Jack Handy quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Handy quote

"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD."
    — Jack Handey

I was doing a few cryptograms this morning and this quote came up.

There were lots of comments on the quote, and I added mine.

I find this quote unbelievably disgusting.

One of the reasons I personally do cryptograms is to solve a puzzle and then get a little nugget of encouragement or something thought provoking. I don't even mind if it is "against" my own world view. But, there is a line of decency, whether one is a Christian or atheist. This quote crosses it.

I realize that some people find Jack Handy amusing. Go ahead, bring it on and post your thoughts.

Because:

I want to start a campaign to get this quote off the site. I never want to see it again.

Liz

Handey

There seem to be some folks who find him entertaining, but I personally find Handey to be inane at best and cruel, disgusting, or obnoxious at worst.

I doubt you will get the quote removed. There are disgusting quotes from such "luminaries" as Adolph Hitler and the Marquis de Sade that remain on the site.

Comment

I myself find him rather annoying, and definitely not funny.

Comment

I agree with LizardLeap

I vote for removing that particular Jack Handey quote. LizardLeap, thank you for raising this topic.

While I also completely agree with the site policy that it's acceptable to have quotes from historic madmen like Hitler, I see no justification for this quote from Jack Handey. It is alarming and disgusting with no redeeming value whatsoever. Even the Hitler quotes have an important value, in that they give us insight into his mind in order to recognize such madness when it surfaces again. But Handey's quote is nothing more than a poor attempt at humor that not only fails but is actually disturbing.

Comment

I thin k the quote is funny and silly and I don;t see what it has to do with Christianity or atheism. Some people need to lighten up. Why does everybody have to get so offended these days?

Comment

Killdozer, I think you misread what LizardLeap meant by the mention of religion. What she wrote was, "I don't even mind if [a quote] is 'against' my own world view. But, there is a line of decency, whether one is a Christian or atheist. This quote crosses it." She was referring, I think, to the fact that players so often take offense based on perceived insult to their Christianity or their atheism, and that, unlike them, she has no problem with quotes that disagree with her religious views.

Her point was that she is not normally offended by quotes and that still this one offends her fundamental sense of decency.

Obviously, you disagree with LizardLeap's main point, since you say you found the quote funny. I just wanted to dispel this mistaken notion that she was claiming offense based on some religious connection.

Comment

I agree with LizardLeap and LLapp that this quote is offensive, but I don't agree that it should be removed. There are a lot of quotes that I find offensive for one reason or another - some from the Marquis de Sade come to mind. But the trouble is that there is no unanimity among members as to which quotes are or are not offensive. One person's humor is another's disgust. Where does Admin. draw the line? We already have the capability of opting out of quotes that are rated offensive. In the interests of free speech, I vote for no censorship.

Comment

I'm new to the forum, for what that's worth, but I look at this way - you're breaking the code. What the quote says is irrelevant except that something so off the wall makes it more difficult because it's completely unexpected. Leave it.

Comment

Marnita, I totally agree with you. I've been paying closer attention to which quotes have been voted "offensive" and it has amazed me quite often. There are a couple of quotes by Mother Teresa where 1 or 2 people have voted 10 on the offensive scale. C'mon folks.....Mother Teresa??? REALLY???

Comment

Mother Teresa was a horrible person. Read Christopher Hitchens' "The Rhythm Method."

Religious quotes, in general, are smug and obnoxious,but I don't try to rally for them to be removed.

Comment

killdozer may be one of the few people in this world offended by a woman who reached out in love to the most helpless of all.

btw, he mentions Christopher Hitchens who is a well-known atheist. maybe that's the source of the resentment toward Mother Teresa. I'm not Catholic, but there are few people in this world I have respected more.

Comment

definately not funny in anyway, and SNL has gotten worse and more crude over time

i guess its kind of like that one in silence of the lambs about fava beans, and thats all i am gonna on that,way to disturbing to quote, errhhhh!!!!!

i find it pretty graphic, thinking about all the wonderful quotes you could use like.......

1.The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
                        Mahatma Gandhi

2.“The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.”
                        ― Rabindranath Tagore

3. Johnny Castle: Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

See there are quotes that don't use gore!

but if you are going to vote the one in question out you should vote all quotes by Winston Churchill out, because hold your horses, you say i am a ignorant teen or worse ( i am younger than that) who does not know how great he was, well, hear me out, his crimes were a lot worse than that quote.

yes he did make Britain quite prosperous ,( on the backs literally of a lost of enslaved countries like mine, India) and he destroyed the empire of one of the most malevolent forces every - Hitler, he unfortunately committed atrocities himself.

Please read these articles and do your own research to know more. from my own family i am from West Bengal, India, we were starved in the Bengal famine of 1943 when not enough crops grew so that British soldiers could stockpile food with out any need. we were enslaved and much more until August 15 1947 when India had her tryst with density and became independent.
                        read for the souls of those who have been tortured, raped, starved, converted, killed or more during Winston Churchill rule.

enen a britosh newspaper
                        Winston Churchill is rightly remembered for leading Britain through her finest hour – but what if he also led the country through her most shameful hour? What if, in addition to rousing a nation to save the world from the Nazis, he fought for a raw white supremacism and a concentration camp network of his own? This question burns through Richard Toye’s new history, Churchill’s Empire, and is even seeping into the Oval Office.

Times of India brings the Latest & Top Breaking News on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Cricket, Sports, Business, Bollywood News and Entertainment, Science, Technology, Health & Fitness news & opinions from leading columnists.

even the current president of USA toke out a bust of Churchill that was in the white house, after that i had a lot of respect for his guts, being the granddaughter of a educated man who was jailed at the around the age of 16 by the British for trying to go to a county club.

Perhaps not the place, perhaps a wake up call?

Comment

Hi, Tilottama2003

How nice to see a bright and curious young person here, solving cryptograms. If you are starting at 13, and solving without hints, you'll be a formidable player before long. It's a high recommendation for the home-schooling you are receiving, judging by the articulate posts you have written, especially the one above.

Comment

Originally posted by oddcouple View Post
                            killdozer may be one of the few people in this world offended by a woman who reached out in love to the most helpless of all.

btw, he mentions Christopher Hitchens who is a well-known atheist. maybe that's the source of the resentment toward Mother Teresa. I'm not Catholic, but there are few people in this world I have respected more.
                            You should read Hitchens' book and learn what a fraud she was.

Comment

Killdozer

I have far, far better things to do than read Hitchens.

Comment

Working...
                              X