Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "GUEST" high scores

Hey there, Admin,

Am I mistaken, or did you (once upon a time.......... long ago) say that you were going to eliminate our guests' ability to be high scorer on a solved cryptogram? Did I just dream this?

does anyone else remember the BOSS (sorry, Bruce) saying that in an earlier thread?

I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is ISN'T Bansai or his alter-ego Bonsai!!!

Yes

I recall the same information.

Originally posted by gryhnd51
    Hey there, Admin,

Am I mistaken, or did you (once upon a time.......... long ago) say that you were going to eliminate our guests' ability to be high scorer on a solved cryptogram? Did I just dream this?

does anyone else remember the BOSS (sorry, Bruce) saying that in an earlier thread?

I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is ISN'T Bansai or his alter-ego Bonsai!!!

Comment

Not only that, but Guests can use hints, giving them a several second advantage.

When I play offline to warm up, I have to solve slowly and sit around after I'm done, to make sure I don't set a record. Even then, sometimes I get in one second faster than the record. It isn't fair to the person who set it for real.

If Guests don't compete, why should they be able to set records? I see no problem with displaying their time for them to see, just don't save it.

Comment

I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is [sic] ISN'T Lurker, or her alter-ego LurkerSmurf.

Comment

still waiting for admin

Thanks for the input.....good to know that others remember also! I'm hoping that Admin will pipe in with some perspective on this issue.

On another note......if you're not busy later in the spring, will you come to NH Bansai and give me some computer-use basics? I've tried "renting" some of the neighborhood kids, but they're always busy playing with their electronic gizmos!!

Comment

just kidding!

the "come to nh" bit was just teasing.....I'm jealous of bansai's wonderful and colorful use of what the net provides. For me, it's just a basic tool. When I retire I plan to learn much more about applying it.

Comment

If I recall correctly, what admin said was that guests would no longer be able to create record times, but the previously-held guest record times would remain until a registered user beat them. So perhaps for the ones y'all are seeing the records were previously held and no one else has beat them yet.

Comment

Not yet

Sorry, Altoid. I accidently set one last week as a guest, so that hasn't been put into place yet. Maybe once this new batch goes competitive.

Comment

???? Hee hee, I Did It Again ???

Hello...No one's eliminated a Guest's ability to be High Scorer yet...I just did it again. I set another record. It was by accident, but it was fun.

It was for this quote: "In the beginning Man created God; and in the image of Man created he him."
                  — Jethro Tull

I'm just saying.

Comment

Guest High Scores

Originally posted by gryhnd51
                    Hey there, Admin,

Sorry Guys.
                    I am one of those guests who occassionally get high scores. I'm just an old phart, pushing 3/4 of a century, who comes on here just to keep the brain cells working. I know that I am not smart enough to solve these things without help, or it would take me more time than my frustration level allows without getting the vowels in place. I actually feel bad when the high score thingy shows up, but then I know that some else is going to score an unbelievable score as soon as they get the chance to run the puzzle. At the same time, I really, as a former auditor/analyst, can't believe some of the scores that show up. I have theories as how it is done, but, again my frustration level forbids me from deriving the proof.
                    I'll just leave things as they are. Thanks for the challanges.

Comment

inference

The inference is that someone is cheating/using some kind of program. I don't think that's the case, mainly because I have had several six second solves and even one fiver. All of course were ties. I wish people would just get over it and accept the fact that a real live human is capable.

Comment

Tickety-tac

A big part of being able to solve quickly is excellent typing skills. One mistake, and it could take several seconds just to fix it. A fast typist can easily do one in record time, even if they don't solve it at first glance.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
                          The inference is that someone is cheating/using some kind of program.
                          LLL - I'm not sure i understand what you are saying. i think anyone can cheat whether they are playing as a guest or a competitor. the only thing a guest can do is use the 'hints', which, of course, makes it unfair for them to be able to set records. i could be wrong tho...

Comment

Cheating

The guy was implying that the really fast solves are because someone is cheating or using a program. Do you think people are cheating at this and getting fast solves? I don't. I think people are amazing. I do not cheat and I have some really fast solves. I also have some records for the slowest solves in the history of the game. BTW how can people cheat at this and get fast solves, let me know, I can use all the help I can get.

Comment

i'm so confused (but it doesn't take much!)

OK i think i got it....i think i know how this thread got so convoluted! or at least why i'm so confused. some people are talking about speed and some are talking about records. it's true, there is no way to get a fast time if you need to go to your book of poems by Dylan Thomas ... or flip through a dictionary ... or whatever your reference of choice is. heck, even hitting the hint button eats up seconds. so i'm not sure that speed is necessarily the issue. and i'm not sure that 'record time' is the entire issue either. the other day i set a record time with a 142 second solve time. (the dictionary was in the other room! ha!) that was probably broken before i said "Hey honey, guess what I just did!?!"

For me it's just a case of wanting to know who i am competing with. someone comes along ... plays a couple games ... and then off he goes. geez, leave a $20 on the dresser and its just like college! (ha ! just kidding!)

Comment

Working...
                              X