Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone intentionaly ignore certain quotes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone intentionaly ignore certain quotes?

I do not attemp to solve some crptograms when I see who they are from, i.e. probverb, Bob Hope (I,ve met him and dislike him) and few others. Does anyone else do this?

nope--i try them all.

Comment

I rarely even know the author of the quote until I complete it. I jump right in the minute I see all those blank boxes! But there are many ways to approach this site, and if it works for you, that's what matters.

Comment

I hate to skip any, and I too rarely look at the author until after I've solved. However, there are a couple, like the Marquis de Sade, that squick me so much that I will skip them if I notice in time.

Comment

Since I started trying for 100%, I don't skip even the Hitler quotes. I do groan a lot when they're by Alexander Pope and a few others. Mainly Pope. Shakespeare is easier, believe it or not. I don't have the aversion to Ben Franklin quotes that some do. It just requires a different way of thinking about words and grammar.

Comment

I'm not a 100 percenter, but I give all of them a try. Most of the time, like many others, I don't even know who the quote is by, until I solve it.

Have fun solving.

Comment

Originally posted by al34434 View Post
              I do not attemp to solve some crptograms when I see who they are from, i.e. probverb, Bob Hope (I,ve met him and dislike him) and few others. Does anyone else do this?
              I try them all (but I certainly don't solve them all). If I don't like the individual or the quote I'm then free to leave a comment (occasionally even an inane one) after I've solved it. You've met Bob Hope and don't like him? Hope the meeting didn't end the same way it did when Happy Gilmore met Bob Barker I've met/interacted with a few celebrities. One or two were quite standoffish, and one or two were quite welcoming and seemed happy to engage in a brief conversation. One, though, had little choice than to engage in conversation with me. I was arranging something for her sister, and she (the celebrity) was the person in charge for approving the decisions.

Comment

Ah, Barnabas, I wondered if any of your celebrity encounters were in an official capacity. You answered my .

Comment

Everyone has to deal with these things eventually. I'm more impressed that there are so many celebrities in Minnesota.

Comment

Ohhhh, my good blue friend, I don't think there's any reason that I should be confused with Jimmy Fallon I've been on this planet now for more than half a century, and the number of celebrities I've met still runs in the single digits, and I think it's a very safe bet that none of them have ever posted on a message board... "Hey! Do you know who I met the other day?" I remain as anonymous to them as I was before I met them.

Comment

Originally posted by al34434 View Post
                      Hi, I'm a newbe and had wondered the same thing. I do skip some quotes now when I see who they are from. An example is Nietzsche--a real "downer" in my opinion. (Haven't seen one by Hitler, yet. But, I'll skip that one for sure.) For me, part of the whole reason for solving a cryptogram is to get to a "nugget" at the end. Something uplifting or inspiring or at least thought-provoking.

PS. It's hard to believe you didn't like Bob Hope. (I will always love his work.) But, at the same time, I guess I can believe it. Many people love VanGogh, but would probably be deeply dismayed if he actually was in their living room.

Comment

I rarely even notice the quoter until I finish answering a quote. And even if I did, I'd still work to solve it. Now when I come upon an objectionable or inane quote, then I can leave my opinion. Better to leave an opinion comment that let's someone know your problem with the quote than to skip it and no one notice.

Comment

I do them all. I like to have a 100% success rate. Even the obnoxious ones can be interesting, and the comments are generally worth reading even if the quote itself isn't. I will admit, though, that I shudder when I see some names, like the Marquis de Sade.

Comment

Working...
                          X