Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive quotes

Hi folks -

Just a quick note - we've removed about 1,400 puzzles from the site today that have been widely deemed as "offensive" based on user feedback. We may at some time allow these quotes back on the site for users who explicitly opt-in for potentially offensive quotes, but for right now they're all sidelined.

If you do come across a quote which you feel is potentially offensive, please utilize the "Offensive/Edgy" ratings box on the "game over" page for that quote. (Give it a 10 if you find it offensive, or if you think a quote has been unfairly labeled as offensive, feel free to give it a 1 rating in order to reduce its score.)

Thanks!
    Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Here's an idea. What if each user could pay a monthly fee to block quotes from selected sources. I'd be willing to pay, oh, say 23 cents to block Jack Handey quotes. But I'd pay up to $1.88 to block quotes from Justin Bieber, Sarah Palin, and Gwyneth Paltrow. Might be a good revenue source for you.

(This is completely tongue in cheek. Thanks for the great work on this site and others).

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Hi folks -

If you do come across a quote which you feel is potentially offensive, please utilize the "Offensive/Edgy" ratings box on the "game over" page for that quote. (Give it a 10 if you find it offensive, or if you think a quote has been unfairly labeled as offensive, feel free to give it a 1 rating in order to reduce its score.)

Thanks!
      Stephen
      so you don't count the number of people who cast a 'vote' for offensiveness, but just how high the rating is? i had no idea!

Comment

We use both. If a quote has an offensive rating of 8 but only had three votes we won't remove it just yet. If it gets to 10 votes or more with an average of 7 or higher it will be removed. This way we are basing it on at least some form of minimal consensus.

So it is just as important to rate inoffensive quotes as a 1 as it is to rate offensive quotes as a ten.

Thanks!

Comment

Stephen, thanks for clarifying that. I've seen quote comments expressing uncertainty about what a low rating really means. Now we know.

Comment

Now, if we could do something about quotes with errors or mis-attributed… Those get voted on much more than anything else.

Comment

I wish I had known that there was a way to counterbalance the votes for an offensive quote. I assure you that I'll be using that option in future. We are all given an opportunity to "opt out" of possibly offensive quotes in our settings, after all. Thanks for the info, Stephen.

Comment

Darn! Many of my fastest times were, for some reason, on offensive quotes.
                "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Why am I not surprised?

Comment

Working...
                  X