No announcement yet.

Achievements and Accomplishments Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All those problems with Xfinity! I have Spectrum and they're not perfect, either. But their faults aren't at all like yours. With Spectrum, they'll sometimes just go down for a half-hour or an hour and if you call them an automated message will tell you that it was scheduled upgrade or service downtime. But you are never notified about it beforehand, so it either wasn't scheduled or they don't care to tell you. Fortunately, those outages are maybe three or four times a year. And their cost is pretty high, I think. For 100 MBPs I pay $75 a month plus taxes. And they're the only game in town that will give you anywhere near that speed, too. Cellphone carriers are trying to get into the act now, too, but they have data caps. And if you stream your TV as I do, you really don't want data caps. Ever. That's the downside of living in a rural community.

If you're really rural around here -- out on a farm, far out of town -- your best bet is satellite internet. You can get 25 MBPs down, but the uploading speed will probably be less than 1 MBPs. And then bad weather can mean no internet. Cheap and fast internet generally requires you to live in a big city. I would never do that. I have, and it's not for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
      I'm not sure I've ever seen an flagged post that got approved either. However, I know I've managed small edits in the not-too-distant past without getting flagged. I tried a second edit once before (after the first one slipped through) & that was apparently too much.

By the way, on my post that did get through, I just cut & pasted my previous "spam" post into it & that worked. Anyway, it would be nice to know the rules (aside from "don't edit").
      Yes, I agree a set of rules or legend would be most helpful.

You're lucky to have been able to edit. I've certainly given up trying.

Comment

• I did put something in the "Reason for Edit" field. No idea if that made a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
          All those problems with Xfinity! I have Spectrum and they're not perfect, either. But their faults aren't at all like yours. With Spectrum, they'll sometimes just go down for a half-hour or an hour and if you call them an automated message will tell you that it was scheduled upgrade or service downtime. But you are never notified about it beforehand, so it either wasn't scheduled or they don't care to tell you. Fortunately, those outages are maybe three or four times a year. And their cost is pretty high, I think. For 100 MBPs I pay $75 a month plus taxes. And they're the only game in town that will give you anywhere near that speed, too. Cellphone carriers are trying to get into the act now, too, but they have data caps. And if you stream your TV as I do, you really don't want data caps. Ever. That's the downside of living in a rural community.

If you're really rural around here -- out on a farm, far out of town -- your best bet is satellite internet. You can get 25 MBPs down, but the uploading speed will probably be less than 1 MBPs. And then bad weather can mean no internet. Cheap and fast internet generally requires you to live in a big city. I would never do that. I have, and it's not for me.
          My neighbor used to have Direct TV using a dish on his roof. Well during Superbowl sunday one year it SNOWED & I mean like more than 8" & yep, his dish was full of snow & he didn't have any reception whatsoever. As you can imagine he was pissed. He ingeniously hooked up a hose to the hot water facet inside his home, added a sprayer to it & stood outside 'spraying the dish' with HOT WATER to remove the snow & thus be able to continue enjoying TV. Needless to say, he got rid of Direct TV & switched to Fios by Verizon not too long after that.

I don't think Spectrum is available in my area, I must admit I've never even heard of it before now. Yes, I do live near 2 big cities, yet I wouldn't consider my service 'cheap', actually I think its quite expensive. There is no 'cheap' option, unless you count having no internet & just reading books for entertainment.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

My neighbor used to have Direct TV using a dish on his roof. Well during Superbowl sunday one year it SNOWED & I mean like more than 8" & yep, his dish was full of snow & he didn't have any reception whatsoever. As you can imagine he was pissed. He ingeniously hooked up a hose to the hot water facet inside his home, added a sprayer to it & stood outside 'spraying the dish' with HOT WATER to remove the snow & thus be able to continue enjoying TV. Needless to say, he got rid of Direct TV & switched to Fios by Verizon not too long after that.

I don't think Spectrum is available in my area, I must admit I've never even heard of it before now. Yes, I do live near 2 big cities, yet I wouldn't consider my service 'cheap', actually I think its quite expensive. There is no 'cheap' option, unless you count having no internet & just reading books for entertainment.
            It's not just snow that will knock satellite TV out. Ice, heavy rain, and the wrong time of the year (your satellite is covered by the sun during the equinoxes) will do it, too. And some of those outages can take a while to resolve, too. I had satellite TV for years and I can verify all those things, because they all happened to me.

As far as "cheap" or "expensive" is concerned, in my on-line chats with people in cities like Chicago, LA, and NYC (and other large cities) their charge for gigabyte internet is about half what I'm paying and I have a tenth of what they do. I live about 80 miles from Chicago and 50 miles from Milwaukee, but I used to live about 45 miles from each of them and I had the same deal I have now. To get really fast internet, I'd have had to live in Chicago or one of the close suburbs -- and not all of them had it, either.

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think Spectrum and ComCast are the same thing; one owns the other or they're both owned by something else. If you don't have Spectrum, you probably have ComCast. In markets where there is no competition, you will be paying the same as I am. I verified that, too, with customers from Washington to Georgia. Same plans, same prices, same push to get their cable TV service, etc. And, as you pointed out, not cheap.

