No announcement yet.

Obnoxiously difficult quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Young pigs grunt as old pigs grunted before them." (Danish Proverb, we think)
    Last edited by Fudi; 08-13-2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• "Henry James created more convincing women than Iris Murdoch put together."
      — Wilfred Sheed

Comment

• "A candor affected is a dagger concealed."
        — Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• 11949896971812381266light_bulb_karl_bartel_01.svg.med.pngIt just occurred to me: To avoid adding a quote more than once to this thread, and thus keep it as short as possible, we can enter parts of the quote into the thread searchbox at the top of the page
          to look for the quote before adding it.

searchbox.png

Last edited by Descifrador; 08-17-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• “My poor head is in such a whirl, my mind is all in bits.”

Attributed to: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Comment

• Hey Descifrador ... yeah, I usually do that - search before adding a new one to be sure it isn't there already ... well, often, I've already searched the forum (before solving and so knowing the answer) to find the answer I'm struggling with ... and then, if it's not there and I also can't find it on the Internet, once I figure it out, I post it to this forum.

But, even if a hard quote gets posted multiple times here, it still serves its purpose, it seems to me. This, because I don't simply read this forum ... I use it to search through (using the searchbox with key words, like you said) when I'm stuck on a puzzle. So if I've given up on a quote, and I search here for "Danish proverb", and I see the one I'm looking for 2x or 3x or 100x, well, that's okay ... I still found what I was looking for.

I do, though, just for the sake of avoiding redundancy, try to avoid posting here if I can find the quote in question either somewhere else in the forum or with an internet search.

Of course, it goes without saying ... (though, admittedly, here I am indeed saying it), I do try pretty hard to solve on my own before resorting to any of these tactics. It's kind of cheating, of course - looking it up - and I'm kind of disappointed in myself when I do.

Ah well. There are probably more serious crimes and ethical lapses in the world. Probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fudi View Post
                I see the one I'm looking for 2x or 3x or 100x, well, that's okay ... I still found what I was looking for.
                You're probably right. I was thinking only of people who may be trying to put together a list of quotes from this thread. Which I'm not, by the way.
                Last edited by Descifrador; 08-18-2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• "My downfall raises me to infinite heights. "
                  — Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• "Live constructively and live optimistically."
                    — Alfred Armand Montapert

Comment

• "They dream in courtship, but in wedlock wake. "

— Alexander Pope

Comment

• Love rules his kingdom without a sword. Proverb.

Comment

• This one is commented on in other posts on this forum, but isn't listed specifically as a Proverb, which is what I'd search for if I was struggling to solve it and trying to find it here. So, I'm adding this post, which may look like a duplicate of other posts about this quote, but really isn't:

"Who goes a borrowing, goes a sorrowing. "
                          — Proverb

Comment

• "To refuse graciously is to confer a favor. "
                            — Publilius Syrus

Comment

• I love hockey, maple syrup and caramilk bars. - Justin Bieber

Comment

• "Instead of counting your days, make your days count."
                                — Unattributed

Comment

Working...
                                X