• Show
Clear All

• Comments on this Puzzle:

saipanwriter
    September 14, 2013, 12:57 am
    or go south to year-round warmer climes
    kb83
    May 7, 2014, 8:20 am
    I love that there is an "s" in his first name.
    DeskJockey
    August 17, 2014, 4:06 pm
    ..just to hit the ball, and touch 'em all...a moment in the sun.
    Allen
    November 3, 2014, 4:23 am
    There's an 's' in his last name, too. Coincidence? I think not!
    abra
    October 6, 2015, 8:55 am
    I've always assumed that "Rogers" was a family name. A check with wikipedia confirms that his mother's maiden name was Rogers.
    LLapp
    August 21, 2016, 1:13 pm
    Each of us plays many roles; we should all hang an S at the end of our names.
    skeeter
    March 17, 2017, 3:38 am
    skeeters agrees.
    abra
    November 27, 2018, 6:35 pm
    I love this quote. As soon as Christmas is over, I will be feeling this way. -- abras
    abra
    September 26, 2019, 9:22 pm
    After the end of the 2019 season, I may be a little apprehensive about the return of baseball. Nah, I'm a cub fan. We'll get 'em nest year.
    abra
    April 18, 2020, 5:05 pm
    And now I'd be so happy just to see them play. As Ernie said, ''let's pay two''.
    abra
    June 28, 2021, 1:54 am
    I have an LED menu board in my kitchen. For the past three years, I have put this quote up in late winter. See you next time.
    abra
    December 4, 2022, 9:57 pm
    Hi, abra. I'm so surprised to see you here.​

Comment

• "If you put off everything till you're sure of it, you'll never get anything done." — Norman Vincent Peale

JenDiaz72
      November 12, 2014, 11:26 am
      You trying to tell me to stop playing games and get back to work?

montyb
      November 26, 2014, 1:29 pm
      I think I'll dive into another puzzle right away.

marnita
      October 15, 2016, 6:43 am
      Onward!

camper228
      May 7, 2017, 5:08 am
      Just one more puzzle and then I'll get back to work

abra
      December 1, 2018, 12:12 pm
      marnita, your comment made me think about a time when we were moving to Indiana. I saw on the map a town near the base called ''Onward''. It sounded perfect. I wanted to live in Onward, Indiana. It turned out to be a near ghost town in the middle of the cornfields. It had a feed store, and a junk shop. I'm not sure if it still had a post office. Onward...

Comment

• "My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it." — Mark Twain

Universalmom
        September 26, 2012, 2:57 pm
        I love this quote - there's a wealth of warmth, wisdom and truth in it.

thresa
        June 7, 2014, 5:35 pm
        hooray for wonderful, wild, witty sons

LLapp
        December 2, 2014, 5:12 pm
        I love this quote too. My son was a challenge and also a great soul from the start.

GtrZan
        September 1, 2016, 5:42 am
        my wife texted me at work just last week... "Help! Heavy metal guitar in the basement, Hungarian Dance violin upstairs, and me in the middle!" with a frowny face. My reply, "sing it with me now, 'You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this ba-aack'" Her reply? "Yeah, I know"

abra
        April 25, 2019, 3:00 am
        GtrZan, stock up on earplugs then sit back and smile. Empty nests are too quiet sometimes.

blueladyblue
        June 27, 2020, 6:46 pm
        I think this sentimentalizes troublesome children. My son was wonderful, the most perfect child I ever could imagine -- until puberty. Then he made up for lost time and the following few years were the worst of my life. There's trouble -- and there's TROUBLE!

abra
        April 10, 2021, 5:54 pm
        We probably could have told by the time he was three, that our son would be dutiful. We don't ask him for help, but if we ever needed it he'd be right here. Nice to know now that we're growing older.

