You know what stinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't believe...

I don't think that alot of players are aware that when they hit the "check it "or the enter button (much faster btw) that time continues to be added to the puzzle until the completion screen comes up...this was proven with a stopwatch by two different players in completely different countries!!!

So any delay that happens after hitting "check it" or enter, before that congratulatory screen comes up, is added to the solve time.

Hence having a "code" in place that stops time immediately when hitting "check it" or enter should in theory solve the time added by any delay.

And if you lose internet connection after hitting enter et al, then your time should be recorded and the game completed...so when you come back you are not faced with that unenviable task to re-solve and solve.

Yikes, did that make sense...I think so.

Comment

just a thought

Is it technically even POSSIBLE for this sites servers to "catch" that you've finished, if at the same time as you finish, YOUR computer disconnects?

Ever since I downloaded firefox, my pages turn waaaaaaay more quickly than they did with IE....plus, the only times I was ever disconnected were with IE, not once since using firefox (which was recommended by Admin)

Comment

I've been using Mozilla for years, and have never looked back to IE since the switch. My Internet issues are more spawned from my lousy wireless adapter combined with the fact that we can't afford Internet in our household right now, so we're tagging off of a local unprotected WiFi source.

Comment

OK

So would that be the reason you are losing connection, because I have simple DSL and I too lose connection just as you, right after hitting check it...??

Comment

Originally posted by gryhnd51
            Is it technically even POSSIBLE for this sites servers to "catch" that you've finished, if at the same time as you finish, YOUR computer disconnects?
            Unfortunately, no. Once you lose your connection, the game server has no idea what you're doing or whether you've solved the puzzle. There is essentially no way to achieve what is being requested here via a browser-based online game like this one. We'd have to create a full-fledged windows application for something like this, which unfortunately is outside of my skillset.

Comment

thanks admin

When I asked that question, I was pretty sure that the answer was no, but since my technical skills are limited, I thought it should be asked.

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like the problems that folks are experiencing are due strictly to their own computers/connections/ or lack thereof screwing up and have nothing to do with the site.

Comment

Beth

I do not like to cause any disagreement, but I beg to differ because if that were so then why are so many of us from different parts of the world using different computers and browsers etc. all experiencing the same problem on this site. The same exact problems on this site...only.

I have to disagree, sorry.

Comment

Oh Well

I'm not sure there's anyone on earth who can give a correct and satisfactory answer to your questions, Pootie, and those of the "others" who are having the same problem. I believe it would require a very complex questionnaire and someone to figure it all out.

As I said, I DID have disconnects a couple of times when using IE, but have NOT since switching to firefox. And I have made absolutely no other changes.

I do feel badly that some of you are having this problem. It's gotta be frustrating.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the support, it is frustating, and I imagine that it is happening to others who just don't use the forum.

And hopefully by bringing it up and bandying it about, maybe admin or someone can find an answer.

Comment

Firefox

I've been using Firefox for about a year and for the most part, love it. However, I've lost track of the times the browser has crashed on me in the middle of a cryptogram. Quite often when it restarts I am informed that the latest version of Firefox has just been installed.

I still prefer it to IE.

Laura

Comment

Tempus Fugit

PHP Code:
                        I may be wrongbut it sounds to me like the problems that folks are experiencing are due strictly to their own computers/connections/ or lack thereof screwing up and have nothing to do with the site.
                        Reply With Quote 
                        Sorry, pootie et al., but I agree with gryhnd. I think it really depends on your hardware and internet connections. I had a wormy, Trojany computer for a while, but now that I've bought a new computer, I find I'm faster than ever. This computer hasn't had time yet to be inhabited by a lot of covert spyware, and its processor is one gig more than my old notebook. I think the reason that it seems to people that there is a problem particular to this site is because we are racing against the clock, ergo you notice if it takes a few seconds longer. When you are loading lolcat, you just don't notice those extra few seconds.

Comment

Working...
                        X