Favourite words found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    First symptom of Covid for me: intensification of sense of taste. Things that were moderately salty became intensely salty. Items that had just a little pepper in them were almost unbearably intense. I could barely stand to eat anything because the tastes were so strong. I had loved to put salt and hot pepper flakes on everything, but suddenly I couldn't bear to add spice to anything at all.. Even milk tasted like someone had added brown sugar to it. The dietary part of it was minor, because the trouble breathing and the need for supplementary oxygen got in the way. Good thing I had the nebulizer and two different ways to increase lung function besides the supplementary oxygen at home, or I'd have been hospitalized. It's more than three weeks on and I'm still nowhere near 100%. Yeah, my O2 readings are often 95%, but if I sit up and take a step they're back to 86 or so. This is going to take a while.
    Glad to hear you're recovering. Was worried about you. Known a few people who didn't make it.

What a weird virus. Such a wide range of strange repercussions. Read an article where some guys are suffering ED after having it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
      First symptom of Covid for me: intensification of sense of taste. Things that were moderately salty became intensely salty. Items that had just a little pepper in them were almost unbearably intense. I could barely stand to eat anything because the tastes were so strong. I had loved to put salt and hot pepper flakes on everything, but suddenly I couldn't bear to add spice to anything at all.. Even milk tasted like someone had added brown sugar to it. The dietary part of it was minor, because the trouble breathing and the need for supplementary oxygen got in the way. Good thing I had the nebulizer and two different ways to increase lung function besides the supplementary oxygen at home, or I'd have been hospitalized. It's more than three weeks on and I'm still nowhere near 100%. Yeah, my O2 readings are often 95%, but if I sit up and take a step they're back to 86 or so. This is going to take a while.
      Wow, I hadn't heard of that symptom. Mostly I'd heard of the opposite (no taste no smell). Sorry its hard for you!

Comment

• Here's a fun one: detraque, detraques, meaning someone who is dangerously deranged.

Certainly, that's a word that most of us could find use for every day. Whether accurate or exaggerated.

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 5.08.23 PM.png

Comment

• I've yet to find Rutherfordium, but will settle for kurchatovium any day. (just love those k's)

Adding an "s" was a bit unexpected. (Who in a lab ever pluralizes single elements?)

but...

Why not gamble?

This game has so many unexpectednesses.

Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 7.53.23 AM.png
          Last edited by Naboka; 05-14-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• One I remember from p-chem: ADIABATIC.

(Which was good for a longest word record on the board, but probably wasn't the longest word on that board.)

Comment

• I have a new favourite word: QUILLOW (worth 16 points, 18 for the plural).
              "A quilt with an attached pocket into which the whole blanket can be folded, thus making a pillow."
              I love it, I want one!

Comment

• Originally posted by crazykate View Post
                I have a new favourite word: QUILLOW (worth 16 points, 18 for the plural).
                "A quilt with an attached pocket into which the whole blanket can be folded, thus making a pillow."
                I love it, I want one!
                Great find & yes, sounds like a great blanket!

Comment

• I like words like gnat and gnus. No scoring words, I just like them.

Comment

• A couple of good words that have popped up on back to back days. Neuk and neuks, meaning a corner or nook.

Adds to kue and kues, meaning the letter Q. Flipped to euk and euks, meaning an itch or restless desire or any skin disorder characterized by intense itching. Each worth 7 points.

That's 44 points for 2-6 seconds of typing. (depending on one's speed)

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 9.41.50 AM.png

Comment

• A topical word for 2022: IRREDENTIST.

Also, I was a little surprised to find that REBOP (an older name for bebop) counts.

Comment

• I love when I find something from my neuroscience background. Today, it was ANTICHOLINERGICS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                          A couple of good words that have popped up on back to back days. Neuk and neuks, meaning a corner or nook.

Adds to kue and kues, meaning the letter Q. Flipped to euk and euks, meaning an itch or restless desire or any skin disorder characterized by intense itching. Each worth 7 points.

That's 44 points for 2-6 seconds of typing. (depending on one's speed)

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 9.41.50 AM.png
                          I would like you to look up the word “neuk” on google translate and do the translation from Dutch into English

Comment

• Originally posted by leabhar View Post

I would like you to look up the word “neuk” on google translate and do the translation from Dutch into English
                            Hilarious.

Thanks for the heads up.

Without a bit of shame, I like the word even better now.

Too bad the english translation from Dutch isn't accepted here. Naughty words are one of life's delights.

In America, guys will often make anything said a reference to their privates. You say, "we're going on vacation." They grab themselves and say, "I've got your vacation for you right here." You say, "that's a big motorcycle." Guy grabs himself and says, "I've got your big motorcycle for you right here."

Doesn't matter what word or phrase you use, it converts to that inexplicable linguistic distortion. So, any word could have that American twist as an obscure definition.

For now, I'ma gonna leave my computer in its normal english neuk, and go take a prolonged nap, and hopefully dream Dutch things. Like tulips. And corners.

Comment

• I also mentioned in another thread: DOGGO counts, and I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Hilarious.

Thanks for the heads up.

Without a bit of shame, I like the word even better now.

Too bad the english translation from Dutch isn't accepted here. Naughty words are one of life's delights.

In America, guys will often make anything said a reference to their privates. You say, "we're going on vacation." They grab themselves and say, "I've got your vacation for you right here." You say, "that's a big motorcycle." Guy grabs himself and says, "I've got your big motorcycle for you right here."

Doesn't matter what word or phrase you use, it converts to that inexplicable linguistic distortion. So, any word could have that American twist as an obscure definition.

For now, I'ma gonna leave my computer in its normal english neuk, and go take a prolonged nap, and hopefully dream Dutch things. Like tulips. And corners.
                                Funny story: my husband is from South Dakota and shortly after he came here, said (I do not remember exactly what is was about, I think it was cold coffee) “can’t you just nuke it?”. I was stunned and asked “where the heck did you learn THAT word”. Some confusion on both sides followed .

Comment

Working...
                                X