Achievements and Accomplishments Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    I'd hurt my right thumb The doctor said I'd sprained it -- by removing clothes from the washer and putting them in the dryer. I guess it's all in how you do it, and if you do it wrong you're going to hurt yourself. But I thought it was more likely to be a repetitive stress injury caused by using my mouse with my right hand. So I moved the mouse to my left hand and the pain has almost completely gone. But was that a sprained thumb naturally healing because it wasn't being abused by the mouse, or was the original injury because of the mouse? Impossible to tell. Suggestion: Change the mouse to the left hand. Balance the work out a little more. Yeah, I know the keyboard already favors the left hand. But the mouse causes more tension than typing. Try it and see if it makes a difference. Can't hurt anything, right? Because if it does, you'll just switch back and call me a few names.
    This made me laugh as its so familiar. We can get injured from doing the simplest activities. I sprained my foot from just landing on it in a weird way when walking down the stairs. I was on crutches for weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

This made me laugh as its so familiar. We can get injured from doing the simplest activities. I sprained my foot from just landing on it in a weird way when walking down the stairs. I was on crutches for weeks.
      So true. I've walked by the fireplace in my basement thousands of times in the 12 years I've been in my current house. One day last year I managed to catch my foot on the corner of the cement flashing, nearly did a summersault across my basement and broke my foot.

Today I was attempting the simplest of plumbing repairs and managed to rip a chunk of skin off my typing thumb with a piece of duct tape of all things You may see my scores take a hit!

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

• Wow, you type with your thumb? That sounds fancy to a two finger hunt and peck player.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post

oh, woo hoo! Thank you. How many times have you bested me this week? Merely curious. I tied RussDnails on words this week, which is such a feat. He is such a great 5X5 player. May I ask why you do not play 5X5? Happy playing.
          You may. I don't play 5x5 for reasons listed elsewhere. Mostly poor reading and typing skills. I thrive on high-point 3, 4 and 5 letter words. 5x5 is for people who can process letters into words faster than I can.

I'm mildly dyslexic. Even with numbers. Our eyes see everything upside down, but our brains reprocess that information and turn the images rightside up. Somehow my eyes and brain aren't really in synch so I've had to learn to add extra processing steps in converting alphanumeric symbols into meaningful sequences. The imagery goes in, wanders around for a while, sits on a park bench to rest, then manages to deliver its package to an overworked clerk who rolls her eyes, brushes off the cookie crumbs and puts the pieces in order. Slows everything down considerably. And the clerk is constantly distracted by streams of gossip.

Not to mention the threat of carpal tunnel. I've adjusted my frantic typing downward to put less pressure on my wrists and forearms. Whatever scores I'm getting these days will probably be easier to beat. And whatever scores others have will be easier to keep.

As for beating you? Interesting question. It's usually about 5 times a day, so I'd guess 35 or more.

Just kidding.

I really seldom beat you. When I do, it's a game rich in high-point 3, 4, and 5 letter words. If the meat of the game depends on longer words I normally don't have a chance of beating you.

If I were given a list of a hundred and twenty words of varying lengths from a game to type and you were given a shorter list of a hundred, you'd end up with a higher score. Why? Because you'd be able to complete your hundred words and I'd have stalled out trying to type some 7 letter word that requires more of the right hand. I'd probably end up with 85-90 words. I actually did an experiment about this and posted it to the forum. Called it An Experiment in Board Familiarity.

I did get the high/words record on a game where you had the longest word but not the high score or most words. Intrapersonal was your word. I wrote it on a piece of scrap paper because... what a great and useful word. I've got notebooks filled with words found here.

I would imagine the players mowing through your records are the usual suspects taking mine. Players who play a lot of games and have the skills to hit 600-800 points. Dannyb, Hyacinthbucket, 2xyster, etc. Some players have less gaudy numbers but are deceptively good and probably take their fair share. Like sunheart and dtbc33.