Comment

• The Xfinity tech showed up on time yesterday and spent 1.5 hours. He inspected the line from pole to my house, replacing a couple of connectors that he said were old and questionable, and also replaced the modem/router/hub box with one that is newer and has a much smaller footprint, which is nice. He didn't find a smoking gun but I've seen no more drops in the past 24 hours which is a great improvement as it had been dropping at least once or twice per hour. I give him 5 stars for courtesy, diligence, competence, and results.

I'm in Corvallis, Oregon, a university town of around 50k residents including students. I started with what was then Comcast back in 2005, and over the years the speed has increased, reliability has been good, and price hasn't varied much. I pay a little over $60/month for Xfinity cable Internet service, with speed from 50-80 Mbps download and around 5 upload. I have a 1229GB monthly limit but my maximum usage has been less than 100GB, as I have no TV or streaming service other than occasional YouTube or Amazon Prime. Now that I'm mostly retired the price is a stretch for me but this is the cheapest plan they offer. Phone line DSL is roughly the same price for much lower speed and the only other viable option is cellular. Other than price, my only complaint is their support system which seems to be focused on protecting technicians from us customers.

I am grateful to have the option for high-speed access. Prior to returning to Oregon, I was in rural Coloma, California. When I first moved there in 1995 I tried to telecommute and was only able to get 14.4k as my phone wiring wasn't of high enough quality for the new 28.8k modems, so I returned to work in the Bay Area until 1997, when I could move to a different neighborhood and get ISDN at 56/128k. I switched to StarBand satellite in 2002, which offered 1.5 Mbps/256 kbps, but its drivers didn't support Macintosh OS so I was using a shareware patched up driver that didn't always keep up with changes. A year later they introduced a Mac version. Being able to get fast Internet was a factor in deciding to leave there in 2005. Nowadays most of my Coloma friends have service via small local towers that transmit from one ridgetop to another and it is still expensive, slow, and erratic.

Just another reminder of the privileges I take for granted!

Comment

• As a rule, if a service tech does an especially good job (I've done this for furnace repair, plumbers, electricians, waiters/waitresses, phone support, as well as electronic specialties), praise them. Praise them in writing and make it specific and if someone calls you back repeat the praise and amplify it.

Life is short, and anyone who will make it more pleasant along the way ought to be encouraged. As I age, that is something I always knew and never appreciated nearly as much as I should have. The goal: THE GOOD GUYS ALWAYS WIN.

Comment

• One more thing: Since you don't have TV, I suggest you investigate Pluto. It's FAST (Free Ad-Supported Television) and you can view it on your computer. All the news feeds are available, but without the talking heads and special shows -- it's just the news feed. But there's a lot more you can view if you wish. I like America's Test Kitchen, Antiques RoadShow (BBC version) and Antiques Road Trip (BBC again). PBS is also free and available on line. I doubt sincerely that you will come anywhere near your maximum download limit as long as you're watching on your computer. You can even watch movies on your computer. Or cooking shows about Korean/Japanese/French/Italian cuisine. Or lecture/documentary shows about how to correctly don a Roman toga and life in Rome at the height of the empire, Greek myths, ancient military strategies, battles in the various world wars, the life of Alexander the Great, and a thousand other things. I like shows in foreign languages, especially if they have subtitles that can help my understanding.

The internet can be like a firehose, but you can filter it down to something a little more manageable. Your download speed is certainly sufficient. Yes, you're overpaying for what you're getting. But it is sufficient, and that's what matters.

Comment

It's not just snow that will knock satellite TV out. Ice, heavy rain, and the wrong time of the year (your satellite is covered by the sun during the equinoxes) will do it, too. And some of those outages can take a while to resolve, too. I had satellite TV for years and I can verify all those things, because they all happened to me.

As far as "cheap" or "expensive" is concerned, in my on-line chats with people in cities like Chicago, LA, and NYC (and other large cities) their charge for gigabyte internet is about half what I'm paying and I have a tenth of what they do. I live about 80 miles from Chicago and 50 miles from Milwaukee, but I used to live about 45 miles from each of them and I had the same deal I have now. To get really fast internet, I'd have had to live in Chicago or one of the close suburbs -- and not all of them had it, either.

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think Spectrum and ComCast are the same thing; one owns the other or they're both owned by something else. If you don't have Spectrum, you probably have ComCast. In markets where there is no competition, you will be paying the same as I am. I verified that, too, with customers from Washington to Georgia. Same plans, same prices, same push to get their cable TV service, etc. And, as you pointed out, not cheap.
                    Xfinity is Comcast. It is Comcast that owns a whole bunch. Comcast owns Universal Studios, Universal Parks & Resorts, Dreamworks, ABC, Disney, ESPN, NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, E Network, Telemundo, Olympic Channel, USA, SyFy, Bravo, Fandango, Style, Peacock On Demand, Fox Entertainment (not News or Sports that's still owned by Murdoch), Carnival Films, Matchbox Pictures, XUMO etc ...

