No announcement yet.

The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gotten PERNICKETINESS (in one form or another) here, as well as DISCOMBOBERATE. I'd never heard them before & figured that they must be local variations or something. It didn't occur to me that they were the British variants.

By the way, today I got PSYCHOLEXICOLOGISTS. I assume that's another word for wordtwist players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
      By the way, today I got PSYCHOLEXICOLOGISTS. I assume that's another word for wordtwist players.
      Lol, Spike! I found PSYCHOLEXICOLOGICAL but not that word nor DISCOMBOBERATE. Good finds.

I noticed you set a new high of 43.5 pts/word in last month's APPW competition. Congrats and well done!
      I thought about seeing how high I could go with the new higher scoring words but honestly can't bring myself to do that amount of clicking anymore. Finding the high value words doesn't challenge me like it used to. Last March I competed for APPW and won but didn't enjoy the process. I may change my mind in the future but that's where I'm at right now.

Comment

• As far as strange, bizarre and unexpected, I never thought that when I finally got my monthly average up over 1000 I would have any uncertainty about getting a top three spot in the score charts. Amazing.

Comment

• lalatan, thanks for the congrats! I started out last month only going for new words on the board. I started out strong, but realized that I wasn't finding enough to keep my average up. I fell back on clicking & did a lot more of that than I like. Now I'm back to new words only. I have no doubt that you could beat my score (maybe even break 45) if you wanted to.

Comment

• Strange, bizarre, and unexpected, all right. Talk about a score variance! I played both boards today. Spike got the big word after my first play and before my second. I didn't find it the first time around and did the second, but that wasn't the whole reason for the difference in scores. Anyone else have anything similar?

Game Results

YOUR STATS:Total points: 655 New record!
            Total words: 98 (46 common,12 wide,10 rare,30 ultra rare)
            Best word: UNCONVERTIBLENESSES (36 pts.)
            Longest word: UNCONVERTIBLENESSES (19 letters)

PUZZLE STATS:
            Played: 4 times
            Average Score: 304.6 points
            Average Words: 51.6 words
            High Score: 509 points by bwt1213
            Most Words: 101 words by bwt1213
            Best Word: UNCONVERTIBLENESSES (36 pts) by Spike1007
            Longest Word: UNCONVERTIBLENESSES (19 letters) by Spike1007

Comment

• the mind boggles...

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                That's a beaut. It reminds me of 1 of my favorite finds: PERNICKETINESSES (the British equivalent of persnickety). There must be a board where we can find PERNICKETIEST or even PERSNICKETIEST. BOLO
                While collecting best/longest word records in 4x4 yesterday (for something different) I laughed when I found this:
                PERNICKETIEST POST.jpg

The search is promptly over. Thanks Wordtwist!

Comment

• I just played this, 1 of my favorite words I've found:
                  CRINGEWORTHINESSES POST.jpg

Comment

• MATEYNESSES was unexpected

Comment

• I've seen it a few times, but ANUSES always amuses me. I can't imaging any circumstances, other than this game, where I would need to use that word!

Comment

• My favorite is OUTSIN, as if it's a contest. Close second is SNOUTIEST.

Comment

• I always get a chuckle out of DOOB, DOOBS, DOOBIE, and DOOBIES. All available on the same board if you find it........

I also like CRWTH and PSST which as far as I know are the only 4+ letter English words without a vowel.

SHH and HMM are the only 3 letter words I know of without a vowel but I don't play 4 x 4 so I don't ever use these.

NTH might also work on 4 x 4.
                          Last edited by RussDNails; 07-28-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• I call Obi Wan Kenobi (the dog), Doobie for short...I don't think the offspring know the vernacular...

Comment

• Originally posted by RussDNails View Post

I also like CRWTH and PSST which as far as I know are the only 4+ letter English words without a vowel.

SHH and HMM are the only 3 letter words I know of without a vowel but I don't play 4 x 4 so I don't ever use these.

NTH might also work on 4 x 4.
                              I became curious about words with no vowels some time ago and found this:

I was amazed there are so many, although many longer words have a y in them. According to this y is a vowel sometimes and sometimes not (I recall from elementary school the vowel list: a, e, i, o, u and sometimes y. But I was never taught why it's sometimes y.)
                              https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...%20or%20beyond
                              Last edited by lalatan; 07-29-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• I once had a discussion with a native Serbian speaker. She told me that in school she was told that S and R are also vowels, and pointed out that they could be used that way in English as well -- you could pronounce them to connect consonants with no trouble at all. Her example, if I remember it correctly, was "Srpska". Anyone can say it despite the lack of any "vowels" in the first five letters.

Comment

Working...
                                X