The really big fish are less likely to take any of your records because they tend to click through the boards in search of high-scoring possibilities. That is, unless you've gotten the record on a board with the potential for 700 + points. Then you're out of luck.

Reading the forums, you discover the inclination of some players to target other players. For a variety of reasons. Hopefully, when you've become a target it's because you're good enough that you've become a challenge. Unfortunately, we also tend to notice which players are easy for us to beat and gravitate to playing games where they hold records.

Wordtwist meets Darwin.

Comment

Thank you for the response. I need to do some research. Thank you.
            Can I suggest that researching equipment is less effective than researching exercise itself?

I visit a lot of art forums. People are constantly asking talented artists what type of pencil or paper or paint they use. Artists get really tired of those questions because it's less about having the right equipment and more about understanding how you use that equipment and why.

A knowledgeable photographer can take a better picture than most of us with the cheapest camera available. A $5,000 camera may give her better results, but won't really change the quality of results for an average person. Without knowing lighting, scale, perspective a person's picture taking won't improve. Without knowing how to frame the image and why you frame it that way to get a particular result, having the best camera in the world won't make much difference.

Since you're a soccer player you probably know a bit about fitness. But even professional athletes depend on trainers. Learning what the trainers know is probably a more efficient use of your research time than searching for equipment.

You can get impressively fit and healthy without any equipment at all. Or, as we've all seen, you can buy expensive equipment that seldom gets used and provides absolutely no benefit. With the right knowledge you can use common things around the house as "exercise equipment."

Comment

• jbud1980,

just played these games against you. The one demanding longer words, you trounced me. The other? Not so much.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 12.29.43 PM.png
              Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 11.46.35 AM.png

Then I played another where you weren't involved, but which demonstrates the point I made about where I do best. 452 points with 87 words, 52 of which were ultra rare and utter nonsense. Of the 87 words I got, only 10 were 5 letters, none longer, and most of the 5's were gotten by adding an s. GAV scored 523 points, with a 13 letter word. I counted 52 words with 6 or more letters, none of which I saw while playing. On a 4x4, I did well. If this were a 5x5, I'd suck badly.

ps. been meaning to mention that I did beat you on a board and noticed you didn't add "e's" on "ear" words like beare, deare, heare, geare, leare, steare, seare. lots of points especially when adding an s. You had also missed esne and enses which come up frequently. Those all came up green on the game and were the difference makers. Don't know if you've added them to your arsenal or not, but...

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                jbud1980,

just played these games against you. The one demanding longer words, you trounced me. The other? Not so much.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 11.46.35 AM.png

Then I played another where you weren't involved, but which demonstrates the point I made about where I do best. 452 points with 87 words, 52 of which were ultra rare and utter nonsense. Of the 87 words I got, only 10 were 5 letters, none longer, and most of the 5's were gotten by adding an s. GAV scored 523 points, with a 13 letter word. I counted 52 words with 6 or more letters, none of which I saw while playing. On a 4x4, I did well. If this were a 5x5, I'd suck badly.

ps. been meaning to mention that I did beat you on a board and noticed you didn't add "e's" on "ear" words like beare, deare, heare, geare, leare, steare, seare. lots of points especially when adding an s. You had also missed esne and enses which come up frequently. Those all came up green on the game and were the difference makers. Don't know if you've added them to your arsenal or not, but...

​​​​​​​
                I'm still learning, and I'll add those to my arsenal. Thank you. I just bested you on high score and words. Your high score was 509 and word count was 83 and I scored 548 with a word count of 93. Prior to checking the forum I played a grid in which I bested dannyB who had the high score and 2xysters who had the most words. I was floored, as I consider both to be some of the best players. I wanted to post photos of the scores in both instances but I don't want to come off as showboating as both instances were flukes.

Thanks for the fitness advice as well. Happy playing.

