X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwt1213
    replied
    Originally posted by lalatan View Post
    Yeah, go for it, mdyak! If you start a new thread for it, I'll contribute.

I just played a board where the best/longest word seemed to be RADICALNESSES (19/13). Right in front of it was mini- so I tried MINIRADICALNESSES and was denied. A miniradical wouldn't be whole-hog radical, just a little bit.
    Ah, but if it had been there would semidemisemiradicalnesses have been acceptable? Quinquasexideciradicallnesses? And for everyone who knows what a radicle is, it seems perfectly clear that radiclenesses should be a word, too. I'll bet a lot of prefixes should hook right on there.

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied

I just played a board where the best/longest word seemed to be RADICALNESSES (19/13). Right in front of it was mini- so I tried MINIRADICALNESSES and was denied. A miniradical wouldn't be whole-hog radical, just a little bit.
    Like a contrary gerbil?

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied

Last edited by lalatan; 02-24-2022, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    What could be more obscure than OBSCURENESSES (19/13)? SUBOBSCURENESSES (30/16), perhaps? Not so. SUBOBSCURE: Somewhat dark or obscure; (Botany and Zoology) somewhat dark and dingy in colour. (I guess it's shorter than typing SOMEWHATOBSCURENESSES )
    Oh, let's do this! Let's invent a new Boggle game of all made-up or sort of half made-up words. I love SOMEWHATOBSCURENESSES!

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    What could be more obscure than OBSCURENESSES (19/13)? SUBOBSCURENESSES (30/16), perhaps? Not so. SUBOBSCURE: Somewhat dark or obscure; (Botany and Zoology) somewhat dark and dingy in colour. (I guess it's shorter than typing SOMEWHATOBSCURENESSES )
    Last edited by lalatan; 03-02-2022, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied
    Originally posted by Naboka View Post

always interested in interesting words.

found apricate today. to bask in the sun.

Love to apricate.
    Speaking of which: bask, basked, and basking are all accepted. Basker and baskers are not, or at least they weren't the last time I tried. No apparent reason for their omission.

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    Cool word. I used to love to apricate as well but the nerve pain in my feet ramps up when they get hot. Can only do so now when I'm close by water to cool my feet off. I'm glad I can still walk the beach for a while.

Today I learned: noun: paraesthesia
    1. an abnormal sensation, typically tingling or pricking (“pins and needles”), caused chiefly by pressure on or damage to peripheral nerves.
    Never knew the medical name for it.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    I never got it. I looked it up in Collin's and YAWL dictionaries. Not in either one so I doubt it was valid. SURGELESS was in YAWL but not Collin's.
    I played another board with MALARIOLOGIES on it and set 2 records again. I came up w 3 other words you may find entertaining when you come across them.
    always interested in interesting words.

found apricate today. to bask in the sun.

Love to apricate.

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    I never got it. I looked it up in Collin's and YAWL dictionaries. Not in either one so I doubt it was valid. SURGELESS was in YAWL but not Collin's.
    I played another board with MALARIOLOGIES on it and set 2 records again. I came up w 3 other words you may find entertaining when you come across them.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    Has anyone gotten "urgelessnesses?" My fumbly fingers got anxious so I couldn't get it in during that last seconds rush and was wondering if it would have counted.

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    Originally posted by mdyak View Post
    Nah, I'm no expert... just love cymatics. Check out YouTube videos - amazing and beautiful patterns created in sand and water and other substances just through the vibration of sound. Theories are that the frequencies of planets may also be creating patterns around them.
    That is some cool stuff. It seems composers don't have that many resonant frequencies to choose from. I had to laugh when the director in Nigel Stanford's video about the bass speaker said they found that frozen vodka had the best property for vibrating at 50 and 100 Hz. Made me wonder how many other liquids they tried (or what other liquors, haha).
    It's always so ironic in sci-fi shows that the spaceship goes rumbling and roaring by with rockets blazing when in reality it would be totally quiet in the vacuum of outer space.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Nah, I'm no expert... just love cymatics. Check out YouTube videos - amazing and beautiful patterns created in sand and water and other substances just through the vibration of sound. Theories are that the frequencies of planets may also be creating patterns around them.
    Wow. Opened up a whole new world of...

Leave a comment:

• BoggleOtaku
    replied
    I've done research with photoacoustics before, but cymatics is a new word to me. Photoacoustics is broader in application than I realized, and I missed out on some of the more beautiful/artistic applications. I would guess you could use a piezo actuator as a source for cymatics in many cases more easily than photoacoustics. Photoacoustics would be of more interest when you wanted to probe something remotely/noncontact or when what you wanted probe was dependent on some property of light such as wavelength.

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    Wow, I never heard of photoacoustics or cymatics til today. You could be right; seems like you're more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    Wow, I never heard of photoacoustics or cymatics til today. You could be right; seems like you're more knowledgeable than me on the subject.
    Last edited by lalatan; 01-20-2022, 05:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X