Average solving time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average solving time?

I had an average solving time of under 50 seconds today until I decided to go back to a past puzzle under the "recent games" section... I completed it fairly quickly, but my total time since I started the puzzle originally was almost 50,000 seconds, bringing up my average to over 800 seconds . Is there a way to fix this, or am I just going to have to do a whole lot of puzzles to balance it out?

Average solving time

Wings, I am not aware of any fix for it. Unfortunately, I think your challenge the rest of the month is to get your average back down. I've been there too, many times! Good luck!

Comment

Average solving time?

Haha okay thanks, I'll get on that

Comment

Wings,

Last month my average time was up over 300 seconds for the same reason. The program counts the time for every puzzle you complete. It does not count any data for non-completed puzzles (including time). Fortunately it is early in the month so all puzzles you complete in less than your current average time will decrease your average.
        "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Average solving time

I had an issue last month, because my cable provider knocked out my internet while they were doing service. It was out for over two hours and even though I'd done a bunch of puzzles already, it pushed my time way up. I worked a lot more puzzles and never got it back to where it was, but did get it closer.

What was really frustrating was several times when the site went down for 30 minutes to an hour while I was in the middle of a puzzle. There unfortunately was nothing to be done. In fairness, I think that the last uncompleted puzzle should be taken off, if the time started was 10 minutes or less before the site outage. That would require reprogramming, and might unfairly help people who simply couldn't get a puzzle immediately prior to the outage.

The other frustration is when there are double loads that the person doesn't catch until later. How though do you determine what was a double load and what was simply someone deciding to skip a puzzle? Someone could get a real poser, print it out solve it and come back later, solve it quickly and claim it was a double load.

If time is a concern, and you see one that would push your time up, then unless you're shooting for 100%, just skip it.

Stephen is not going to adjust the stats because that wouldn't be fair to the people who have legitimately earned fast times. Sad to say, but you just have to do enough puzzles to average the time down to something reasonable.

Comment

I had one last month where I went back to check and there was one from four hours previous. I hate unsolved puzzles, so went back and finished it. It pushed my average up to over 300 seconds. But I was able to complete enough puzzles to finish with a final average for the month of 63.2 seconds, good for a 20th place award.

This month I'll just try to score in the fastest solver competition the old fashioned way. Solve puzzles quickly.

Comment

Working...
            X