No announcement yet.

The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my hunt for long words, I often randomly try combining available syllables, even if the final result sounds unlikely. That's how I ended up with
    SUPERCALENDERING (30 pts.) New record!

​​​​
    today.

Apparently, it's the process of running paper through a special press (a supercalender) to make it dense and smooth. Maybe it's a word well known amongst native speakers of English, but I was quite surprised when it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by crazykate View Post
      In my hunt for long words, I often randomly try combining available syllables, even if the final result sounds unlikely. That's how I ended up with
      SUPERCALENDERING (30 pts.) New record!

​​​​
      today.

Apparently, it's the process of running paper through a special press (a supercalender) to make it dense and smooth. Maybe it's a word well known amongst native speakers of English, but I was quite surprised when it worked.
      No, it would be well-known only among people who run paper through a supercalendar to make it dense and smooth. :^)

Comment

I just found a word and tested it simply because it was a puzzle I was sure I would only get a 7-letter word . . . custumary (notice the 'u' instead of the 'o' in customary). . . funny though, I cannot find this word anywhere to get a definition of it . . . Google, American and English dictionaries

Comment

Nice find playonwords. That has occurred a few times for me in the last 6 years of playing: the word was accepted but there was no definition to be found anywhere.

This morning at 10:40 local time I learned a new word: EXTRAVERSIVELY (28/14). (It usually happens later in the day for me to construct a word I haven't seen before.) It means directed in an outward manner. It was 1 of those scenarios where it seemed to be the only choice for a high scoring word so I played it, not really expecting success.
          Last edited by lalatan; 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by playonwords View Post
            I just found a word and tested it simply because it was a puzzle I was sure I would only get a 7-letter word . . . custumary (notice the 'u' instead of the 'o' in customary). . . funny though, I cannot find this word anywhere to get a definition of it . . . Google, American and English dictionaries
            I found this note in the Collins dictionary:

custumary.JPG

I wonder if it's related to the word "custumal", too?

Comment

I played a board where I spotted -metrically early on. The only available letters to pair with it were jammed in the lower right corner. So I decided to start by trying the longest prefix I could form: nephelo-. I thought with amusement, "Maybe they measure nephelos." I was completely surprised when it was accepted!! Wow! 3 years ago I could not have conceived there would be so many prefixes used in medical/scientific words.
              While I was still musing on that I started another game and found FANTASTICALNESSES. It seemed appropriate after finding the previous word.

Comment

Working...
              X