Comment

• Okay, after I wrote the list, I realized I hadn't kept up w/what they owned & for how long, the info could've changed. Yep, it changed. So my info is a little wrong. As far as Disney, it does own Fox Sports (so Murdoch only owns the news division now). I found this informative very detailed map of all the companies Disney owns but if I add the actual link, this message will be flagged for spam, so here's a portion of it: titlemax.com/wp-content/uploads/every-company-disney-owns.jpeg (this map is as of 2019, so it could've changed since then). Here's another site that lists their holdings: filmdaft.com/what-companies-does-disney-own/ .

As far as Comcast still owning Disney, I'm finding conflicting info, I know it did @ one time but ... well, that'll be another hour of research for another time.

Comment

• In an earlier post of mine, I said that losing contact with the Wordtwist server during play might not be fatal if you could reestablish the connection even after the time had run out. Stephen may have been paying attention & changed that. I played a board where I entered a word, then lost contact before time ran out. (I have occasional Xfinity problems, especially in the morning.) Anyway, I managed to switch networks & get reconnected, probably less than 30 seconds after the board would have timed out. This time, it did give final stats for the board showing no words played and a message I'd never seen before: "This game started too long ago to be tallied." Looks like Stephen may have added a timer.

Comment

Since you don't have TV, I suggest you investigate Pluto. It's FAST (Free Ad-Supported Television) and you can view it on your computer. ...

The internet can be like a firehose, but you can filter it down to something a little more manageable. ...
                          Thanks for the suggestion of Pluto; I'll definitely look into it.

As for firehoses, long before the Internet there was infinitely more content than I'm able to manage, starting with our small local library when I was in first grade. I've only had TV/streaming service a few times in my life and then only because someone else in the household had chosen to install it. I've picked up little packages here and there to watch Star Trek or local news but if I have more options I can disappear into them and never come out. I discovered last year (at age 71) that I have ADHD, which helps to explain why it's so difficult for me to focus on anything important if there is something more immediately appealing in the neighborhood.

YouTube is almost manageable. The first year of the pandemic I became seriously addicted, first to news, then to opera (go figure), then to Baryshnikov ballet. The only way I can keep it under control these days is that I unsubscribed and hid the most tempting channels and do NOT pay to turn off ads, as they are annoying enough to remind me that I might need to be doing something else!

The only real downside is that I'm left out of conversations whenever the topic turns to popular culture. I don't really miss watching the shows but I do miss being able to chat with friends. Luckily there are Star Trek fans lurking in many corners.

Comment

• Freevee is also free, and so is Tubi and Plex and Xumo, and . . . Anyway, here's another one for you: Columbo. I'll bet you haven't seen them all. I certainly haven't. Ah, but Peacock is free, too. And they have all the original Columbo stuff. The ads are really light, though, only 15 - 30 seconds for most of them. There's a Columbo movie that predates the series: "Prescription: Murder". The movie starts with an announcement that they don't want to mess the movie up, so there will be only one commercial break at the beginning, and the movie will then be shown uninterrupted. And it was good, too.

FreeVee (formerly IMDb) has almost every movie you ever wanted to see. And every series. I'll bet you'll like Mary Berry and her cooking shows (British, of course). But Pluto has America's Test Kitchen, and Antiques Roadshow (British version) and Antiques Road Trip (addictive and fun). Haystack News and Local News Now give you local news broadcasts free.

There's another feed for Science Fiction classics. Wanna watch "Flowers for Algernon"? It's there.

You have to be judicious. There's so much there. It really is a firehose. If you have ADHD, then you need to make a list. Here are the movies I'd like to watch. Here are the series. Here are the kinds of shows. Now, where are they? Today, you watch one Columbo and one Antiques Road Trip. Tomorrow, you watch one America's Test Kitchen and one Julia Child. And so on. If you like Star Trek, then Paramount+ is where you go. You can watch all the original Star Trek and all the spin-offs. Want to watch Twilight Zone? That's Peacock, also free.

I wasn't kidding about shows about life in old Rome and Greek Myths and the rest of it, either. So it really is a firehose. The only possible solution to that is to ration your time. Two hours of TV per day (or whatever) and no more. So many hours of reading, and no more. So many hours walking, or jogging, or exercising. If you let yourself run free, you're running down the rabbit hole too much of the time. You know that already.

And make sure to include time here. You have friends here.

Comment

• mcdonna ......."And make sure to include time here. You have friends here." Quoted from BWT1213.

I will certainly 2nd that sentiment.

You have been great to watch since you have come back to the game.
                              Your earlier comments on the new long words (quinquaquinqua...etc etc.) How fast you found information on them and understood what they were FLOORED me because it had taken me sooo much longer to get my head around them and we were the same age (until today, now I'm 72.) Which reminds me I better play the game and get to bed because I have to get up early and go for a flight in a World War II B25 Mitchell Bomber for my birthday. Tick another one off the bucket list!

Comment

• Originally posted by folkslinger View Post
                                ...we were the same age (until today, now I'm 72.)
                                Happy birthday, folkslinger!

Comment

Working...
                                X