Cryptograms.org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cryptograms.org Server

Is it just me, or has the server been unusually slow for the past three days?

It's not just you.

Comment

I've found it to be slow since sometime Saturday. The solving part is okay, but when I hit "enter" there is about a 3 second delay before it goes to the answer page.

Comment

i've had up to 25-second delays after hitting 'enter' the last few nights, but my normal is probably 5-10. it seems to be back to normal today.

Comment

Just trying to load the page from favourites takes five minutes, and
          Ive been given the unable to find page message a few times.
          Trying to post this has taken ten minutes just to go from chat to forum
          and posting.

Comment

I've also had intermittent, but persistent problem. Mostly after hitting "enter" but sometimes when trying to load new puzzle. We can't ALL be having "computer problems". Hope Admin will look into this.

Comment

Thanks Kgun5 for starting this thread. It's a bit of a relief to know I'm not alone in experiencing some problems with the site. Earlier today, it wouldn't respond at all when I pressed send at the end of a puzzle but other sites were still working okay. Hopefully Admin will be able to straighten it out -- but in the meantime I'm going to use it as an excuse for why my times keep going up, up, up from where I was at the beginning of the month

Comment

Thanks for the heads up - I've run some diagnostics tonight and so far am not seeing anything particularly unusual on the server end. It may be some sort of network issue affecting only certain geographical regions. From here I'm not really noticing much or any slow down. We log how long it takes every puzzle page and every completion page to compile, and they're still compiling in good time (about 2-3 hundredths of a second).

I've opened a ticket with our server company to have them investigate in any event - maybe they'll have some ideas.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Stephen for getting on this right away. We all appreciate that you've gotten involved in trying to figure this out.
                  I hate to disagree with you, but like several others who've given some input on this topic, I've been to a lot of other sites I regularly use and there has been no hesitation at all...not even by a fraction. Actually, I know too little about computers and servers to actually "disagree"...just trying to add more data.
                  Meanwhile, this problem sure takes away some enjoyment from playing here.

Comment

I just wanted to add my thanks to the Admin for getting on this. Concerning his comment about the issue being geographic, my guess is that he meant that even though the problem is likely on cryptogram.org's side of things, it may only be affecting those of us in certain geographical regions. If that's true and the Admin isn't in one of those regions, he won't be able to reproduce the issue, and it will be more difficult to pin down.

Also, I've definitely noticed short, intermittent periods of normal behavior. Someone kick the wires underneath the internet!

Comment

Admin, it seems MUCH better today...there is still some hesitation about every 10th quote, but not nearly as much as before.

Comment

Nope....still not fully fixed.

Comment

I'm finding the site is still very slow to load puzzles and check answers. It takes a long time to go from page to page.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in addressing this - I was out of the office for nearly two weeks and didn't want to perform any major maintenance on the road, just in case.

I've implemented some database changes tonight that should lessen the server load a bit - if the slow page-load issue is server related, this should help it considerably. I'd love to hear from you guys to see if you notice any difference.

Thanks!

Comment

Hasnt changed anything for me. Still several seconds of lag time loading pages. Very occassionally, it loads like it used to.

Comment

Working...
                              X