No announcement yet.

Classic Comments on the Quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Question everything. Every stripe, every star, every word spoken. Everything."
    — Ernest J. Gaines

fredsevent on 2012-02-11 17:35:20
    I've tried this and the stars and stripes won't answer my questions. They just give me the silent treatment.

joed on 2012-11-07 17:28:22
    sometimes they wave

montyb on 2014-01-27 09:06:32
    O'er the ramparts?

universalmom on 2014-04-24 14:36:39
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

abra on 2014-11-03 13:37:26
    Play Ball!

Quizzical on 2014-12-29 01:45:33
    Excellent series. Y'all.

montyb on 2015-01-31 06:49:11
    A series for the world.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• "Most of our diversions do not so much delay death as accustom us to it."
      — Mignon McLaughlin

hopetheturtle on 2012-11-23 19:34:27
      The person's eyes were as glued to the TV screen as a corpse's eyes are glued to the thing in front of them. Right?

montyb on 2013-09-07 09:42:58
      It would explain reality TV.

Comment

• "It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf."
        — H.L. Mencken

opallady on 2009-03-23 18:57:24
        Perhaps they felt they had better things to do.

PianoManGidley on 2009-04-02 01:42:13
        Not necessarily.

maradnu on 2009-04-12 01:16:07
        And why should they have been?

bansaisequoia on 2009-10-02 19:29:17
        It is impossible to imagine Willie Mosconi or Tiger Woods being good at writing drama or composing music.

kb77 on 2011-10-02 17:49:19
        its too bad we cant imagine goethe or beethoven as rich as tiger woods. then the world might start to make sense.

chopstix on 2012-12-17 15:16:12
        It's not unusual at all for someone who is a master in one area to be quite good in many others, often surprisingly so. Skill and ability have a lot to do with focus, concentration, attitude and application - plus the enjoyment of the challenge. I can easily imagine the scenario!

abra on 2014-01-07 10:34:29
        Why wouldn't they be good at those things?

montyb on 2014-03-30 02:52:09
        Well, in Goethe's case he always tried to determine the philosophical underpinnings for his wicked slice, when in reality he was just opening his shoulders too early allowing his lead hand to get a little ahead of his other hand. Pure physics.

universalmom on 2015-01-08 10:08:18
        I could totally picture Mozart being good at billiards

LLapp on 2015-05-05 15:44:12
        I'm having trouble picturing Beethoven in plaid trousers and preppie polo shirt.

montyb on 2015-07-20 10:17:33
        How about plaid kickers?

LLapp on 2015-09-02 06:11:15
        Yes -- and an ear trumpet!

Comment

• Originally posted by oddcouple View Post
          Something tells me we're going to see a lot of montyb comments. He's frequently hilarious
          yes you were right, and i know why his name is montyb.

instead of monty python ( python = snake) b in montyb os boa( boa = snake)

Comment

• Yes, montyb, I hate it when snakes go on strike. Then there follows the inevitable "scab"

Comment

• Barnabas moderates a theological discussion

"The true recipe for a miserable existence is to quarrel with Providence." — James Waddell Alexander, II

dovid1946 on 2014-12-31 04:31:42
              The Bible is full of people who quarreled with God- starting with Abraham

LLapp on 2015-02-22 12:01:55
              And then there was Jacob, the one who wrestled to know God. So much finer than quarreling.

marnita on 2015-05-19 11:24:45
              And then there was Job, who did everything right and got punished anyway.

Barnabas on 2016-07-19 15:55:05
              I don't live anywhere near Rhode Island.

Comment

• my first comment

From Candy to Golf and more, comment on:

John Wesley
                “Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry.”

― John Wesley, John Wesley's Sermons: An Anthology

AHD on 2012-12-26 23:33:51
                e.e. cummings: no one beautiful ever hurries

universalmom on 2014-01-16 10:25:53
                Sting: A gentleman will walk but never run.

LLapp on 2014-12-28 18:23:10
                Oh I think he was playing a party game: Though I always like candy, I never like lollipops. / Though I am always glad, I am never happy. / Though I always laugh, I never giggle. / Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry.

dovid1946 on 2015-02-27 04:54:31
                is there a difference without much distinction?

killdozer on 2016-01-28 17:45:27
                I think he's talking about the difference between being able to do something quickly and efficiently and rushing through it in a sloppy manner. Speed and "have" are not necessarily the same thing.

montyb on 2016-07-14 07:07:03
                Though I am always in haste to get to the golf course, I am never in a hurry while playing golf.

Comment

• This is getting very long and I hope I'm not reposting something that's already here, but I thought it was funny.

"Few men have the natural strength to honour a friend's success without envy."
                  — Aeschylus[/I]

LiveLoveLaugh on 2009-08-30 23:17:41
                  honour why not the American spelling?

