A Tribute to abra a collection of her comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tribute to abra a collection of her comments

I would like to honor abra, by asking you to post her comments from the Cryptograms Comments, that are warm and thoughtful, to comfort her readers and family. There are so many of us who want to keep abra's memory alive, so that we can laugh as she laughed and love as she loved for her family and friends.
    (I intentionally used "commas" in this message as a small abra_avatar37565_0.gif tribute to abra.)

abra’s last Chat post:
    abraCame out of the bedroom this morning and hubby said ''we don't have power''. Christmas Eve is a big day her and we have to hit the ground running. House was already cold. Such strong winds cooled..
    02:44 AM Dec 25abrait off and we have an electric heat pump. Fortunately, the power came back on by 10:30. There were a few scary minutes when the heat didn't kick in, but after a few minutes it did. We got all of...
    02:45 AM Dec 25abraour cooking and other projects done before our kids got here. All of the traditions were followed. Hope those who celebrate will have a wonderful and merry Christmas.
    02:46 AM Dec 25abraIf anyone is without power, hope it comes back on quickly. If it's snowing, I hope you don't have to go out. I have one sister in MI and one in IN so terribly cold. Stay warm and safe everyone.

Comment

"Really I don't dislike to cook, but what you cook is eaten so quickly. When you sew, you have something that will last to show for your efforts."
      — Elizabeth Travis Johnson

abra
      March 3, 2017, 1:44 pm
      The sewing gene runs strong in my family, but it skipped me entirely. I'm a good cook. I guess my recipes will have to be what lasts. It won't be sewing.

Comment

"The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination."
        — Elizabeth Hardwick

abra
        November 24, 2013, 10:06 am
        I don't know if it's the GREATEST gift or not, but it's a very good one. Last night I was thrilled to see my younger grandson with his nose in a book just like his older brother. I love that reading is special to them.

Comment

so sorry to hear about abra, such a sweet sweet soul <3

Comment

Synonymous, thank you for setting up this thread!
            Abra's comments were often very engaged in the flow of conversation, so you'd need to see the flow. Here's one (slightly abridged) 8-year conversation...

"When a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." — Prince Philip

abra
            October 27, 2013, 9:06 am
            THE Prince Phillip? He said that? I can't imagine that he ever opens the car door. Don't they have people for that? I would think they could if they wanted have hot and cold running, new cars.

dovid1946
            March 5, 2015, 3:25 pm
            I can't believe the attribution. Maybe it was the entertainer formerly known as Prince, or maybe it was Philip Roth, the novelist formerly known as Philip Roth

LLapp
            July 7, 2015, 11:50 am
            It's Phil Prince, the auto mechanic next to the divorce lawyer's office.

SippyGurl
            September 24, 2015, 7:25 am
            fp. had to google it. yup, it's the queen's husband.

abra
            June 24, 2016, 11:56 am
            My husband still opens the car door for me occasionally. The car isn't particularly new, and the wife is definitely not new. I still can't imagine Prince Phillip opening the car door for the queen. Do they sometimes go out for a drive just by themselves? If so, maybe then he opens her door. Probably when they run out to Walmart for toothpaste and diet Coke.

wvwoman
            August 28, 2016, 9:08 pm
            i initially had "bar door"...

letfreedomring
            January 20, 2017, 7:57 am
            Whoever gets to the door first opens it. Unless one is physically impaired.

universalmom
            March 19, 2017, 4:09 am
            How would Prince Philip know? He's probably not even allowed to open his own doors!

darkyr
            July 16, 2017, 11:52 am
            Maybe he sat on the curb and did a study. I'd be interested to see his data.

susanith
            October 12, 2017, 1:41 am
            Beyond all the former comments, how did the Prince get to be so cynical? Definitely rounds out his personality. (I guess)

kb83
            March 5, 2018, 7:43 am
            I'm afraid I think it is kind of witty, even if retro and non-PC.

SippyGurl
            April 17, 2018, 6:10 pm
            i believe he would open a car door, they don't go everywhere with a full entourage and even drive themselves! also, thought this quote was kinda cute that the queens hubs would be just a little cheeky monkey

darkyr
            December 9, 2019, 11:57 pm
            He certainly got into an accident while he was driving a car.

abra
            July 1, 2020, 1:47 am
            I completely forgot this one, I had him opening bar doors. That explains where the Prince was driving the queen, just round the corner to the pub.

blueladyblue
            July 10, 2020, 4:53 pm
            Ya know, I'm 71 and I always have and would still prefer to open my own doors, thank you very much. Unless my arms are too full, in which case, thank you very much. I'd do the same for you.

abra
            November 21, 2020, 8:43 pm
            As I said my husband does open my car door occasionally, usually when we're going out to dinner. All other doors he opens. If I'm with him, he opens the door. I don't mind having the door opened for me.

