Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KB83 just penned that one this week!!

Comment

Haiku from kb83. I've changed his slashes to line breaks.

"There are times when fear is good. It must keep its watchful place at the heart's controls. There is advantage in the wisdom won from pain." — Aeschylus​

kb83
      May 5, 2022, 10:58 am
      Fear can oft be good.
      Watching over all of us
      Wisdom won from pain.​

Comment

(I'm so glad I came across this delightful version of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken"!)

"When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply and did not take, my heart is like to break." — Akhenaton

Lurker
        July 23, 2013, 4:34 pm
        When I did this one, the letters representing the word "look" were "beer". While that made it easier to decide that the double letter should be O, it was very distracting!

montyb
        April 25, 2015, 7:17 am
        The beer not taken?

badbob
        August 15, 2016, 12:12 am
        it is obvious that he was looking for beer

darkyr
        April 6, 2019, 3:54 pm
        So true montyb. May it please the court: Two beers presented on a bar of wood And sorry I could not drink both And be one drinker, long I stood And pondered the first as well I could Of the select ingredients of which it quoth. Then looked the other, just as cold, And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was frothy, rich and bold; Though as the ABV foretold, They were really about the same, And both that evening equally dear In bottles frosted and dark. Oh, I kept the first as a second beer! As knowing how beer leads on to beer, I wandered out into the park. I shall be telling this with sigh Somewhere days and days hence: Two beers presented on a bar, and I I took them both to keep me high, And, may it please the court, that is why I peed the fence.

LLapp
        July 13, 2019, 1:48 am
        Pretty deft adaptation, darkyr. We need to have a poetry festival made out of impromptu poetry in the comments.

Comment

Oh that is just wonderful darkyr

Comment

(Okay, technically this is a song, but I couldn't resist including it. And isn't a song just a poem paired with music?)

"Be enthusiastic. Remember the placebo effect - thirty percent of medicine is showbiz." — Ronald Spark

blueladyblue
            June 14, 2018, 8:36 am
            There's no business like the science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease business like no business I know. Everything about it is ahealing, everything that insurance will allow. Nowhere could you get that sickly feeling when you are reeling an extra "ow."​

Comment

"There was a young man of Dundoo, whose limericks stopped at line two." — Anonymous

kb83
              October 26, 2014, 9:46 am
              But thanks to his friends/ There were no loose ends,/ And so he could start all anew.​

CryptoB
              October 19, 2018, 8:14 am
              He left unafraid, his lines were unmade, and was cited for limerick abuse.​

Comment

(First line in kb83's comment is not part of the limerick; it's meant to correct the spelling of the author's name.)

"Justice is the constant and perpetual will to allot to every man his due." — Domitus Ulpian

kb83
                March 9, 2022, 11:59 am
                It is Domitius Ulpian. A bright young lad named Domitius, Thought the law would be highly propitious, He studied nonstop And rose to the top But was killed in a manner most vicious.​

Comment

"It takes two to speak truth - One to speak, and another to hear." — Henry David Thoreau

kb83
                  May 18, 2017, 2:56 am
                  A one-legged monsieur from France
                  Asked Carmen Miranda to dance.
                  Said she 'neath her mango,
                  "It takes two to tango,
                  I can back up but you can't advance."

LLapp
                  January 2, 2019, 3:43 pm
                  kb83 -- Original, right? Wonderful.

kb83
                  August 5, 2022, 11:42 am
                  Yes, LLapp, this was one of my best efforts. I am particularly proud of the implied double meaning "two legs", which is a twist on the usual meaning of the phrase "it takes two".

Comment

"Language ought to be the joint creation of poets and manual workers. " — George Orwell

bansaisequoia
                    February 3, 2010, 7:34 pm
                    This ode is not for shirkers,But earthly common workers, What bliss it is to be on, The level of a peon.

universalmom
                    January 14, 2013, 10:34 pm
                    Hahaha...that's awesome

LLapp
                    December 11, 2014, 7:10 pm
                    Bansais, did you write that? It's excellent.

skeeter
                    August 15, 2015, 9:52 am
                    I wish my pup would be on / The papers meant to peon.

universalmom
                    January 22, 2016, 1:55 pm
                    Even better, skeeter!!

abra
                    June 28, 2016, 2:32 pm
                    Such poets!! LOL, Skeeter.

Comment

(A two-author poem is particularly charming when one player finishes a poem that another player inadvertently starts.)

"Forgiveness is the scent that the rose leaves on the heel that crushes it " — Unattributed

wobray2
                      January 18, 2016, 12:57 am
                      The first time I saw this quote, it was "violets" (though there have been several variations per (link)

LLapp
                      April 8, 2017, 10:20 am
                      wobray2, the main difference is that roses are red and violets are blue.

darkyr
                      July 17, 2017, 8:02 am
                      Your heel smells of flowers, what did you do?

Comment

"All changes are more or less tinged with melancholy, for what we are leaving behind is part of ourselves." — Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr

kb83
                        January 2, 2019, 8:19 am
                        Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr Went for a drive in a shiny white car, ...

letfreedomring
                        September 16, 2019, 3:03 pm
                        to get to the neighborhood deli. She didn't go in, and continued her spin, going home with her still empty belly.

Comment

"We steal if we touch tomorrow. It is God's." — Henry Ward Beecher

DrCryptell
                          November 25, 2021, 9:34 pm
                          God can take tomorrow; I'll cede God yesterday. I want to keep the present, And frolic in today.

hrossa
                          December 27, 2022, 11:49 pm
                          It the poem yours, DrCryptell? If so, nice going!

Comment

(The winner of the challenge to change a quote into a rhyming couplet is.... kb83! )

"When you deplore the conditions in the world, ask yourself, am I part of the problem or part of the solution? " — Unattributed

kb83
                            May 30, 2023, 2:26 pm
                            Conditions in the world which you deplore, Ask if you help or are the reason for.​

Comment

(My comment is a quote from a book of children's poems. Skeeter's response is her own.)

"If you have no enemies you are apt to be in the same predicament in regard to friends." — Elbert Hubbard

LLapp
                              July 14, 2016, 9:07 pm
                              "I'm partial to the manatee, which emanates no vanity. It swims amidst anemones, and hasn't any enemies." - Jack Prelutsky

skeeter
                              October 22, 2017, 1:15 pm
                              "I'm partial to the cryptoquotes, which offer little anecdotes. They get some yes and some no votes. Their addicts find no antidotes." -- Me.

badbob
                              November 5, 2018, 4:10 am
                              nice skeeter. have you ever been to Nantucket?

Comment

"Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech." — Martin Tupper
                                Martin Farquhar Tupper (July 17, 1810 in London - November 1889 in Albury, Surrey) was an English writer, and poet, and the author of Proverbial Philosophy.

dovid1946
                                January 29, 2015, 10:24 am
                                He also was a peddler, going door to door selling his wares.

kb83
                                March 31, 2023, 12:07 pm
                                An itinerant salesman named Tupper, Oft asked if he could stay for supper, And then before partin', He'd fill up his carton, And snap shut its lower and upper.

Comment

Working...
                                X