Inspired Poetry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspired Poetry

I like LLapp's idea of having a forum thread for some of the original poetry written by our members, often inspired by the quotes, but sometimes inspired by the comments of others. So, without further ado...

(This one needs to be read out loud with a French accent.)

"Accent is the soul of language - it gives to it both feeling and truth." — Jean Jacques Rousseau

kb83
    April 1, 2022, 9:38 am
    A philosopher named Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Never just guessed, he just knew so, That with his accent They knew what he meant, And so he urged others to do so.

Comment

Always love kb83's limericks!!

Comment

"What call thou solitude? Is not the earth with various living creatures, and the air replenished, and all these at thy command to come and play before thee? " — John Milton

DrCryptell
        December 22, 2020, 3:59 am
        I only wish that "thy dost fly" and "thee must flee," Each makes me cry to a huge degree. They make it hard to solve the quote. Since both those words get caught in my throat.

Comment

"Hollywood is not suited for me, and I am not suited for it." — Dr. Seuss

LLapp
          September 18, 2019, 5:48 pm
          I will not write for Hollywood, I would not live there if I could. I do not care for movie backlots, dog-eat-dog, or mega-jackpots.

Comment

"Money won't make you happy... but everybody wants to find out for themselves. " — Zig Ziglar

DrCryptell
            July 31, 2022, 11:59 pm
            Money makes me happy; sickness makes me sad. Riches - they ain't crappy; but illness turns life bad.

Comment

"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."
              — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

pj48
              July 9, 2015, 7:12 am
              He's a poet and doesn't know it, but his feet show it; they're long fellows.

Comment

"If you want poets in space, you'll have to wait."
                — Buzz Aldrin
                kb83
                November 5, 2020, 1:18 pm
                If any wish the poet's touch in space, They should know this-- it will not come apace.

kb83
                September 22, 2022, 5:08 pm
                If any wish the poet's touch in space, They should know this-- it will not come apace. For now, the sky and moon of bards of yore, We vest in math and science to explore.

Comment

"Nobody ever committed suicide while reading a good book, but many have while trying to write one."
                  — Robert Byrne

darkyr
                  May 8, 2018, 10:47 am
                  Here lies the next great author. With themes and plots he would not bother. He drew his pen in one bold stroke, His blood like ink, the page will soak.

Comment

(Okay, this isn't actually a poem, but it does describe montyb's poetry writing method. And it made me laugh.)

"How does the poet transform his banal thoughts into such stunning forms, into beauty?" — Joyce Carol Oates

montyb
                    November 13, 2018, 1:51 am
                    I do so in my poetic writings by meditating on the myriad rhyming combinations for "Nantucket".

Comment

"A man of business may talk of philosophy; a man who has none may practice it." — Alexander Pope

killdozer
                      October 23, 2018, 1:30 pm
                      Pope was saying that people who have nothing are free to actually put philosophical ideas into practice rather than just talk about it.

kb83
                      November 12, 2021, 1:51 pm
                      Thanks, killdozer. While businessmen use ethics in their speech, The one with naught doth practice what they preach.

Comment

"Reach for the stars, even if you have to stand on a cactus."
                        — Susan Longacre

kb83
                        October 7, 2015, 4:24 am
                        I tried to jump over a cactus/ My quadruceps needed the practus./ I'd no cause to fear it/ But soon lost my spirit / With my corpus no longer intactus.
                        LLapp
                        April 20, 2016, 7:44 am
                        kb83, what an amazing limerick!! I googled each line and found nothing, so I'm guessing that you wrote it. Wonderful!
                        marnita
                        October 27, 2016, 2:36 pm
                        That has got to be one of the best limericks ever!
                        BoggyBoots
                        December 26, 2016, 2:56 pm
                        Great KB
                        kat
                        August 2, 2017, 4:08 am
                        Way to go kb83! So well done!
                        kb83
                        November 10, 2017, 9:30 am
                        Guilty as charged.
                        echo
                        March 2, 2019, 7:42 pm
                        Love it, kb!!
                        Eureka
                        July 13, 2020, 3:12 pm
                        Nice, kb83! You are our unofficial poet laureate.

Comment

Kb83 ends it with a pun on being and nothingness...

"Being is. Being is in-itself. Being is what it is." — Jean-Paul Sartre

kb83
                          January 9, 2020, 4:50 pm
                          A philosopher much existential.
                          Has boiled it down to the essential.
                          Being is what it is,
                          and not what it's not
                          And nothing is more consequential.​

Comment

"To the real artist in humanity, what are called bad manners are often the most picturesque and significant of all. " — Walt Whitman

blueladyblue
                            January 30, 2020, 5:07 pm
                            There once was an artist in humanity when bad manners were conflated with vanity But let's interject With the most picturesque and significant of all: it's insanity.​

Comment

"When your suffering is a little greater than my suffering I feel that I am a little cruel."
                              — Antonio Porchia​

kb83
                              March 21, 2023, 12:13 am
                              Alas, poor Antonio Porchia, His brain went through mental contortia, It's always in vain, All pain and no gain, No wonder he had no consortia.​

Comment

Working...
                              X