Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka
    replied
    (To abra's son: yes, she's the one who said it!)

"The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path." — Mason Cooley

abra
    April 21, 2015, 11:03 am
    Sewing machines self destruct in my hands. There is something about me, that a sewing machine,doesn't love.

gryhnd51
    June 11, 2015, 9:30 pm
    Or perhaps something about a sewing machine that YOU don't love, Abra! It helps to have had a grandmother who taught you all the basics, though.

abra
    February 27, 2016, 1:33 pm
    My grandmother was a wonderful seamstress, and extremely good at all needle crafts. She never taught me anything. I wish I'd live nearer to her.

marnita
    October 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
    I sympathize, abra. I used to sew and enjoyed it very much, but then my machine died. I bought another and it died almost immediately. I think they just don't make them the way they used to. Or maybe you just have to get a really expensive one?

Persephone59
    August 15, 2017, 9:51 pm
    I have my grandmother's old treadle machine, which I put an old Japanese all metal electric machine into. I was a seamstress, doing home dec, so I could stay home with my kids. I sewed my finger with Granny's machine, and the veneer is gone from the top because she hung her canary's cage above the machine, and he did love to take baths. Funny, I have a bird in my sewing room now... wonderful memories.

gryhnd51
    October 12, 2017, 5:38 pm
    I still have my grandmother's sewing machine, converted into one with a "knee peddle" and in a wonderful cabinet. That VERY old Singer will sew through ANYTHING, and I can't bear to part with it. I watched my Nana put the needle thru her finger and I've done it a few times myself....funny how it really doesn't hurt that much.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    (Some quotes were just made for abra.)

"I don't care how small or big they are, insects freak me out." — Alexander Wang

abra
    June 21, 2020, 6:09 pm
    I'm with you Mr. Wang.

abra
    September 26, 2021, 2:05 am
    I think I promised in a comment somewhere, that I would stop talking about creepy crawlies. I guess I kind of like lady bugs, the old kind, not the new ones that bite. Of course I like butterflies. That's all I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    (I hope abra's family continues to enjoy her bbq sauce and gravy for generations to come.)

"Wisdom is perishable. Unlike information or knowledge, it cannot be stored in a computer or recorded in a book. It expires with each passing generation." — Sid Taylor

SippyGurl
    February 16, 2017, 9:01 pm
    all those grandmas who just wouldn't give up the missing ingredient(s) in their recipes...

NotTooOld
    July 5, 2017, 1:19 am
    My grandma taught me how to make her meatloaf, but one of the ingredients was Aunt Lily's chili sauce and Aunt Lily didn't show me how to make that.

abra
    September 1, 2017, 2:27 pm
    My daughter-in-law, loves my bbq sauce, and my gravy. Her grandmother told her I would leave something out of the recipe. I showed her how to make both. I don't have any prize winners with secret ingredients. If I did, I wouldn't want them to die with me.

badbob
    November 20, 2018, 10:25 pm
    how did we get from wisdom to recipes?

LLapp
    July 9, 2019, 4:00 am
    Every great recipe is packed with wisdom, that's how.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    "Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some real satisfaction, that day is a loss." — Dwight Eisenhower

abra
    August 3, 2019, 1:20 am
    Because I am a person who believes in prayer, I do spend some time at the end of the day giving thanks. Most days it's pretty easy to find things to be thankful for. Things that were fun, things that brought joy. I'm always thankful for my family and for my home, even on sad days.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    "The first forty years of life give us the text; the next thirty supply the commentary on it. " — Arthur Schopenhauer

maradnu
    September 20, 2013, 11:58 am
    I'm past forty, but still writing the text.

Fudi
    August 26, 2019, 2:26 pm
    I hate texting. I'm sort of long-winded. No way I could get that first 40 years into a mere 160 characters.

abra
    November 25, 2021, 2:33 am
    I hate texting. I text one character at a time with my forefinger. I only like to text with my grandsons. They're fun to talk to, and they're always glad to hear from me.