Fudi
            March 16, 2021, 8:46 pm
            My hubby almost always drives wherever we're going ... and we rarely go anywhere separately. And he still, after 14 years always opens the car door for me before getting in himself. It's kind of old-fashioned, but I find it sweet and gallant.

abra
            February 11, 2022, 9:07 pm
            LOL, now I will have a little picture of the Prince tucked in the corner of my brain. He's sitting on a curb in a car park. He has a clipboard and he's keeping count. Thank you darkyr. ) ...And RIP Prince Phillip.

Comment

"You have a wonderful child. Then, when he's thirteen, gremlins carry him away and leave in his place a stranger who gives you not a moment's peace." -- Jill Eikenberry

figmo on 2013-07-16 16:35:06
              You mean teenaged *boys* (note the use of "him" to refer to the child and not "her").

abra on 2014-11-30 09:19:47
              The gremlins never really kept my son. Apparently, they tried to coax him over to the dark side. He gave us a few rough days, but mostly he was a loving and amazing teenager.

JD_1947 on 2014-12-07 12:36:17
              . . I told my son about the gremlins . . . scared him so bad he didn't move out 'til he was 28 . . . .

montyb on 2015-05-02 10:25:00
              Wait.....we're supposed to move out?

Comment

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
                — Emily Bronte
                abra
                February 19, 2013, 11:38 pm
                I like this one!
                abra
                March 10, 2013, 3:06 am
                Still like it.
                wvwoman
                February 12, 2014, 8:17 am
                so do i--it's nice to read something sweet once in a while!
                universalmom
                September 4, 2014, 3:50 pm
                This is from Wuthering Heights! Said by Catherine about Heathcliff, a wild passionate statement
                abra
                March 13, 2016, 11:29 am
                Well, it's been 3 years, since I was here. I read this and though how sweet it was. I see that I was here before and mentioned that. )
                abra
                July 18, 2017, 9:50 am
                Thanks, universalmom.
                kb83
                November 28, 2020, 7:17 pm
                It really is pretty good!
                abra
                August 14, 2021, 9:41 pm
                *thought.
                pickleball
                December 29, 2022, 1:11 pm
                soul-mates

Comment

Originally posted by Deanna48 View Post
                  "Really I don't dislike to cook, but what you cook is eaten so quickly. When you sew, you have something that will last to show for your efforts."
                  — Elizabeth Travis Johnson

abra
                  March 3, 2017, 1:44 pm
                  The sewing gene runs strong in my family, but it skipped me entirely. I'm a good cook. I guess my recipes will have to be what lasts. It won't be sewing.
                  This is abra's son. When I worked at McDonald's my pants were coming apart along the waistline. One of the women about my mom's age said "Doesn't your mother have a sewing machine?" And I said "Yes, but it falls apart in her hands" "That's a terrible thing to say about your mother." "She's the one who said it".

But she was a good cook.

Comment

Hey, abra's son, that is so funny! And it's so her. She would love that you shared that anecdote here. Thank you!

Comment

Abridged:

"From what we get, we can make a living - what we give, however, makes a life."
                      — Arthur Ashe

susanith
                      December 8, 2016, 11:17 pm
                      Arthur Ashe was a good man.

--

abra
                      November 28, 2017, 6:56 pm
                      Yes, he was.

--

abra
                      May 2, 2020, 1:48 am
                      When really wonderful people die. It hurts for a long time.

Comment

"The lovely thing about being forty is that you can appreciate twenty-five-year-old men more."

Colleen McCullough

abra
                        May 15, 2020, 11:01 pm
                        My husband says that we are the same age. I say that I am a year older. I hate that it bothers me, but it bothers me. My father told my mom that he was 2 years older than he was. Years later he started using his real age and she never believed him. When he died and she had to do the paperwork, she found out that he was telling the truth.

Comment

"Baseball fans are junkies, and their heroin is the statistic."
                          — Robert S. Wieder

abra
                          May 26, 2015, 10:03 am
                          It's May 26, and I'm still going to say "Wait till this year".

abra
                          July 22, 2018, 5:46 pm
                          Go, Cubbies!!

Comment

"We cannot escape fear. We can only transform it into a companion that accompanies us on all our exciting adventures."
                            — Susan Jeffers

abra
                            August 20, 2017, 5:42 pm
                            My imaginary play mate Penelope Panicattack

Comment

"Absence is one of the most useful ingredients of family life, and to dose it rightly is an art like any other. "
                              — Freya Stark

abra
                              November 10, 2018, 2:13 pm
                              For 21 years in the military my husband never had an unaccompanied tour. He had lots of TDYs (temporary duty) though. They did make us SO happy to be together.

Comment

Working...
                              X