Comment

I'm still learning, and I'll add those to my arsenal. Thank you. I just bested you on high score and words. Your high score was 509 and word count was 83 and I scored 548 with a word count of 93. Prior to checking the forum I played a grid in which I bested dannyB who had the high score and 2xysters who had the most words. I was floored, as I consider both to be some of the best players. I wanted to post photos of the scores in both instances but I don't want to come off as showboating as both instances were flukes.

Thanks for the fitness advice as well. Happy playing.
                  Congratulations. With that score/points ratio, I imagine it had a bunch of k words, probably sk- words.

Go ahead and post the screen shots. Not really bragging. You deserve to triumph. Who wants to sit at a desk without having feedback. Who wants mere intrapersonal praise when you can receive interpersonal. Feeling good about yourself is a positive. And sharing that good feeling with others magnifies the positive. We all enjoy admiring and being admired. Makes life more livable.

It's when we tear others down to feel better about ourselves that problems occur. Or diminishing their accomplishment. Or refusing to admire what naturally deserves admiration because of jealousy or ill will.

Dannyb and 2xyster are definite good. Always a thrill to best one of them.

I doubt that it's a fluke. If I can beat them occasionally , you certainly can. You'll just continue to add weird words to your arsenal. Studying the word lists after a game is really helpful. I'm pretty sure you're capable of reaching their kind of scores consistently.

Just set a new personal best today. Especially satisfying because I also matched the best word and longest word. That's unusual for my high scores. This one fell into place crazy fast. Saw the dis, then disturb, played the ing, then disturbing, then noticed the -ness, so why not, and the -nesses to complete it. Think it took less than 15 seconds, adding other words in between each addition.

Diss and dissing also came up, but time ran out before I could try dissingness and dissingnesses. They weren't on the word list, so I was left wondering if they would have counted--and for how much.

Also, super satisfying was seeing the game had been played 29 times--and super-fantastically satisfying was that I beat the previous high of a player I'm usually neck and neck with by 200 points.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 7.52.58 PM.png
                  Just occurred to me that I should have held off on posting that score so you could bask in glory. I was just so excited. Also, happy you beat me. So, it's more a sharing than a besting. Happy for your progress and gains. You might run across that game and beat my score. It's just a matter of time. Have fun.

Comment

Congratulations. With that score/points ratio, I imagine it had a bunch of k words, probably sk- words.

Go ahead and post the screen shots. Not really bragging. You deserve to triumph. Who wants to sit at a desk without having feedback. Who wants mere intrapersonal praise when you can receive interpersonal. Feeling good about yourself is a positive. And sharing that good feeling with others magnifies the positive. We all enjoy admiring and being admired. Makes life more livable.

It's when we tear others down to feel better about ourselves that problems occur. Or diminishing their accomplishment. Or refusing to admire what naturally deserves admiration because of jealousy or ill will.

Dannyb and 2xyster are definite good. Always a thrill to best one of them.

I doubt that it's a fluke. If I can beat them occasionally , you certainly can. You'll just continue to add weird words to your arsenal. Studying the word lists after a game is really helpful. I'm pretty sure you're capable of reaching their kind of scores consistently.

Just set a new personal best today. Especially satisfying because I also matched the best word and longest word. That's unusual for my high scores. This one fell into place crazy fast. Saw the dis, then disturb, played the ing, then disturbing, then noticed the -ness, so why not, and the -nesses to complete it. Think it took less than 15 seconds, adding other words in between each addition.

Diss and dissing also came up, but time ran out before I could try dissingness and dissingnesses. They weren't on the word list, so I was left wondering if they would have counted--and for how much.

Also, super satisfying was seeing the game had been played 29 times--and super-fantastically satisfying was that I beat the previous high of a player I'm usually neck and neck with by 200 points.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 7.52.58 PM.png
                    Just occurred to me that I should have held off on posting that score so you could bask in glory. I was just so excited. Also, happy you beat me. So, it's more a sharing than a besting. Happy for your progress and gains. You might run across that game and beat my score. It's just a matter of time. Have fun.

