Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any set of well-known techniques/ tips for a new Logic Puzzles player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To learn how to solve, just press HINT at each step. Your times will be awful, but you will learn quickest this way. Perhaps start on a smaller size puzzle.
    Then practice what you've learned, use HINT only when you get stuck.

First pass through the clues: fill in obvious stuff on the grid and notice when two clues mention the same item, as that often leads to more info.
    Second pass, concentrate on populating top part of puzzle, what is needed for completion. You waste time populating the lower part, unless the clues force you there.

Pat yourself on the back whenever you beat the mean time. There are many people who have been doing puzzles on this site for years, and achieving the mean time means you've joined their ranks. My first few puzzles took over an hour to solve each (omg, I need to get a life), and my best time is 99 seconds. Good luck. Solving puzzles is fun and soothing.

Comment

• Look for simple clues that give you a direct combination. (i.e. A is not B, C is D). These boxes can be immediately filled in and the clue can be marked out.
      • Look for any clues that give you a choice between two pairings (i.e. Of A and B, one is C and the other is D). Immediately you know that A cannot be the same as B and C cannot be the same as D. Place X's in those boxes.
      • Look for any clues that list 3 or more unique items. (i.e. The five people were A, B, C, D, E). Go through the list, placing an X in any box where the characteristics overlap. A cannot share characteristics with B, C, D or E. B cannot share characteristics with C, D, or E... and so on
      • Also (as mentioned by hxxhxx) you should try to notice when two clues mention the same item. Putting the information together can offer new clues. For example, if clue #1 says that A costs more than B and clue #4 says that C costs less than B, then A cannot be the same as C

Comment

I've been doing these puzzles for more than ten years, and my two best suggestions: First, when you think you have a "true", mark all the OTHER boxes in that row "false", then hit "clear errors". If it's correct, you won't lose anything, and if it's wrong, only one penalty. If you mark it "true" first and THEN hit "clear errors", you get THREE penalties -- one for your error, one for where the "true" should be in that row, and one for where the "true" should be for that question. Second, if you're having difficulties, SLOW DOWN. It's much better to double-check yourself, which shouldn't take more than a minute, than to get a two-minute penalty. Speed only counts if you get it right!

Comment

I'm following all these tips and doing very well. I mostly use only the top row and have gotten my scores down to averaging between 100 and 200, I just don't understand how to get it any faster than that. Even ones where I do it the very quickest I can, I can't seem to get it under 100. I usually do 4x5 and the record holders are all in the 70's and I don't see how this is possible if one is actually reading through the clues, even skimming very quickly. I'm on a PC. Do you think that makes a difference? Maybe the mouse slows me down?

Comment

A new player learning how logic puzzles work, and how to go fast, are two completely different set of tips. A lot of the tips in this thread are around learning logic, not going faster. There are a few threads on this forum that go into how to speed up, once you know how to do the logic (linked below). With skimming it's very doable to get that fast but it definitely takes practice to get to know the puzzles. Actually reading the clues, no chance.

I doubt it's your PC. I'm fastest on my personal computer with a gaming mouse, slower on my work computer with a lower quality mouse. I imagine doing it on a tablet would be slower for me because my hand movement would get in the way of reading the clues and my arm would probably get tired. On a tablet, to go from marking something off on the grid then back to marking the clue complete is ~3-6 inches and would require full arm movement, but with a mouse the total distance I have to move is ~1cm. Also, how fast does your PC load ads?

https://forum.puzzlebaron.com/forum/...gic-puzzle-how
            https://forum.puzzlebaron.com/forum/...uzzles-so-fast

Comment

I have a really great ad-blocker so the ads aren't an issue over here *wink* Thanks for the links and the tips! I was doing these logic puzzles in paper books years ago and have a really good grasp on how they work, now it's just about doing them faster although I do just enjoy the process also.

Comment

Hey there. I used to struggle with logic puzzles too. But here's a pro tip: take a break after a certain time, like 20 mins. My son is fond of logic puzzles, so I know what I'm talking about. Sometimes, a fresh mind helps see things in a different light. Another thing that might help is to work on diff types of puzzles to broaden your approach. And if you're looking to step up your puzzle game, why not buy 3d puzzles? Anyway, keep solving, and don't give up, bro. With a bit of patience and practice, you'll get there!
                Last edited by HarperDouglas; 02-12-2023, 10:55 AM.

