No announcement yet.

Favourite words found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For no apparent reason, i found out today that dorb is a word.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Reading OED cover to cover? !!!

Wow!

Just wow!

Recently got rid of mine, along with the multi-volume Century Dictionary and Cylopedia. They were taking up a lot of space--and I hadn't touched either for a very long time. Not that I wanted to part with them, but the wife has been watching Swedish Death Cleaning, so...

Really did love the leather-bound spines of the Century. The sacrifises of marriage.

Immediately after reading your post, ran across orgone on a board and couldn't help thinking of your comments. Would I be correct in assuming you weren't buying Reich's premise?

Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 8.32.52 AM.png
      You'd be correct. I didn't buy the "orgone energy" idea for a second. It was hard to hear his ideas in general without thinking he was doing some really obscure comedy skit.

Comment

• SEVENLESS.

This is actually a noun, not an adjective -- it's a fruit fly gene! It's so named because a mutation in the gene causes the eyes to lack a photoreceptor called R7.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post
          SEVENLESS.

This is actually a noun, not an adjective -- it's a fruit fly gene! It's so named because a mutation in the gene causes the eyes to lack a photoreceptor called R7.
          This is really interesting! I have trouble thinking of it as a noun though, my brain just malfunctions when I try.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazykate View Post

This is really interesting! I have trouble thinking of it as a noun though, my brain just malfunctions when I try.
            Yep. The "fly" the gene is from presents a similar problem.

Comment

• SULFOGLYCOLIPIDS

This one was really fun to piece together!

Comment

• You got to love those "Frankenwords"

Comment

• Yesterday I found TOADHEAD then a few games later found RUBBERNECKERS

I gotta me get a new circle of friends

Comment

• I like to think I'm good with my hands. I've had no complaints so far... (4X4)

Best word: DEXTEROUSNESSES (30 pts.) New record!
                    Longest word: DEXTEROUSNESSES (15 letters) New record!

Comment

• Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post
                      I like to think I'm good with my hands. I've had no complaints so far... (4X4)

Best word: DEXTEROUSNESSES (30 pts.) New record!
                      Longest word: DEXTEROUSNESSES (15 letters) New record!
                      Wow! Great find.

Comment

• I'm quite proud of having found MAXIXE for a new highest-scoring word record on a board. (And slightly surprised that it counted.) How often do you find a word with two Xs in it?

Comment

• Great word DrPlacebo! noun
                          1. a Brazilian dance for couples, resembling the polka and the local tango.

Comment

• CHESSBOXING is a fine sport.

Comment

• I found TOADLETS- game had been played >12 times and I was the first to find it, but only because I have been fascinated by toadlets for many decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by JedMedGrey View Post
                                I found TOADLETS- game had been played >12 times and I was the first to find it, but only because I have been fascinated by toadlets for many decades.
                                We have two ponds out back and thrill at their orchestration every spring. The American toads are our favorite instruments. Bullfrogs the least.

The edges of the ponds are already teeming with thousands of tadpoles. Soon they'll saturate the landscape. Toadlets everywhere you try to step--not really, but it can seem like that. So, I share your ??? over the word.

But that happens so muchwith words here, it's...

Just played a game with debone. Didn't type it because it just seems commonly used. Ooops. Another ultrarare 6 letter word worth 10 points gone to waste by assumption.

Comment

Working...
                                X