No announcement yet.

Favourite words found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I'm not as good as all of you people who usually write on here (and nothing's been posted here for 20 months), but I found METALIZE (bad, I know). Definitely my favourite word so far.

Comment

• SUPERPHLOGISTICATIONS - I'm glad I took a History of Science course in college and remember the old phlogiston theory from before modern chemistry...

Comment

• wtg, DrP! Good to hear from you.

I found COLLIESHANGIES (26/14) again yesterday. From scotsman.com: "Collieshangie is thought to be a compound of the Collie dog breed and ‘shangie’, a term for an object tied to a dog’s tail. When shangies were tied to a Collie’s tail, it is said to have made them irritable. It has also been said that ‘collie’ could derive from ‘coileid’, a Gaelic word meaning a noise or disturbance." Merriam-Webster defines it as a squabble or brawl.

Another Scottish word I enjoy is WAPPENSCHAWINGS (26/15): an inspection or muster of soldiers formerly held at various times in each district of Scotland
        Last edited by lalatan; 03-23-2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• KLIPSPRINGERS... I think I last heard the word when I was in elementary school, and somehow still remembered it.

Comment

• Here's a fun one: anthropolatry, the worship of humans or worshipping a person as a god.

Seems to be a lot of that lately.

not worth many points considering, but...

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 3.22.25 PM.png

Considering that the game had been played 38 times, and that at least the 3 powerhouses had played it, was surprised it was still there.
            Last edited by Naboka; 05-03-2022, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              wtg, DrP! Good to hear from you.

I found COLLIESHANGIES (26/14) again yesterday. From scotsman.com: "Collieshangie is thought to be a compound of the Collie dog breed and & 'shangie', a term for an object tied to a dog’s tail. When shangies were tied to a Collie's tail, it is said to have made them irritable. It has also been said that ‘collie’ could derive from ‘coileid’, a Gaelic word meaning a noise or disturbance." Merriam-Webster defines it as a squabble or brawl.

Another Scottish word I enjoy is WAPPENSCHAWINGS (26/15): an inspection or muster of soldiers formerly held at various times in each district of Scotland
              Yep, I can understand why they would feel that way.Fascinating stuff lalatan.

Comment

• Originally posted by fert View Post
                I know I'm not as good as all of you people who usually write on here (and nothing's been posted here for 20 months), but I found METALIZE (bad, I know). Definitely my favourite word so far.
                Welcome to the forum fert. Love your avatar!

METALIZE - coating something w/metal.
                Last edited by 2cute; 05-12-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• I just found DREAMLESSNESSES -The state or condition of being dreamless; lack of dreams. My new best word (really exciting)!

Comment

• I found CAMELLIKE. The previous best word was VOLELIKE

Comment

• As an experiment, I tried pulling our Collie's tail, and it made her irritable, so I'm going to look for COLLIESPULLIES.

Comment

• Sometimes, it's good to count one's blessings.

Can there be a favorite unfavorite word?

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 11.29.58 AM.png

ps: certainly will be glad when "sunga" is accepted. A narrow mens swimsuit to cover the genitals. Right up there with dysmenorrhea to give me joy.
                        Last edited by Naboka; 05-11-2022, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fert View Post
                          I just found DREAMLESSNESSES -The state or condition of being dreamless; lack of dreams. My new best word (really exciting)!
                          That's a pretty good find, fert. Congrats!
                          Your excitement and enthusiasm made me recall how I felt when I first started finding long words. Now my excitement has changed to satisfaction when I get on a roll or find a new high-scoring word. But I still enjoy playing the game; I'm surprised I haven't tired of it yet...
                          Enjoy the word hunt, fert!

Naboka, you're coming up with some remarkable words. I wonder if you now have the best vocabulary. Also, it's one thing to have a good vocabulary but recalling all of it while playing a game is another. Impressive.

Comment

• My favourite words are not particularly high-scoring, just amusing: NUDER (how can you be nuder than nude?) and UTERI (like, unless you were a gynecologist or something, where would you ever use that word in ordinary conversation?)

Comment

• For those interested in COVID symptoms: ageusia, which is loss of sense of taste.

Exactly why you lose 3 points for adding an s?

Donno.

Seems like the plural would be even more rare or less used. Heard doctors say, "ageusia," but never "ageusias."

Weird.

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 8.34.58 PM.png

Comment

• First symptom of Covid for me: intensification of sense of taste. Things that were moderately salty became intensely salty. Items that had just a little pepper in them were almost unbearably intense. I could barely stand to eat anything because the tastes were so strong. I had loved to put salt and hot pepper flakes on everything, but suddenly I couldn't bear to add spice to anything at all.. Even milk tasted like someone had added brown sugar to it. The dietary part of it was minor, because the trouble breathing and the need for supplementary oxygen got in the way. Good thing I had the nebulizer and two different ways to increase lung function besides the supplementary oxygen at home, or I'd have been hospitalized. It's more than three weeks on and I'm still nowhere near 100%. Yeah, my O2 readings are often 95%, but if I sit up and take a step they're back to 86 or so. This is going to take a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X