Comment

The information at this link:

should get you started.

Comment

This may sound like a time-wasting technique, but I routinely finish the games under the median time.

First, I set up a blank note/text window next to the game window.
                    Then I systematically 'find' specific clue types and type them into the notes in a roughly mathematical format.
                    I'll explain first and then I'll show one full set of my typed clues for a 4x7 challenging game.
                    For example,
                    • Many clues are 'thing A' isn't/didn't/wasn't/etc... 'thing B'. So I CTL+F or CMD+F on the page and search for n't. Then I type them and click on them to remove them from the list.
                    • Next I search for any clues with "diff" in them. Same as above, but with more than 2 items being compared. Type the list and then move the clue to solved.
                    • Next I search for the spelled-out number of items in your game. That is, if you're playing a 4x7 game, search for the word "seven" to see if there's a clue beginning, "The seven [blanks] were..." Type the list and move the clue to solved.
                    • Next I search for the word "either". This will give you the clues like "Item A = Item X or Item Y. I type these as A = X / Y.
                    • Then there are the comparitive clues: more than/less than, taller/shorter, ahead/behind, larger/smaller, etc... and there is always some form of measurement between them. Example: Ann's fruit cost $1.00 more than the fruit purchased in Plymouth" would be written as:
                      Plymouth + 1.00 = Ann
                    • Finally, there are the "of" clues, aka "these 2 things are these other 2 things". Example, "Of Ann and Plymouth, one cost $3.00 and the other is the strawberry"
                    • If there are any clues left, they should be of the type "A = B", IOW, Ann bought her fruit in Plymouth.
                    Here is one set of clues from an actual puzzle and then how I typed them up:

1. Freda Fisher's project begins 2 months before Gail Garrett's project.
                    2. Of the L Street project and the $25,000 project, one will be headed by Bill Bonner and the other starts in September.
                    3. The $35,000 project begins sometime after the Harkin Drive project.
                    4. The $30,000 project begins 1 month after Freda Fisher's project.
                    5. The job starting in April is either Irma Ingram's project or Gail Garrett's project.
                    6. Irma Ingram's project begins 5 months before the L Street project.
                    7. Of the job starting in August and the Willow Street project, one will have a budget of $35,000 and the other will be headed by Irma Ingram.
                    8. Of the $25,000 project and the job starting in August, one will focus on Oak Road and the other will be headed by Gail Garrett.
                    9. Of Hal Hamilton's project and the job starting in October, one will focus on Gray Avenue and the other will have a budget of $18,000.
                    10. The $15,000 project won't be managed by Dawn Daniels.
                    11. Cal Craft's project begins 1 month before the Russell Road project.
                    12. The Gray Avenue project begins sometime after the $36,000 project.
                    13. The $40,000 project is either the Russell Road project or Irma Ingram's project.

Note: I abbreviate clue info whenever possible to save time, so in this example, names are just initials, and $ amounts are 30k instead of 30000

15k / dd --> this is the "n't" clue

apr = ii / gg --> these are the "either" clues
                    40k = russell / ii

ff + 2 = gg --> these are the comparative clues, grouped
                    ff + 1 = 30k
                    ii + 5 = l street
                    cc + 1 = russell
                    harkin + ? = 35k
                    36k + ? = gray

L / 25k = bb / sep --> these are the "of" clues

aug / willow = 35k / ii

25k / aug = oak / gg

hh / oct = gray / 18k

Comment

first read through the clues,, if there is a multi choice clue, ie a X 5 multi choice, enter all these while the grid is empty. then start from No 1, this avoids trying to enter when the grid is congested. hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by zenobia43 View Post
                        That tutorial is excellent! Thank you!!
                        I don't see any way to find this tutorial using the tabs on the home page, so I will bookmark it. I wonder if that link was lost during the last site migration.

Comment

just use the hint button a lot

Comment

Working...
                          X