinking doesn't work. Do you know what works best for me? I decide that since I can't sleep anyway, I should probably go and get some work done. Once I start thinking about getting up and working, I fall right asleep
                            abra
                            August 1, 2016, 10:16 am

I'll try it, but I think I won't be able to convince myself that I'd actually get up and work. I'll report back someday...
                            abra
                            February 1, 2017, 1:21 pm

I was right. I didn't believe myself.

Comment

• "Sales are contingent upon the attitude of the salesman - not the attitude of the prospect." — W. Clement Stone

saipanwriter
                              October 5, 2012, 9:15 am
                              I don't like salesmen.

jobdevaa
                              July 27, 2013, 11:15 pm
                              Be careful when and to whom you say that. Maybe a good friend's parent, spouse or child is a salesperson. We're everywhere. You might want to review your definition of salesman. Not every salesperson is Willy Loman.

kb83
                              February 29, 2016, 6:07 am
                              I agree with both comments. Can we say, THIS quote and the corresponding philosophy tend to make me hate salesmen?

darkyr
                              May 23, 2016, 7:33 am
                              I hate my good friend's parent, the salesman.

abra
                              June 25, 2017, 2:45 pm
                              LOL, darkyr. Ha, my mom was a Tupperware lady for decades.

abra
                              July 2, 2018, 9:34 am
                              A few days ago we bought a car. Young salesman, everything was AWESOME or TERRIFIC. He called the insurance company to have them transfer coverage. He was on speaker and the guy at the Insurance company sounded just like him. Then we talked to another guy who kept saying EXCELLENT, I was about to start laughing hysterically, so I coughed to cover it up, and he asked if he could get me some water. I had such a hard time getting it under control. When he left, I did start laughing out loud and managed to get it under control before he came back. TMI, I know.

Eureka
                              April 7, 2019, 6:59 pm
                              Abra, that is hilarious. I've been in those situations also.

LLapp
                              March 6, 2021, 3:20 am
                              Abra, that was great. I bet your husband knew you weren't really coughing.

Comment

• "Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. " — Harold S. Hulbert

abra
                                July 6, 2014, 2:46 pm
                                But they always deserve it. Even when they don't.

Barnabas
                                June 1, 2016, 2:17 am
                                I was essentially going to say what abra said, only abra put it a little bit better.

LLapp
                                August 21, 2017, 4:48 pm
                                First I was going to say what abra said, and then I was going to say what Barnabas said.

No2son
                                April 25, 2019, 6:31 pm
                                All that has been needed to be said has been said.

Comment

Working...
                                X