Tiz on 2009-11-13 09:10:14
                  Why not the Greek?

Moni on 2011-06-06 23:29:05
                  why not the British or Canadian?

montyb on 2014-01-03 20:16:25
                  Why not the Aaron Spelling?

tskaggs6 on 2014-11-06 16:40:59
                  r Tori Spelling? Yeah, I've just about had it with you spellingists.

skeeter on 2015-03-03 03:35:59
                  Before Tori was married, she was Miss Spelling all the time.

universalmom on 2015-04-14 02:03:42
                  good one, skeeter

lainecap on 2015-04-20 09:32:28
                  I will just wait a spell before making my comment.

LLapp on 2016-06-30 19:53:55
                  My last crypto for the month of June. Nice to end on a chuckle. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Repeat entries

Abra - Yes that was a repeat (http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/sho...&postcount=358), but it's certainly not the first. I think there have been about a half dozen repeats so far.

You are the first person in this thread to even mention repeats, and for that the proofreader in me salutes you. (I always have to remind myself that I may be the only person around for miles who cares a whit about this sort of thing.)

To all: It's easy to check whether particular quote comments have already been posted here. While you are on any page within this thread, click "Search this thread" at the top of the first comment on the page, and enter a key word or phrase. Results will show you any possible duplicates.

- Lisa

Comment

• "If a man could have half of his wishes, he would double his troubles." — Benjamin Franklin

fredsevent on 2011-09-06 06:13:06
                      Really? Have you any actual data to back up this claim?

chopstix on 2013-03-12 16:59:13
                      mega million lotto winners

YorkiesRule on 2015-03-11 23:02:25
                      Just imagine that every time you get mad and wish for somebody to drop dead, they would actually die. Or you have a fight with your wife and tell her "I wish I never met you" and suddenly the last 20 years of your life are gone and your children don't exist.

Unattributed on 2016-01-13 06:31:38
                      Stop tempting me, Yorkies. Kidding aside, sometimes we want things that aren't good for us. And sometimes a misfortune turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

momn8r on 2016-01-15 04:34:09
                      LOOK! a comment from "Unattributed!" I always knew in my heart that Un lurked about on this site! It's an Unattributed Moment!

marnita on 2016-06-14 16:47:08
                      Unattributed has a lot of nerve to show his or her face here!

Comment

• Originally posted by LLapp View Post
                        Abra - Yes that was a repeat (http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/sho...&postcount=358), but it's certainly not the first. I think there have been about a half dozen repeats so far.

You are the first person in this thread to even mention repeats, and for that the proofreader in me salutes you. (I always have to remind myself that I may be the only person around for miles who cares a whit about this sort of thing.)

To all: It's easy to check whether particular quote comments have already been posted here. While you are on any page within this thread, click "Search this thread" at the top of the first comment on the page, and enter a key word or phrase. Results will show you any possible duplicates.

- Lisa
                        Yes, Lisa, know that, but you know we're all in such a hurry. Next time I will check.

Comment

• Originally posted by abra View Post
                          Yes, Lisa, I do know that. We're always in such a hurry here, but next time I'll check.
                          No problem, it's all for fun.

You know by now that I'm a perfectionist. Just ignore my finicky spells.

Comment

• wow

ms llapp,

i did not know you are a Lisa.

there a so many lisas in my life, direct neighbor, former dance teacher, the shorted version of a favorite actress - ( if you didn't guess Cleopatra with the violet eyes and eight husbands), i do like the name, it means oath of god, lily flower, devoted to god.

you don't teach Bharatnatyam, have violet eyes or live in Connecticut do you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tilottama2003 View Post
                              ms llapp,

i did not know you are a Lisa.

there a so many lisas in my life, direct neighbor, former dance teacher, the shorted version of a favorite actress - ( if you didn't guess Cleopatra with the violet eyes and eight husbands), i do like the name, it means oath of god, lily flower, devoted to god.

you don't teach Bharatnatyam, have violet eyes or live in Connecticut do you?
                              No to all three, but hi!

Comment

• "History assures us that civilizations decay quite leisurely." — Will Durant

fishbum on 2013-06-04 18:56:05
                                I wonder how much time we have left?

kjmcaj on 2013-07-05 19:58:15
                                68 seconds.

momof7 on 2013-08-11 04:34:40
                                HELP!!! We only have 68 seconds left!!!! We are decaying before our very eyes!

maradnu on 2014-12-27 13:52:50
                                Up to the point that they collapse altogether.

puzzleme on 2015-04-17 16:49:14
                                At 126 below average seconds, I am helping to delay our decay. I hope you all appreciate that.

Comment

Working...
                                X