Synonymous
        January 13, 2022, 10:11 pm
        But you love them, no matter what.

blueladyblue
        May 6, 2022, 9:21 pm
        Yes, we do.

momof7
        June 20, 2022, 5:18 pm
        This made me smile and think of one child in particular.​

Comment

• "Man cannot live on chocolate alone, but woman sure can." — Unattributed

skeeter
          April 28, 2015, 5:16 pm
          If I have but five minutes left on Earth, I want some chocolate and a foot rub, then I'll be ready to go.​

abra
          April 25, 2022, 2:31 am
          I'd even give up the chocolate for the foot rub.​

Comment

• "The purest and most thoughtful minds are those which love color the most." — John Ruskin

abra
            July 13, 2015, 1:41 pm
            Usually, when they speak of someone who loves color, it means someone who surrounds themself with a lot of bright colors. Pastels, and neutrals are colors too. Who doesn't love color?

darkyr
            February 24, 2017, 2:53 am
            Everyone loves color, but it is a contest to see who is the most pure by loving color more than everyone else. On your mark, get set, GO!

Marboy
            April 7, 2017, 12:54 pm
            Ummm, teal - I really love the colour teal!

abra
            April 19, 2017, 1:35 pm
            This room is bright red. I am wearing bright red today. Our dining room is cadet blue. I win.

Comment

• Lots of grandmother memories, plus a message from Abra to her grandsons. (And I love her message to me at the end.)

"Uncles and aunts, and cousins, are all very well, and fathers and mothers are not to be despised; but a grandmother, at holiday time, is worth them all." — Fanny Fern

oddcouple
              January 4, 2013, 2:32 am
              I miss mine.

gryhnd51
              August 20, 2013, 4:13 am
              If you were lucky, like I was, to have had that truly "wonderful grandmother"...then this quote will surely touch your heart and bring back happy memories.

wvwoman
              April 9, 2014, 12:53 am
              oh, gryhnd51, i had one of those wonderful grandmothers--besides doting on me (!), she taught me so many things, like canasta, huck weaving, how to make a bed, how to bake...lovely memories.

Quizzical
              July 2, 2014, 6:23 am
              You were truly blessed.

killdozer
              December 27, 2015, 6:23 am
              I never like these kinds of warm fuzzy generalizations. Not all grandmothers are wonderful - or mothers or fathers or anything else.

wigoddess
              December 15, 2016, 5:08 pm
              True enough killdozer... I had one warm, fuzzy and loving grandmother and the other wasn't.

Persephone59
              January 8, 2017, 9:04 pm
              I have a beautiful granddaughter, who's 11 now. She has 3 grandmothers. I am her father's mother. I am the one who lives far away, the other 2 (her maternal grandmother and my ex's wife) are near at hand. I am totally left out. And yes, I've lived here since my son was young.

abra
              September 15, 2017, 2:11 pm
              I didn't live that near to my grandmother, I had only one living grandmother. She was tremendously talented, a wonderful baker and cook, and an expert at all needlework and crafts. I loved her and I know she loved me, but I don't think our relationship was as gryhnd and wvwoman have described theirs.

CCCookie
              June 27, 2018, 2:08 pm
              I never knew my grandparents. I made sure my sons knew their grandmothers; their grandfathers died by the time my oldest son was 4. I've tried to be a good grandmother -- but it hasn't always been easy. When parents don't provide much discipline it's difficult for grandchildren to appreciate discipline from a grandmother. Nevertheless, I try to create good memories with my grandsons.

zayda1
              August 1, 2018, 11:11 am
              I had the best grandmother, & coincidentally her name was Fanny F. just like the author of this quote. She & my equally wonderful grandfather lived just a half block away when I was a child. They didn't have easy lives (among other things, everyone they left behind when they came to US was later murdered in the Holocaust) but they were never bitter. Although she's been gone almost 50 years, I still hear my grandmother's voice often.

skeeter
              March 5, 2019, 11:54 pm
              wvwoman, you really brought back a great memory. My sixth grade teacher taught all of her students huck weaving, which she called Swedish huck embroidery. It was part of our studies of various countries and their cultural endeavors. I still have the two hand towels I made that year!

abra
              October 26, 2020, 3:01 am
              I hope my Grandsons will remember me and love me. I think that they will. They are teens now but i know they have memories from when they were little. We decorated cookies at Christmas, and made ornaments. We painted and did crafts. I hope they'll remember those things.

abra
              August 4, 2021, 7:25 pm
              I have a collection of beautiful felt ornaments made by my grandmother, probably about 30 of them. There are stars, elephants, rocking horses, Christmas Trees, and many others. They're beaded and have sequins. It's hard not to remember my grandmother at Christmas time.

