No announcement yet.

Achievements and Accomplishments Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a while since I've been able to get on line. My biggest achievement or accomplishment this month was completely shredding my ground internet connection. It's taken me three weeks to get back on line. I'd like to congratulate everybody who made the podiums in May (especially my big word competitors). Congratulations (one day in advance) for all the winners in the month of June! I will rejoin the competition next month. I have greatly missed this game.

PS I'd like to thank my nimble fingered beautiful wife for typing this post for me, as both my hands are still impaired.

[The Seamonster thanks folkslinger for the compliment. We had an interesting time learning about punch downs and how to wire the internet cable recently. That was probably my biggest accomplishment in the last month!]

Comment

On August 16 I reached 30k 5x5 best/longest word records.

Last September I set a goal of winning both 4x4 and 5x5 APPW gold trophies (with an average of at least 1 word played per game) for a year, which I accomplished. So now I'm stepping aside for a while to let others take a run at it.

folkslinger: It seems you're still out of action and probably having a rough go of it. I deal w chronic pain every day and I know it's frustrating not being able to do so many things others can. I don't play here as much as I used to but would really miss it if I was unable to do so. I really hope you can get back into it soon!
      Last edited by lalatan; 09-26-2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Normally the best I can hope for is to clean up lalatan's table scraps...

YOUR STATS:Total points: 211
        Total words: 33 (14 common,6 wide,3 rare,10 ultra rare)
        Best word: LARYNGOLOGISTS (26 pts.) New record!
        Longest word: LARYNGOLOGISTS (14 letters) New record!

PUZZLE STATS:
        Played: 16 times
        Average Score: 195.4 points
        Average Words: 45.3 words
        High Score: 363 points by knishes9
        Most Words: 72 words by knishes9
        Best Word: AGROLOGISTS (20 pts) by lalatan
        Longest Word: AGROLOGISTS (11 letters) by lalatan

Comment

Ah, but could you have added an oto- prefix to that? Please tell me you looked and it wasn't there!

Comment

Or worse yet, OTORHINO-

Comment

I checked for "oto" or any other prefix but they weren't there

Comment

New bests for most words and most points in one board! Haven't new highs in either of those for more than a year.
                Game Results

YOUR STATS:Total points: 756 New record!
                Total words: 135 (60 common,30 wide,10 rare,35 ultra rare) New record!
                Best word: STATERS (12 pts.) New record!
                Longest word: SKINNERS (8 letters) New record!

Play a new game?
                Return to the Home Page

Comment

It's a nice feeling to play a game that's been played 44 times with a longest word of 7 letters, and to immediately find a 15 letter word.

Comment

Originally posted by kittencaboodle View Post
                    It's a nice feeling to play a game that's been played 44 times with a longest word of 7 letters, and to immediately find a 15 letter word.
                    I know the feeling! Good for you! Those personal achievements always feel best.

Comment

Reviving this old thread so I have a place to boast.
                      I just managed to find the longest word in a board with less than 5 seconds to go. Don't ask me what this means, I spotted the syllables in the last 20 seconds and tried the different combinations before this one worked.

Best word: IMMUNOHISTOCHEMIC (32 pts.) New record!
                      Longest word: IMMUNOHISTOCHEMIC (17 letters) New record!
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

I am having trouble finding those long words and then it dawned on me, you really have to have an imagination to find some of those words. Now I am thinking outside of the box.

Comment

I found my first 16 letter word on a 4x4 board this week, ANTAGONISTICALLY. I was really pleased with that. I usually play for highest score / most words, but I really enjoy it when I find a good long word.

Comment

Originally posted by ssdixon View Post
                            I am having trouble finding those long words and then it dawned on me, you really have to have an imagination to find some of those words. Now I am thinking outside of the box.
                            It's more like using building blocks. If you look at the longest possible words, you'll notice that a lot of them are made of a combination of certain syllables, prefixes and suffixes. Once you learn to recognise common combinations, finding long words becomes easier. Also, some building blocks are hardly ever isolated; if you can find "psycho", there's usually something like "neuro" or "logical" in the vicinity. If you can find "-nesses", quite often there's an adjective that you can stick in front of that. "-ism" is another good one, "-graph-", "ology" etc. Looking for long words will slow you down though, unless you're a mythical creature like MegaWord, who is not a bot, but who must have a brain in each of his fingertips or something. Although that would probably give him concussion, so maybe not.

Comment

Kate, I'll go along with all that. That said, I'm still impressed with your IMMUNOHISTOCHEMIC. If I had seen it, I wouldn't have had much faith in the -CHEMIC ending. (Then again, you go with what you can find.)

Comment

Nice find, kate! Good to see you're still looking for long words.

I was pleased and surprised when I attempted CONDUCTOMETRICAL this week and it was successful. Up until that board I had no idea conducto- would ever be used.

Comment

Working...
                                X