Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post
    Any tips?
    You're being way too kind, but thank you. It's really a game of memory and pattern recognition. I don't find long words, but I tend to find a lot of ultra-rare category words which help my scores. I also only play boards that have tons of words. Once you figure out the root words from the ultra-rare category, look for the plural and past tense versions. It probably doesn't sound like any mind blowing advice, but that's because I'm not one of the real superstars on this site. That would be players like FastEddieB, RussDNails, Estive, ThunderRock, MegaWord, etc...I just know this; once you get the taste of scoring really high on games, it becomes very addictive

Comment

• Well, I may have gotten bumped out of the top three in the 5x5 average score competition now that FastEddieB has qualified, but at least I've got a hold on the #2 spot in all time average score for 5x5 Kind of like Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• I just submitted my highest score ever since I started playing 5x5 in September of 2017...only to find out that my one game high score is this month's average score for FastEddieB. Yep, much work to be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brisul View Post
          I just submitted my highest score ever since I started playing 5x5 in September of 2017...only to find out that my one game high score is this month's average score for FastEddieB. Yep, much work to be done.
          No idea if you'll get there but you've been improving. I remember a guy I ran cross-country with in high school. He wasn't very good but he worked at it. When I was a senior he was a sophomore and I wasn't very good, either (11:15 for two miles was nearly a minute off the varsity times), but he was distinctly worse, by more than a minute. I ran intramural cross-country in college and was much better. He made the varsity and led the team by the time he graduated. Lesson: as long as you improve, you can get anywhere. Another lesson from cross-country: it always feels great when you start running the others down and passing them. I don't know if you'll ever pass FastEddieB, nor whether he's improving, nor whether he sees it as a competition. The thing is to have fun with it.

Comment

• Career highs in average score per game, average words per game, single game score and single game word count. It's funny, because when the month started I wasn't even planning on competing! Happy new year, everyone!

Comment

• Never thought I'd ever see it: My first 800+ game. And I was trying vainly to type in a high-scoring word as time ran out and mistyped it five times in a row. There were other related words I wanted to type, too, but at least now I know that if my fingers cooperate I might even see 900 someday.

Game Results

YOUR STATS:
              Total points: 849
              Total words: 94 (44 common,21 wide,3 rare,26 ultra rare)
              Best word: SQUITTERS (20 pts.)
              Longest word: REQUITERS (9 letters)

PUZZLE STATS:

Played: 15 times
              Average Score: 725 points
              Average Words: 109 words
              High Score: 989 points by
              Most Words: 170 words by
              Best Word: SQUITTERED (22 pts) by
              Longest Word: SQUITTERED (10 letters) by

Comment

• The top scorer beat my score by 140 points and 76 words. That's a typical result for me. If you can't type really fast, make the words count! It's the only way I can compete for high score with some of the speed typists. And a bunch of them can find really good words better than I can, too. We all know who I'm talking about.

Comment

• After vowing to discipline my attention span and whip it into adult-like focus...

once again...

distracted by a business call...

to the hall bath...

rocking to Sly's I Want To Take You Higher

(how ironic)

while looking for someone's (who shall not be named, lalatan) loooooong word...

another goose egg.

Without yolk or protein.

Zip.

But, this has become too common to bother with--and the advantage of not playing for anything specifically is the freedom to laugh at complete failures.

However, the purpose of this post: does anyone know why there isn't a zero for total points? (as shown in the attachment)

I think I deserve that zero.

As it is--nothing.

As if I never existed at all.

An existential insult.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 12.09.18 PM.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                    rocking to Sly's I Want To Take You Higher

(how ironic)

while looking for someone's (who shall not be named, lalatan) loooooong word...
                    Ironic indeed, lol

I am sorry. I take no responsibility for target fixation timeouts while looking for 1 of my words. (I can't add a disclaimer.)

I'm still enjoying my stroll through 4x4 finding long words and making up some others. I was amused to find HOBGOBLINISMS. Likewise SCANDALMONGERIES. DEXTROROTATIONS was my favorite manufactured word. It has my vote for most unlikely to succeed but nevertheless did. The tap seems to be reducing the flow of new words somewhat. I'm starting to see more of my games. Those 2 aspects usually mean the beginning of the end. But there are still a lot of lucrative targets.

I know not why total pts isn't recorded as a zero. This website is shrouded in many mysteries.

2-3 months ago I thought I'd send you a PM but was informed you no longer receive them. I hope some crazy person wasn't harassing you...

Last edited by lalatan; 01-15-2023, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Knowing that someone has found a 16-letter word on a 4x4 board provides motivation & incentive to try to find it. This was an easy board, but it still feels good to have succeeded! I will never be a high scorer except on brand new boards; I have yet to break 300 pts or 70 words as I am a miserable typist, but I enjoy the game and the camaraderie!

YOUR STATS:
                      Total points: 112
                      Total words: 9 (3 common,1 wide,1 rare,4 ultra rare)
                      Best word: UNSHAMABLENESSES (30 pts.)
                      Longest word: UNSHAMABLENESSES (16 letters)

PUZZLE STATS:
                      Played: 7 times
                      Average Score: 191.6 points
                      Average Words: 40 words
                      High Score: 354 points by c...
                      Most Words: 83 words by c...
                      Best Word: UNSHAMABLENESSES (30 pts) by lalatan
                      Longest Word: UNSHAMABLENESSES (16 letters) by lalatan

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                        Ironic indeed, lol

I am sorry. I take no responsibility for target fixation timeouts while looking for 1 of my words. (I can't add a disclaimer.)

I'm still enjoying my stroll through 4x4 finding long words and making up some others. I was amused to find HOBGOBLINISMS. Likewise SCANDALMONGERIES. DEXTROROTATIONS was my favorite manufactured word. It has my vote for most unlikely to succeed but nevertheless did. The tap seems to be reducing the flow of new words somewhat. I'm starting to see more of my games. Those 2 aspects usually mean the beginning of the end. But there are still a lot of lucrative targets.

I know not why total pts isn't recorded as a zero. This website is shrouded in many mysteries.

2-3 months ago I thought I'd send you a PM but was informed you no longer receive them. I hope some crazy person wasn't harassing you...

The first two words are easily recognizable. The last one? Awesome find.

The concepts contained in words we don't know... fascinating.

Playing the "what-word-did-latatan-find" game has definite time limits. If I haven't found it in a minute, I dump the game. Don't want to know the word if I can't find it. Takes away the satisfaction. Knowing that such a word is sitting there should be clue enough.

As a computer idiot, I often find I've inadvertently pushed something I shouldn't. I'll see if I can unblock whatever got inadvertently pushed.

ps: think it's fixed now.
                        Last edited by Naboka; 01-15-2023, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• I'm feeling pretty good about myself tonight-I set two records today for best word-farters and receptive. 16 letter word? I doubt I'll ever have one.

Comment

• Originally posted by oddcouple View Post
                            I'm feeling pretty good about myself tonight-I set two records today for best word-farters and receptive. 16 letter word? I doubt I'll ever have one.
                            Nice work! Always gotta keep an eye (and nose) out for farters

Comment

• Thanks to the new boards, I broke 1000 score in 5x5 and am close to breaking 200 words--seems possible for me now.

Comment

• This goes in achievements and accomplishments instead of favourite words because I learned this word through hard study... I'm studying for a bachelor's degree in music therapy at the moment, which includes courses in anatomy and neurology and psychiatry along with the music-related stuff, and my studies just helped me get this best/longest word record:
                                ACETYLCHOLINESTERASES (40 pts.) New record!
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X