Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else experiencing serious lag times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else experiencing serious lag times?

I've tried everything (dumped my cache, signed out & back in, etc) but when I click start, there's a few seconds pause then the grid appears, but much more slowly than usual. The same happens when I submit my results - it feels almost like the site is taking a big breath THEN decides to react. Anyone else experiencing this?

It usually only happens when I'm about to be unable to play or the site goes down, but that's not happening. Also my times are being impacted. I've tried a few times throughout the day and it's not changing.

I was more frustrated when it took up to a minute for it to register after I submitted my results. I just thought it was my computer/internet being slow.

Comment

Well, whatever it was, it seems to be better now, a day later. Sometimes the site just acts weird for me for some completely unknown reason. I agree that it is frustrating to have a minute added to your time from lag, but I don't think it's my computer b/c I use a few different ones from a few different places, and the lag isn't dependent on one of those places/wifi/connections or computers.

Comment

I have it when I click on the Check For Mistakes button, as well as the Submit. I always think it's going to crash on me.

Comment

This usually appears a number of games before you loose connection to the site.
          I suppose it is caused by the same fault.
          Both problems (lag times and losing connection) started around november or december 2018.

Comment

Doesn't make it better, but it is good to know that it's not just one person - that it's a sitewide problem, or at least a multiple-user problem. It always comes back eventually. The thing that threw me this time is precisely that the site didn't go down completely. (I do agree that the two problems seem usually to be connected.) In any event, thanks everyone. Good to know I'm not alone.

Comment

Today is so bad I've given up. So frustrating. Its definitely the site because everything else is working perfectly internetwise.

Comment

I suspect that a lot of the code that runs the puzzle solving functions is running client-side i.e. on your PC rather than on the server. If your PC is under a lot of pressure doing other stuff then the site is going to be slow to respond to your inputs. A useful experiment would be to close everything else running on your PC, including any other browser tabs and see if it speeds up.

Comment

Originally posted by chimaera View Post
                  I suspect that a lot of the code that runs the puzzle solving functions is running client-side i.e. on your PC rather than on the server. If your PC is under a lot of pressure doing other stuff then the site is going to be slow to respond to your inputs. A useful experiment would be to close everything else running on your PC, including any other browser tabs and see if it speeds up.
                  I literally have nothing running except this tab -- on both a windows computer and a chromebook, I get the same reaction - serious lag, that then just goes away for no apparent reason. I've tried a bunch of things over the course of a year or so (both before and after the site migration) and nothing changes. It's just really slow some days.

Comment

PS - The more I think about it, whenever I have found the site completely horrid, if I post, others either just don't respond or they aren't having the same problem. And when other people have posted problems, I notice the posts, but often I am not experiencing the same problem *at that time.* It almost seems like a rolling issue that must be somehow related to users or just the number of people using the site, perhaps? I honestly don't know, but it's not a case of the site going down across the board. It seems more individualized than that.

Comment

I have had lags but not ones this bad.

Comment

doesn't sound good.

Comment

although the grid does lag if I haven't cleared the cache in awhile.

Comment

Working...
                          X