Achievements and Accomplishments Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
    I think it's good etiquette for you not to display the name of the person whose records you've beaten. It's something I've done over the years. (Possibly some exceptions exist; not going to check them all.) Therefore it used to irk me somewhat when someone exulted over beating me. But now I don't mind; it's sometimes an achievement for them that has taken a long time so I understand the celebration.
    Actually I played a game yesterday that had your name on it and 0 (ZERO) points! It made me worry what happened to you. Did you fall off your chair? The phone rang? The power went out? Or maybe you just pressed submit by mistake. It was a fun game with SUPERCYNICALNESSES, and I would have been happier matching you than worrying what happened to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Actually I played a game yesterday that had your name on it and 0 (ZERO) points! It made me worry what happened to you. Did you fall off your chair? The phone rang? The power went out? Or maybe you just pressed submit by mistake. It was a fun game with SUPERCYNICALNESSES, and I would have been happier matching you than worrying what happened to you!
      Thanks for your concern, mdyak. I probably have 3 of those games almost every week. It could be that the phone rings, my wife talks to me, I get a text and think I better check it, someone shows up at the door, the wifi craps out or I just get transfixed on finding a word and time expires. I used to think it was an embarrassing (still is somewhat) disaster but now my reaction is: Oh well...
      Also, nice word find. I found it before so probably would've seen it. I thought it should be worth more than 34 pts but maybe I'm being supercynical.
      Last edited by lalatan; 11-23-2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I think it's good etiquette for you not to display the name of the person whose records you've beaten. It's something I've done over the years. (Possibly some exceptions exist; not going to check them all.) Therefore it used to irk me somewhat when someone exulted over beating me. But now I don't mind; it's sometimes an achievement for them that has taken a long time so I understand the celebration.

I enjoy blotting the records of anyone who has accused me of cheating over the years the most. TOOMANYCHEATERS eluded me for some time since he hardly ever sets any best/longest records but I finally got him a while ago. It's satisfying to better other long word players' records and any best word record over 20 pts.
        Thank you for responding. I will make sure not to do this again in the future. Happy playing, lalatan.

Comment

I enjoy blotting the records of anyone who has accused me of cheating over the years the most. TOOMANYCHEATERS eluded me for some time since he hardly ever sets any best/longest records but I finally got him a while ago. It's satisfying to better other long word players' records and any best word record over 20 pts.
          There is at least one exception. I enjoy seeing when and how someone beat my scores. Doesn't embarrass me a bit. Just a learning experience that one can grow from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

There is at least one exception. I enjoy seeing when and how someone beat my scores. Doesn't embarrass me a bit. Just a learning experience that one can grow from.
            I'm part of the 600 club now! I just bested my previous highest score and word count. 632 points and 129 words! I know the high scores are only temporary; I'm just happy to be improving. Happy playing Naboka.

It was cooler today at 72.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post

I'm part of the 600 club now! I just bested my previous highest score and word count. 632 points and 129 words! I know the high scores are only temporary; I'm just happy to be improving. Happy playing Naboka.

It was cooler today at 72.
              Awesome. Expect to see you hitting 700 some day.

Crazy how personal high scores can jump by large amounts. You look down and wonder WTF!

Comment

• Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post
                Thank you for responding. I will make sure not to do this again in the future. Happy playing, lalatan.
                My intent for writing what I did was not to censure anyone. There are no forum rules here and there's no moderator. Naboka wasn't sure if there were any so I wanted to let him know there are no formal rules and at the same time wanted to commend him on his choice to consider the feelings of others. I cited my choice to encourage him to keep on doing so. Then, not wanting to set myself up as a paragon of virtue, I included my hierarchy of satisfaction in bettering certain other players' records and my former reaction to seeing others celebrating their victories over me.

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                I included the parenthesized section in my post about possible exceptions just in case I ever forgot to edit the usernames of players I beat on screenshots I had posted. I think it's wonderful you consider the feelings of others when doing so yourself.

Congrats to you both on setting new personal bests! Enjoy the games.
                Last edited by lalatan; 11-24-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Well after 26,628 games of 4X4, I finally broke the 1,000 point threshold which has been a long time goal of mine!! Next on the achievement bucket list is to get 200 words - I’ve gotten 199 twice

Comment

Awesome. Expect to see you hitting 700 some day.

Crazy how personal high scores can jump by large amounts. You look down and wonder WTF!
                    Oh, I knew it was a good game, but it didn't feel like anything different from previous "good games" I've played. I definitely hope to hit 700 one day. Thank you, and happy playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by boysmom View Post
                      Well after 26,628 games of 4X4, I finally broke the 1,000 point threshold which has been a long time goal of mine!! Next on the achievement bucket list is to get 200 words - I’ve gotten 199 twice
                      Wow, congrats!! I'll go out a limb (a very solid one, I suspect) and say that's probably the most pts ever swiped in a 4x4 game.

Comment

Wow, congrats!! I'll go out a limb (a very solid one, I suspect) and say that's probably the most pts ever swiped in a 4x4 game.
                        Thank you! I’m not sure if Megaword has ever gotten that many points swiping; I’m sure if he practiced he could.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussDNails View Post

So true. I've walked by the fireplace in my basement thousands of times in the 12 years I've been in my current house. One day last year I managed to catch my foot on the corner of the cement flashing, nearly did a summersault across my basement and broke my foot.

Today I was attempting the simplest of plumbing repairs and managed to rip a chunk of skin off my typing thumb with a piece of duct tape of all things You may see my scores take a hit!

Cheers,

Russ
                          Ow Ow Ow ... it hurts me just to read your words ... I hope your thumb is improving ...

Comment

You may. I don't play 5x5 for reasons listed elsewhere. Mostly poor reading and typing skills. I thrive on high-point 3, 4 and 5 letter words. 5x5 is for people who can process letters into words faster than I can.

I'm mildly dyslexic. Even with numbers. Our eyes see everything upside down, but our brains reprocess that information and turn the images rightside up. Somehow my eyes and brain aren't really in synch so I've had to learn to add extra processing steps in converting alphanumeric symbols into meaningful sequences. The imagery goes in, wanders around for a while, sits on a park bench to rest, then manages to deliver its package to an overworked clerk who rolls her eyes, brushes off the cookie crumbs and puts the pieces in order. Slows everything down considerably. And the clerk is constantly distracted by streams of gossip.
                            Excellent description! It's much harder to compete when you have a disability. Not to say you can't compete, because you do pretty great, its just like dancing with someone on crutches, it's possible, just much harder than someone more able bodied.

Comment

• Spike, I think you made a notable achievement last month when you reached 45.242 pts/word w an avg words/game of >1 in the APPW competition last month, an amount never reached before. (Who would have thought a year ago such a thing could ever happen?) I admire your word knowledge, patience and perseverance that it took to attain that lofty mark. Congrats!! (I don't see myself ever trying to challenge it.)

Also, congrats to L9UR91 for winning the gold 4x4 APPW last month. I sent you a PM 4 months ago but don't know if you've even seen it yet since there's no notification that a new msg came in.

Comment

• lalatan, thanks! I did get a little carried away once I saw 45 was in reach. (I figured that was kind of a symbolic goal, since under the old scoring that could never have happened.) Anyway, I'm taking it easier this month.

Comment

Working...
                                X