X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2cute
    replied
    Originally posted by walden123 View Post

Sorry for the *very* late response, I don't know if the number of boards like that has decreased since that purge a while back. I never thought of this, but would that be the longest rare word ever? I like to "collect" long rare words as I have found them to be more challenging than ultra rares. (Although I will gladly take an ultra rare)
    Lalatan would KNOW. He's the King of S-U-P-E-R-L-O-N-G-W-O-R-D-S. I think its amazing the words he has stored in his brain.

BTW I just LOVE your avatar, is it a wren or a hummingbird?

Leave a comment:

• 2cute
    replied
    Originally posted by mdyak View Post
    I always loved the cartoon of the guy lazing on the couch, looking up at his perturbed wife, and saying "I'm leader of the greatest nation on earth! Procrastination!"
    I'd love to know who did this cartoon, it sounds like Gene Weingarten or Pickles by Brian Crane.

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied
    Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Ooops... don't know who Willy and Ethyl are... after my time likely as nothing much was before other than the dinosaurs.
    Willy 'n Ethyl is a current strip by Joe Martin, who lives one town over from us in Lake Geneva. He does that strip, plus Porterfield, Cats With Hands, and other stuff. If you look on line you can find references to see the last week or so of any of them. It sounds exactly like something he'd do. I think he's really funny, but then I have an odd sense of humor. I like pretty much everything he does. I prefer him to Dilbert or Garfield. I strongly recommend you check him out.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    Originally posted by floppers View Post

I think that qualifies for strange and bizarre, but would have to know your family to know if it qualifies as unexpected. I feel I may have been usurped though...

Noboka, the Lobster reference if from the Christmas classic, "Love Actually". (one of the children has a role in the school Nativity scene as "number 1 Lobster").
    We love that movie.

Leave a comment:

• floppers
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyb View Post
    Maybe this wasn't unexpected, or even strange or bizarre: I opened a box on Christmas morning and found a brass medallion on a red, white and blue ribbon. The medallion reads, "President of the More Time Than Good Sense Society." I am proudly wearing the medallion as I type this. President though? I didn't know there was an election. Don't tell Rudy Guliani or Mike Lindell or they might get Sidney Powell on my case.
    I think that qualifies for strange and bizarre, but would have to know your family to know if it qualifies as unexpected. I feel I may have been usurped though...

Noboka, the Lobster reference if from the Christmas classic, "Love Actually". (one of the children has a role in the school Nativity scene as "number 1 Lobster").

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    Sounds like a "Willy and Ethyl" cartoon. Yes?
    Ooops... don't know who Willy and Ethyl are... after my time likely as nothing much was before other than the dinosaurs.

Leave a comment:

• jbud1980
    replied
    Originally posted by Naboka View Post
    Don't you love it when a good word you've never seen before is a complete accident?

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 3.00.45 PM.png
    I'm a bit shocked that you do not use that word more often...

I'm just messin', but I can say the same thing about 95% of the ultra rare three-letter words I find.

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied
    Sounds like a "Willy and Ethyl" cartoon. Yes?

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    I always loved the cartoon of the guy lazing on the couch, looking up at his perturbed wife, and saying "I'm leader of the greatest nation on earth! Procrastination!"

Leave a comment:

• dannyb
    replied
    Maybe this wasn't unexpected, or even strange or bizarre: I opened a box on Christmas morning and found a brass medallion on a red, white and blue ribbon. The medallion reads, "President of the More Time Than Good Sense Society." I am proudly wearing the medallion as I type this. President though? I didn't know there was an election. Don't tell Rudy Guliani or Mike Lindell or they might get Sidney Powell on my case.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    Flops,

Beautiful boxes. Just love wooden boxes.

I'd get buried in a wooden box, but no one would be able to see how beautiful it was--and... creamation is soooo much cheaper.

Hope the Kardashian calender was done with the loathing disrespect appropriate for silk maggots.

"S**t Towns of Australia?" What a lovely idea.

Had not heard of lobsters referenced ever at that event, but... so much of history is distortion and lies.

Did wise individuals gather at the stable for baby cheeses?

-'

Leave a comment:

• floppers
    replied
    overheard during afternoon food coma, Christmas Day (context, my father gave his grandsons a felt inlaid, brass initialed timber "keepsake" boxes). Me, "what are you going to put in your box, Nicholas?". Mimi (my Offspring 3), "the teeth of his victims...", Nicholas, "no...you never leave evidence".

I feel justified in thinking that we have bred weirdos. (although, I am not surprised).

On the exchange of "Buddy the Elf" gifts, the winning gifts were: 1. a Kim Kardashian calendar, 2. the classic travel guide, "S**t Towns of Australia", 3rd place: a trees ornament laser cut with, "There was more than one lobster at the birth of Jesus?".

Daniel made, from toothpicks and baby boccocini, a structure which represented "the stable for baby cheeses". babycheeses.jpg xnasbox.jpg

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    indeed. Way to squeeze all the juice out of that one.
    Last edited by lalatan; 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• walden123
    replied
    Originally posted by lalatan View Post
    True, I like constructing a word (if there's no other word I can see) and then seeing if it's valid. Recently I tried POLYPLOID and it worked. Got the same board again days later and added allo-, a prefix I'd seen on other words. Presto, ALLOPOLYPLOIDS. Don't have clue what it means but it was fun getting it.

mdyak, I sent you a PM today.
    I got autoallopolyploid

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    SYMPATHETOBLASTS (30/16): a cell destined to become a sympathetic neuron

Leave a comment:

Working...
X