LLapp
              January 10, 2022, 2:06 am
              I would be such an awesome grandmother. Sigh.

abra
              May 15, 2022, 10:48 pm
              One of these days, LLapp, one of your kids will give you this fantastic, news. You will want to shout it from the roof tops, and they will tell you ''Don't tell anyone''.
              Last edited by LLapp; 07-20-2023, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• A p​recious one from abra:

"Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around."
                — Rick Reilly

Comments on this Puzzle:
                montyb
                May 22, 2012, 8:08 pm

And next week you go do it again.
                LLapp
                September 30, 2014, 8:46 am

I had no idea that golf was such a brutal game until I started doing these cryptograms.
                Barnabas
                December 1, 2014, 3:39 pm

You're a glutton for punishment, Monty.
                wigoddess
                February 19, 2017, 6:56 am

nope.. not into golf... yet
                montyb
                July 19, 2019, 11:18 am

Yet I am so very close to finally breaking 80.
                imsoeasy
                December 16, 2019, 12:22 am

You'd think these golfers are swinging their clubs at each other.
                Ian123
                June 23, 2020, 2:13 pm

I think sometimes they are.
                abra
                September 12, 2020, 2:49 am

When I was a teen, wee moved to a new house that was a block from a 9 hold golf course. I don't know if my dad ever played golf before, but he played then. I just remember that it gave new things to buy him for gifts. Bermuda shorts and polo shirts. He didn't live to be old. I'm glad it made him happy.
                Synonymous
                September 16, 2020, 12:36 pm

Spent 10 minutes looking for my ball once. Finally someone yelled out "Look in the hole!" I did and it was my first hole in one. Surprise! And, montyb I seldom broke 90. Keep going.
                marnita
                December 15, 2020, 4:24 pm

My father tried to take up golf, but he had a terrible temper, so he didn't stay with it for long.
                abra
                June 23, 2022, 10:28 pm

I found out on FB that that golf course I mentioned above was the first golf course west of the Allegheneys. When they added nine holes it became the first eighteen hole course in the country. It was soon turned back into nine holes. We never knew that it was historic.

Comment

• And his name is a whole sentence!! One of abra's favorite things. I wonder if she noticed it -- she must have, right?

"Despite what they tell you, there are simply no moral absolutes in a complex world." — Berkeley Breathed

abra
                  August 22, 2018, 6:33 pm
                  One of my son's very favorites. We had a terrible time trying to find a DVD of A Wish For Wings That Work, for Christmas one year.

LLapp
                  October 6, 2019, 1:18 am
                  Abra, your son had great taste in cartoons. Does he still have them?

abra
                  February 1, 2020, 6:46 pm
                  Yes, and he's passed them down to his kids.

Comment

• "A mother's heart is always with her children. " — Proverb

abra
                    May 9, 2015, 11:59 am
                    Tomorrow is Mother's Day. I sometimes feel sorry for my son, because he's our only child, and he's on the receiving end of a lot of "heart". He bears it well though.​

Comment

• (This made me laugh.)

"The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there." — Robert M. Pirsig

abra
                      August 5, 2011, 8:58 pm
                      ZEN - I kept trying to use MEN.

haverwench
                      January 12, 2013, 10:32 pm
                      Which doesn't work, grammatically.

WRQ9
                      February 1, 2013, 9:37 am
                      Nor does it follow the rule of non-equivalent clues.

abra
                      March 27, 2016, 12:32 pm
                      I tried MEN again, and yes, I knew that the grammar was wrong. Zen just didn't come to mind, and I couldn't figure out what other word to use. Then there's the fact that I didn't get the memo about the rule of non-equivalent clues. )

darkyr
                      September 16, 2016, 9:03 am
                      I was shorted the same memo.