LLapp
    January 20, 2022, 1:50 am
    I text with my pinky because it fits the tiny phone keyboard more easily.

Leave a comment:

• LLapp
    replied
    Originally posted by Synonymous View Post
    abra
    May 15, 2020, 10:11 pm
    You've shrunk. You'll have to get higher stools for you kitchen.
    See? That's Abra (or abra to be case-correct). She remembered that I'm short and that I need stools in my kitchen so I can reach shelves and work at the sink. She appreciated everyone here and remembered specific things about each of us, like old friends do. And chances are that we may have disagreed about some political thing on some other quote only minutes before she got to this one, and still she was warm and friendly.

Leave a comment:

• Synonymous
    replied
    "The world is not respectable; it is mortal, tormented, confused, deluded forever; but it is shot through with beauty, with love, with glints of courage and laughter."
    — George Santayana
    Comments on this Puzzle:

LLapp
    September 7, 2015, 6:28 pm
    So what the hell, let's stick around.
    BriddlesBob
    August 6, 2016, 7:24 am
    Go ahead, LLapp, try it!
    llapp
    March 6, 2019, 9:59 pm
    Still here.
    Eureka
    March 18, 2019, 2:44 pm
    Still here, but you've lost your capitals.
    abra
    May 15, 2020, 10:11 pm
    You've shrunk. You'll have to get higher stools for you kitchen.
    jbb33054
    September 12, 2021, 6:39 am
    LLapp
    October 12, 2021, 5:14 am
    Phew, got my capitals back.
    hrossa
    October 8, 2022, 3:04 pm
    abra and hrossa don't have capitals and right now no punctuation reminds me of e e cummings

ADD YOUR COMMENTS:

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    "The best mannered people make the most absurd lovers." — Denis Diderot

LLapp
    November 11, 2018, 5:56 pm
    How did he determine this? Did he get a grant?

Synonymous
    February 24, 2020, 3:44 pm
    Of course, peeping Tom.

abra
    August 5, 2021, 3:00 am
    He had a lab coat and a clipboard and no one ever asked what he was doing there.

Leave a comment:

• hrossa
    replied
    Awesome! Best smile of my day.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    "A first-rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting." — Abraham Maslow

abra
    November 30, 2021, 1:08 am
    Andy Warhol must have misunderstood.

Leave a comment:

• LLapp
    replied
    The "EEEK" thread, starring Abra and many others....

"Women are afraid of mice and of murder, and of very little in between." — Mignon McLaughlin

abra
    June 21, 2014, 8:42 am
    Actually, quite a few things in between.

wvwoman
    December 25, 2014, 5:27 am
    oh, come on, don't ruin the "women are strong" quote!!

LLapp
    January 2, 2015, 3:01 pm
    Eeeeeeeek!

montyb
    March 15, 2015, 3:36 pm
    Alphabetically, there is relatively little between mice and murder.

opallady
    May 4, 2015, 11:06 am
    I'm not afraid of mice, although I'd rather they stay out of my house.

LLapp
    October 19, 2015, 5:04 pm
    First time I ever saw a mouse in my home: I was blithely chatting on the phone with a friend when a tiny gray fur thing with big ears scurried across the dining room floor and under a closet door, I let out an "EEEK" and suddenly noticed I was standing on a chair. My friend on the phone said calmly, "Mouse?"

Roxanne
    December 7, 2015, 11:32 am
    Murdering mice, though -- lemme at 'em!!!

Hob
    June 7, 2016, 10:00 am
    Why mice? Now, rats...

marnita
    July 29, 2016, 12:02 pm
    I have nothing against mice. Cockroaches, on the other hand . . . .

MamaB
    January 12, 2017, 7:37 am
    I have 3 dogs and 4 cats. I'm not afraid of mice - except for the ones that are past their due dates.

kb83
    May 17, 2017, 4:14 am
    mosquitoes, mold, morgues, millionaires, ...

abra
    September 13, 2017, 6:54 pm
    Why is it that we say "eek" when we see a mouse? It seems like we save it just for mice, and apparently, we use it universally. Like it comes rippling up without thinking about it.

lertsek
    March 26, 2018, 4:09 pm
    Good point abra. Maybe cartoons drilled it into us.

