The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
    I laughed when this word was accepted. I saw -mongers and searched for something to add to it. Then I wondered... WONDERMONGERS (24/13)! I love this game, so entertaining...
    WONDERMONGER: a person who tells of or works wonders
    Oh my gosh!!! LOVE IT! I am definitely going to be a WONDERMONGER when/if I grow up!

Comment

• Originally posted by walden123 View Post
      I got autoallopolyploid
      I've learned there is one board with AUTOALLOPOLYPLOID on it and one board that only ALLOPOLYPLOID is available. I've played the former twice now and didn't miss it.

Comment

• It took me 30 seconds to spot CHOWDERHEADEDNESSES (36/19). Got a chuckle when it was accepted. I've heard the term before but didn't know what its meaning was.
        CHOWDERHEAD: Noun. (US informal pejorative) An idiot; a dummy
        That is quite the insult; in essence saying that your intelligence is such that your head seems to be filled with a creamy soup. lol
        Last edited by lalatan; 04-08-2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Trying to find the connection to ologies... thana? thanaoligies... no...hmmmm...thanat? thanatologies?

cool word

missed the highest points by 3 (549 vs 552) but it was worth it to find this.

seems like it should be worth more points

study of death. more to it but if if you're intested, you'll look it up

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 4.24.33 PM.png

Comment

• I found that before and was also disappointed it wasn't worth more pts. I looked it up then and it's pretty comprehensive study on the subject. Good job in filling in the correct blanks to get it. Strangely, last week I was watching a TV show and one person recommended to another that she should consult a thanatologist. First time I ever heard it spoken anywhere. I guess those kind of words do slip sometimes briefly into the mainstream outside of WordTwist...

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              I found that before and was also disappointed it wasn't worth more pts. I looked it up then and it's pretty comprehensive study on the subject. Good job in filling in the correct blanks to get it. Strangely, last week I was watching a TV show and one person recommended to another that she should consult a thanatologist. First time I ever heard it spoken anywhere. I guess those kind of words do slip sometimes briefly into the mainstream outside of WordTwist...
              Yeah, a lot going on outside of WordTwist.

Words represent the things humans have discovered and found interesting enough to label. The range of human interests and observations is breathtaking.

Every new word opens up a new discovery. A new way of viewing the world.

It was a good board, containing stannate, tannate, tannates, annate, annates and antilogies, logies, thana and thanas, tanna and tannas. Went from chemistry to church profits to contradictory statements to cheap theater jewelry to an Indian military outpost to Jewish scholars.

My my. What a ride.

ps: thank god for notebooks. My memory needs a crutch these days.

Comment

• My wife doesn't believe this applies to our household, but...

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 8.53.52 PM.png

Comment

• While searching through games I found this most amazing board.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.50.14 PM.png
                  Not only did Russ get over 700 points & 139 words, but he also got the longest with the most value. I think this game is already retired & he only played it once! Amazing!

Comment

• Thanks for the kudos 2cute............based on the board stats my score looks like a pretty terrible effort tbh.............I probably got hung up looking for a long word and didn't key in as many smaller ones......

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

• Great job, Russ! Doin better than me. I think the highest I got was 91 points?

Cheers,

Panda

Comment

• Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                        Thanks for the kudos 2cute............based on the board stats my score looks like a pretty terrible effort tbh.............I probably got hung up looking for a long word and didn't key in as many smaller ones......

Cheers,

Russ
                        Its interesting that from your perspective you did poorly & from mine it was extraordinary! I think you're selling your skills short. Congrats on YOUR ACHIEVEMENT!

Comment

• Another example of why racing through common words doesn't always pay dividends.

Almost 50 fewer words but 24 more points.

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 11.43.22 AM.png

Comment

• I had my doubts when I tried NONELECTROCHEMIST (32/17). Once it was accepted, I thought, "Hey, that's me! And almost every other person in the world." Lol, quite a descriptive word there. "What do you do for a living? I'm a nonelectrochemist." That could mean any other occupation or just a chemist that doesn't use electricity in experiments.
                            Last edited by lalatan; 04-30-2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• In my 84k games played this has never happened to me before: I played 2 boards back-to-back w 2 different layouts that contained the same word that seems to be the best/longest...

22 PTS MISINTERPRETATIONS CROPPED.jpg

22 PTS MISINTERPRETATIONS2 CROPPED.jpg

Comment

• FLAGITIOUSNESSES worked unexpectedly. (I was about to throw the board away, but thought I should at least try something before I did.) No idea what it means (I'll probably get curious enough to look it up), but surprisingly (to me, at least), it was only rare & worth 24 points.

Comment

Working...
                                X