LeonaB
                      May 22, 2018, 4:27 pm
                      The rule of non-equivalent clues?!

abra
                      August 25, 2018, 5:51 pm
                      ^Apparently if you know it, this quote is a cinch.

Comment

• Nostalgia for Abra's son...

"The world began when I was born and the world is mine to win." — Badger Clark

montyb
                        November 24, 2012, 11:59 pm
                        Badger Clark was a cowboy poet and the first poet laureate of South Dakota. (link)

lainie18
                        February 9, 2013, 2:51 am
                        Well, I guess he didn't win the world, but he won South Dakota

LLapp
                        November 21, 2015, 6:58 pm
                        I wonder if he knew Fargo North, Decoder.

abra
                        August 25, 2018, 1:39 pm
                        The Electric Company was such a good show for kids learning to read. My son could read before he started school, but when he was about nine or ten years old, we all watched The Electric Company together. It was so funny at times. One of the best parts was Morgan Freeman as Easy Reader but Skip Hinnant as Fargo North Decoder was good too.

LLapp
                        March 9, 2019, 2:14 am
                        Abra, my son was an early reader like yours, but I insisted on watching Electric Company with him because I loved the show just for the entertainment. Believe it or not, it was my 10th grade biology teacher who got me hooked on it -- he finished a lecture with a few questions, and then added "And, what about Naomi?" I asked him what that was about and then went home that afternoon and watched the show, because my bio teacher could do no wrong.

badbob
                        June 22, 2019, 4:51 am
                        when my son was a child (he's 40 now) damn i'm old. our local PBS station showed Sesame Street, The Electric Company and Mr Rogers back to back to back we watched them all . then we watched Inspector Gadget for realism

Eureka
                        May 21, 2020, 10:18 pm
                        The Westerner (first stanza) My fathers sleep on the sunrise plains, And each one sleeps alone. Their trails may dim to the grass and rains, For I choose to make my own. I lay proud claim to their blood and name, But I lean on no dead kin; My name is mine, for the praise or scorn, And the world began when I was born And the world is mine to win.

TimmyTee
                        July 5, 2020, 8:36 pm
                        Thanks Eureka. That fleshes it out MUCH better. The cryptogram sounded awfully solipsistic.

abra
                        April 23, 2021, 10:07 pm
                        Thank you, Eureka.

abra
                        April 23, 2021, 10:12 pm
                        Cute story, LLapp. I love that so many of us watched with our kids. HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Comment

• "An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home." — Unattributed

abra
                          November 8, 2015, 8:31 am
                          Truth is, she may have been quite happy that he was out on his muddy river bank. That gave her the afternoon to do cryptos.​

Comment

• "The trouble with living alone is that it's always your turn to do the dishes." — Unattributed

abra
                            September 4, 2020, 1:12 am
                            One of the nice thing since my husband retired as that we clean up together after dinner. He scrubs the pans. We load and unload the dishwasher together. One of us cleans the stove top and counters One of us puts away leftovers. He takes out the garbage.

LLapp
                            October 11, 2020, 2:42 am
                            Abra, I think you and your husband deserve a trophy for working that out so nicely.

Comment

• "Hearing protection is a sound investment." — Unattributed

opallady
                              May 1, 2013, 2:08 am
                              So is "wearing" protection.

abra
                              June 14, 2013, 12:58 am
                              But without the pun :0)

Comment

• "All love is probationary, a fact which frightens women and exhilarates men." — Mignon McLaughlin

abra
                                April 24, 2021, 10:58 pm
                                I never loved my husband probationally and I never felt like I was on probation. I guess after all these years we're both slightly exhilarated.

Eureka
                                March 4, 2022, 2:14 am
                                Your comments about your marriage always delight me, abra.

Comment

Working...
                                X