No worries, and congratulations! I'm hoping to hit 600 soon. I've hit 600+ a few times on the 5X5 grid, and even tied RussDNails words once. Since it's about sharing...

Total points: 460 New record!
                    Total words: 96 (39 common,20 wide,6 rare,31 ultra rare) New record!
                    Best word: TRUSSER (12 pts.)
                    Longest word: TRUSSER (7 letters)

PUZZLE STATS:
                    Played: 10 times
                    Average Score: 282.4 points
                    Average Words: 58.9 words
                    High Score: 391 points by danceswithlife
                    Most Words: 81 words by Naboka
                    Best Word: TRUSSER (12 pts) by 63chev
                    Longest Word: CURTSIES (8 letters) by Baranthar

I know this score will be bested shortly.

I often miss words that start with Non. In my mind I find words like noncomplimentary to be hyphenated, so it doesn't occur to me to look for them.

It was 85 today in SoCal.

Comment

No worries, and congratulations! I'm hoping to hit 600 soon. I've hit 600+ a few times on the 5X5 grid, and even tied RussDNails words once. Since it's about sharing...

Total points: 460 New record!
                      Total words: 96 (39 common,20 wide,6 rare,31 ultra rare) New record!
                      Best word: TRUSSER (12 pts.)
                      Longest word: TRUSSER (7 letters)

PUZZLE STATS:
                      Played: 10 times
                      Average Score: 282.4 points
                      Average Words: 58.9 words
                      High Score: 391 points by danceswithlife
                      Most Words: 81 words by Naboka
                      Best Word: TRUSSER (12 pts) by 63chev
                      Longest Word: CURTSIES (8 letters) by Baranthar

I know this score will be bested shortly.

I often miss words that start with Non. In my mind I find words like noncomplimentary to be hyphenated, so it doesn't occur to me to look for them.

It was 85 today in SoCal.
                      85. Sweet.

Glad you posted that grid. I'm always curious about boards. You get a record, and what happened to it? Now I know about that one--at least temporarily. You can always post these when you beat me. Makes me smile.

Other than you being interested, I try to avoid including the names on boards that I beat. Never know how someone will feel. And I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or tick them off. Personally, seeing how someone beats me merely provides useful information I can learn from. So, anytime you beat me, I'd love to see it.

Yesterday was an awesome day. Got my highest score in Wordtwist, then set a couple of personal bests on the bike. Got my second best 5 mile time. Then did a restful mile, followed by half mile intervals. Third interval in I ran my fastest half mile ever on these bikes (25.6 mph) then beat that time with the next interval with 25.7mph. Some days you have it and some days you don't.

Problems with beating your own records is now having a harder record to beat. It never seems to end. Never thought I'd ever hit 600 points. Didn't think I could go over 25.5 mph doing intervals. It's not that I can't go faster, just that training requires me to go at a pace where breathing is controlled and relaxed. Training that balance between effort and endurance, staying relaxed and focused.

Today is one of those fumbling days where you can't get traction. But that's okay.

Tomorrow is another day.

Comment

85. Sweet.

Glad you posted that grid. I'm always curious about boards. You get a record, and what happened to it? Now I know about that one--at least temporarily. You can always post these when you beat me. Makes me smile.

Other than you being interested, I try to avoid including the names on boards that I beat. Never know how someone will feel. And I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or tick them off. Personally, seeing how someone beats me merely provides useful information I can learn from. So, anytime you beat me, I'd love to see it.

Yesterday was an awesome day. Got my highest score in Wordtwist, then set a couple of personal bests on the bike. Got my second best 5 mile time. Then did a restful mile, followed by half mile intervals. Third interval in I ran my fastest half mile ever on these bikes (25.6 mph) then beat that time with the next interval with 25.7mph. Some days you have it and some days you don't.

Problems with beating your own records is now having a harder record to beat. It never seems to end. Never thought I'd ever hit 600 points. Didn't think I could go over 25.5 mph doing intervals. It's not that I can't go faster, just that training requires me to go at a pace where breathing is controlled and relaxed. Training that balance between effort and endurance, staying relaxed and focused.

