Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh okay, i guess the URL changes every time someone plays it

Comment

No problem walden. I laughed at Spike's guess and its appropriateness, not your post, btw.

A tip for you: whenever I post a link I check it after it's posted to see if it works for me.
      Last edited by lalatan; 01-27-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

It was a good idea, and I was looking forward to the challenge. Oh, well...

Comment

That was interesting. I played a board where I found CIRCUMREFERENTIALLY (32/17) for 2 records. The next board I played I found CIRCUMAMBULATES (22/15) for another 2.

Also, on June 23 I posted in the "Green on 50+" thread that I played PSYCHOTOMIMETICALLY. Yesterday I played a board with 2 games played. There it was again. Got it going and coming.

Comment

Yesterday I set a new personal best on my late night session. The board stats showed the best/longest word was 29/14 but it had 32 9+ ultra-rare words. I thought, "There has to be something better there." There was. I hit the mother lode: 133 pts for 3 words. That was the highest value best word record I overtook without adding the plural or a prefix/suffix. As the Brits say, I was chuffed!

REPLACED 29 PT RECORD W 45 PT.jpg

Comment

Congratulations! I'm pretty sure that I've never managed to get a 3-word combination that high. (I think you mentioned getting that or something similar before on the old forums.)

Comment

Thanks Spike. I thought for sure you had bagged the big 5 worth 45 pts each, as well as these 3 at once. If not, I know you're more than capable of doing so!

You're right that I have gotten those 3 words before. What was significant for me is that I beat a 29 pt best word and got the max best word record of 45 pts. I don't usually take on boards with a best word record of >24 pts while trying to set new records. I admit it's an obscure achievement but I was glad it happened.
                Last edited by lalatan; 07-15-2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I think you're right that I'd gotten them sometime after you mentioned getting 133 points for 3 words. I just don't remember associating it at the time with the (probably) highest possible 3-word score.

Comment

Well, Spike, it's the end of a Wordtwist era. After 3 years of tomfoolery, the Wordtwist elves have surprisingly retired after the CSW19 addition. All the best/longest word record totals are in lockstep with each other since then. Wordtwist works in mysterious ways.

I noticed on the best words list, the 45 pts/word barrier was breached this month. Megaword came up with an absolutely crazy word but lapiz9lazuli was the first to do it.

It has been great to play all the games w/o having to look for a suitable one although I've noticed many promising games come up with low value long words. Last week I set 510 records. (For any newbies reading this, I only keep records I set that I think will not be overtaken by others. I lost an average of 23.5 records per month last year with an avg 742 records set/month.) That included the day I broke my old 1 day record of 127 from 3 years ago. At the start of the day I had no intention of breaking it. At 1:00 I only had 20 or so records. Then I hit a 30 minute patch where I couldn't find a good word or the 1 I found wasn't valuable enough. I thought about giving up for the day but started again after lunch. By 5:00 I had 80 records. So I decided to play intermittently on my smartphone while watching tv with my wife. At 9:00 I had 104 records set for the day. My goal was to get over 100 so I quit then. During my late night session, I just played w/o checking totals. At the end I was delighted and surprised to see I made it to 130! I'm much more efficient now than when I set 127. Back then I was hard at it for 10 hours but this time I occasionally dawdled and took lots of breaks. I probably played 5-6 hours.
                    Last edited by lalatan; 03-03-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the new daily records record!

I haven't kept track of the elves for quite a while. I guess everyone retires eventually.

I hadn't seen those 46 point words (and I hadn't ever seen Megaword's word). I was wondering if they'd add a 25 letter word with CSW19. Let's see if one shows up.

Comment

Lalatan, I just clicked through over 50 boards trying to find one you had played, but then I gave up. Too many boards where the longest word has not been found yet. I would have liked to play a few of "your" games, but with so many barely-played boards, it's difficult to find someone specific!

Comment

Sorry about that Kate. I'm doing what I can to remedy that situation. On the Records feed tab on the right side of the game page, the boards are numbered. I had a look at it a few months ago and we were in the 300k's. Now we're in the 560k's so it could take a while...

Comment

Congrats to folkslinger on setting another all-time high in the APPW competition last month. It took skill and remarkable perseverance to achieve a 48 pt value. After I reached 50k 5x5 best/longest word records I thought I might see how high I could go in the monthly competition but you've made it so I don't have to bother anymore.

Congrats to Spike on setting a personal best above 46 pts and to mdyak for a solid 3rd place finish of 40 pts. Also, welcome back to mcdonna.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                              Congrats to folkslinger on setting another all-time high in the APPW competition last month. It took skill and remarkable perseverance to achieve a 48 pt value. After I reached 50k 5x5 best/longest word records I thought I might see how high I could go in the monthly competition but you've made it so I don't have to bother anymore.

Congrats to Spike on setting a personal best above 46 pts and to mdyak for a solid 3rd place finish of 40 pts. Also, welcome back to mcdonna.
                              Hi lalatan,

Your congratulations and post means a lot to me coming from the best big word player of the game. And I'm grateful that that you didn't indicate you are coming out of retirement. Maybe I can keep my record for a little while>

A hearty congratulations to Spike on making the month's competition extremely tough. In my opinion, (with lalatan being the best big word player), you are the second best in the Wordtwist World of big word hunting.

Comment

Thanks folkslinger & lalatan! folkslinger, a 48+ APPW is amazing. I'm guessing you'll keep your record for quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X