KSSprague
    September 4, 2018, 3:33 pm
    I'm one of those that say eeek and jump up on the furniture. They just really creep me out.

LLapp
    November 27, 2018, 10:22 pm
    Abra - I know, right?! That first time, I didn't even realize I had jumped on the furniture. After my friend said "Mouse?" I said "How did you know?" She said, "Because that was a classic mouse eek! Are you standing on a chair?" Only then did I look down and see the chair under my feet. So yeah, this response must come from deep within the Olive Oyl unconscious mind.

Eureka
    July 6, 2019, 11:27 am
    I was babysitting at an old farmhouse, sitting in the kitchen quietly doing my homework, when a very large rat crawled out from under a cupboard door. I let out more than an "eek" but also found myself standing on my chair. The family came home to me holding a large roasting pan lid in my hand, staring at the spot where the rat had disappeared. Thank goodness it did not reappear because I am sure things would not have gone well for me.

blueladyblue
    August 28, 2019, 3:21 pm
    Love these rodent comments. First time I saw a mouse was when my dad was chasing after one in the living room with a broom. This particular little critter was a very sprite, very feisty little guy. My sisters and I were laughing our heads off, but it really got good when the mouse ran under our dad's trouser and up his leg. To this day I am not afraid of mice, and actually I think they're kinda cute.

abra
    May 21, 2020, 2:49 am
    I saw my mom take off her shoe and nail a mouse at ten feet on two different occasions many years apart. Never heard her say ''EEEK'' though.

Elephino
    February 25, 2021, 10:15 pm
    I'm going to start a podcast called "My Favorite Mice"

bigdave
    March 17, 2021, 7:12 pm
    For my wife, it's spiders. Definitely spiders.

abra
    December 22, 2021, 1:33 am
    Oh, spiders too, bigdave. They just don't make me say EEK!!. If they're large enough or close enough, they might make me scream.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    "No matter how far you have gone on a wrong road, turn back. "
    — Proverb

abra
    April 8, 2017, 6:11 pm
    I should have done this once when we lived in CA. I walked to a supermarket with my 3 year old son. I decided to take a short cut home. It was like 120 degrees with no shade. I knew I had made a mistake, but I was heading in the right direction, so I kept going. Of course I had to pick him up and carry him, and we walked, and walked. Finally a lady offered us a ride, and I who had been told all my life not to do so took a ride with a stranger. When we got home, he asked for water. I gave him a glass and the kid who hadn't wet himself since he was 1 1/2 drank and peed on the kitchen floor. I drank and burst into tears. By all means, turn back.

Leave a comment:

• Deanna48
    replied
    Classic abra:

"Thank Heaven, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and enjoy it. "
    — Logan Pearsall Smith

abra
    August 4, 2016, 7:48 am
    There are bugs out there.

Leave a comment:

• LLapp
    replied
    "Children can write poetry and then, unless they're poets, they stop when they reach puberty."* — Dennis Potter

abra
    October 25, 2021, 2:09 am
    I think I agree. I no little about poetry, but this sounds right to me. My daughter-in-law is a wonderful poet. I understand about half of what she writes, but when I find something she writes that I think is wonderful and share it on FB, everyone agrees.

abra
    July 16, 2022, 2:45 am
    OMgosh * know not no.

*Actually, that last "they" is missing from the quote when you solve it. Someday that typo will be fixed in the puzzles as well as in this forum.

Leave a comment:

• Deanna48
    replied
    "What's so remarkable about Love at first sight? It's when people have been looking at each other for years that it becomes remarkable. "
    — Unattributed

abra
    May 20, 2018, 6:17 pm
    We may have done this. I met my husband when I was a sophomore in HS. Over the years, i set him up with several of my friends, and he set me up with a couple of his. One day when we were all ''grown up''. We began to date each other seriously. This week, will be our 50th wedding anniversary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X