Today is one of those fumbling days where you can't get traction. But that's okay.

Tomorrow is another day.
                        That was the first time I've posted a screen shot of a grid, and I was unaware of how to delete the names as I just copied and pasted. I will be more mindful in the future if I post a grid again. I'm sure those high scores have already been bested.

Congrats on achieving your highest score so far as well as your athletic achievements.

84 today...

Comment

That was the first time I've posted a screen shot of a grid, and I was unaware of how to delete the names as I just copied and pasted. I will be more mindful in the future if I post a grid again. I'm sure those high scores have already been bested.

Congrats on achieving your highest score so far as well as your athletic achievements.

84 today...
                          Doubt it on the scores. Takes a while to cycle through. I run across my own scores that have been around for well over a month that could easily have been broken. I've posted screen shots of some where I've outscored myself by 200 points, so I know that the beasts could easily have taken it if it had come up. Played one today that I beat by about 60 or so.

84? As in birthday? If so, have a happy one. If so, soccer? Wow.

Didn't mean to imply you had done anything wrong by posting names. People like to see their records remain so posting the longest and best words of someone in a screen shot doesn't matter. I just try to avoid showing the names of whoever was beaten--other than you and me. I don't really know the forum etiquette for such things so I probably should have kept my yap shut about it.

Comment

Doubt it on the scores. Takes a while to cycle through. I run across my own scores that have been around for well over a month that could easily have been broken. I've posted screen shots of some where I've outscored myself by 200 points, so I know that the beasts could easily have taken it if it had come up. Played one today that I beat by about 60 or so.

84? As in birthday? If so, have a happy one. If so, soccer? Wow.

Didn't mean to imply you had done anything wrong by posting names. People like to see their records remain so posting the longest and best words of someone in a screen shot doesn't matter. I just try to avoid showing the names of whoever was beaten--other than you and me. I don't really know the forum etiquette for such things so I probably should have kept my yap shut about it.
                            It was 84 degrees today in SoCal. I'm loving the weather and enjoying the ability to be active outdoors this time of year. Granted, it's incredibly expensive here, as you know, but I was born and raised here and this is my home.

May I ask why you do not play the 5X5 grids? I'm sure you would do well. Happy playing.

Comment

It was 84 degrees today in SoCal. I'm loving the weather and enjoying the ability to be active outdoors this time of year. Granted, it's incredibly expensive here, as you know, but I was born and raised here and this is my home.

May I ask why you do not play the 5X5 grids? I'm sure you would do well. Happy playing.
                              Head slap! Temperature. Of course. You did mention it being 85 earlier.

As for why I don't play the 5x5 grids, the answer probably got lost in all the stuff I write. I tend to put out way too much stuff to consume. Most of it I just delete and put elsewhere. But the answer is earlier in this topic thread. Just go up a few responses to the one posted 11-21-2021 at 11:42 am. There are a couple of paragraphs about why.

Comment

...Didn't mean to imply you had done anything wrong by posting names. People like to see their records remain so posting the longest and best words of someone in a screen shot doesn't matter. I just try to avoid showing the names of whoever was beaten--other than you and me. I don't really know the forum etiquette for such things so I probably should have kept my yap shut about it.
                                I think it's good etiquette for you not to display the name of the person whose records you've beaten. It's something I've done over the years. (Possibly some exceptions exist; not going to check them all.) Therefore it used to irk me somewhat when someone exulted over beating me. But now I don't mind; it's sometimes an achievement for them that has taken a long time so I understand the celebration.

I enjoy blotting the records of anyone who has accused me of cheating over the years the most. TOOMANYCHEATERS eluded me for some time since he hardly ever sets any best/longest records but I finally got him a while ago. It's satisfying to better other long word players' records and any best word record over 20 pts.
                                Last edited by lalatan; 11-23-2021, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X