Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can quotes from other languages be added?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can quotes from other languages be added?

With an option to choose the languages you want to play in, of course. I would like to solve some in Hungarian as well in English. I'm sure other non-native English speakers would like that as well.

Tabus, I think that's a really interesting idea! It would be a considerable project for Stephen (the site admin) to get it together. He'd have to identify which languages he'd want to offer, assemble lots of quotes for each language (and have someone proofread them for accuracy), and then revise the site architecture to include the "Other languages" menu and all that new content.

You can suggest the idea to him directly, using the Questions or Comments form at the bottom right corner of this page. I don't know if he has time to do that substantial a site upgrade, but I'm thinking that if you volunteer to help him assemble Hungarian-language quotes, he might be more open to the idea. It's worth a try.

Comment

I don't think submitting quotes would be a big issue. I'm sure a lot of people would be to happy to submit quotes in their own language.
      The problem is that every language has its own alphabet so those characters need to be added to make it work

But I think it would be a good "expansion" to this project.

Comment

I'd love to try cryptograms in Finnish, but as I'm probably the only Finnish-speaking person here (if there are others, feel free to speak up!), I see no point beginning a massive project to provide Finnish cryptograms just for me. And if I were to provide the quotes myself - well, where's the fun solving if I already know the all the answers?

If there were to be cryptos in some other language besides English, I guess Spanish would be the obvious choice (I believe it's the second most spoken language here).

Comment

Yes I wanted to say that. The most spoken languages should be added first...
          But I'm sure there is also a way to check how much traffic this site gets and which country it gets the most traffic from... I doubt you are actually the only Finnish person here

Comment

For a while, I was solving cryptos in French on one of the French newspaper sites. It was a pretty limited list of quotes, since they were only expecting you to do one a day, so I gave it up. Plus, they were too easy because the last letter of every word has a limited choice in French. Maybe a Hungarian (or other national) newspaper carries them in their games section.

Comment

I find it remarkable that you can set speed records, Annamariah, without being a native born English speaker. I'm sure I couldn't even solve a Finnish crypto.

Comment

Originally posted by oddcouple View Post
                I find it remarkable that you can set speed records, Annamariah, without being a native born English speaker. I'm sure I couldn't even solve a Finnish crypto.
                Well, I have studied English since elementary school - I doubt you have had much exposure to Finnish

I have never encountered Finnish cryptograms on newspapers or online (only crossword cryptos), so it would be interesting to try them. I'm pretty sure that at least at first I would find them more difficult than English ones because now my brain is wired to look for patterns that only apply to English language. Finnish grammar is very different and the lack of short words (instead of articles and prepositions there are lots of suffixes) would probably make it harder to get started on a cryptogram.

Comment

What's all this about quotes in languages other than English? I mean, yes, English is my second language... but unfortunately, I don't have a first.

Comment

Personally, I would love to try to solve in Latin or French, and I'm learning Spanish so perhaps that will be a future challenge.. But, speaking from a purely practical space, how in the world would Steven be able to even THINK about adding more languages when there are so few folks who pay for this site? I'm not trying to start a huge argument here, just thinking about how many more servers and interpreters it would all require and I can't even imagine the cost of that!

Comment

Other languages

I might try French, if there were some, but that would be about it and I suspect I'd be terrible at French for some time.

You are probably right about cost vs benefits. - not many premium members, though they get ad dollars. Not sure how many folks would play in various other languages.

Comment

Working...
                      X