No announcement yet.

The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good find Spike. I thought I found that word in the past. Did a search for it and I had found it July 2020. I remember I had the same reaction as you. Only 24 pts?! (As I was looking in my folder of found words I saw that FACTITIOUSNESSES was also a rare and worth 24 pts.) It seems it took almost 2 years for it to resurface...

Kate found a very unique word a few years back: THALASSOGRAPHERS. I made a point of memorizing it. I've been looking for it ever since and have not even seen any combination of letters in a board that even came close. Similarly, I noticed QUINQUASEXAGINTILLIARDTHS hasn't been found by anyone for months. So many mysteries about how this website works...

Comment

• Thalassographers. Adding it to the notebook.

Flagitious. Used it before in college. Always good to throw in something to impress the professors. Hadn't even thought of adding the -nesses. Adding to the notebook.

Just got ommataphorous. Hoped the board had ommataphore, but not to be. If you ever wondered what the stalks that held the eyes of snails were called: ommataphore.

And just for grins: ommataphobia. Fear of eyes. Wonder if that's on a board somewhere. Seems like someone with ommataphobia would be an ommataphobe, but that doesn't seem to be a word.

th-2878404957.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 12.56.57 PM.png
      Last edited by Naboka; 06-15-2022, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Excellent find, Naboka. Interesting too and, strangely enough, I never did wonder what the stalks that hold snails' eyes were called. Lol about the fear of eyes. Wow.

When I looked up THALASSOGRAPHERS (to ensure I remembered the correct spelling and I did), I saw there is also THALASSOPHOBIA: fear of large bodies of water. Even though I love living by the Pacific Ocean I do not like to go out on boats where I can't see land. Therefore, I have also personally experienced some bouts of LANDLUBBERLINESSES.
        Last edited by lalatan; 06-15-2022, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
          Excellent find, Naboka. Interesting too and, strangely enough, I never did wonder what the stalks that hold snails' eyes were called. Lol about the fear of eyes. Wow.

When I looked up THALASSOGRAPHERS (to ensure I remembered the correct spelling and I did), I saw there is also THALASSOPHOBIA: fear of large bodies of water. Even though I love living by the Pacific Ocean I do not like to go out on boats where I can't see land. Therefore, I have also personally experienced some bouts of LANDLUBBERLINESSES.
          This is taking me way way back. My first language was Greek because that's where my family was when I learned to talk. Unfortunately, I wasn't afraid enough of the thalassa. First time at the beach I just walked straight in till the water was over my head - new encounter with the elements!

Comment

I noticed QUINQUASEXAGINTILLIARDTHS hasn't been found by anyone for months. So many mysteries about how this website works...
            Yeah, what's up with that? You and I have found it, and now it's just gone. Plus my experience is I click through 100's of small games before I run into anything with word scores in the 40's or 50's. Boring!

Comment

Even though I love living by the Pacific Ocean I do not like to go out on boats where I can't see land. Therefore, I have also personally experienced some bouts of LANDLUBBERLINESSES.
              I used to whitewater kayak, loved the big stuff, even ran the Grand Canyon (225 miles) twice, but get me 50 feet from a visible shore in calm water and I'm seriously anxious. The scariest paddle I ever did was the 2.5 miles from Sausalito to Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay, on a calm day with swells about 2 feet. Never happier to land my little boat! So LANDLUBBERLINESSES works for me.

Needless to say, my paddling friends could never talk me into sea kayaking.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcdonna View Post

I used to whitewater kayak, loved the big stuff, even ran the Grand Canyon (225 miles) twice, but get me 50 feet from a visible shore in calm water and I'm seriously anxious. The scariest paddle I ever did was the 2.5 miles from Sausalito to Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay, on a calm day with swells about 2 feet. Never happier to land my little boat! So LANDLUBBERLINESSES works for me.

Needless to say, my paddling friends could never talk me into sea kayaking.
                Was kayaking on the gulf near Pensacola for morning exercise. Glanced down and saw a bull shark that looked in the 8-12' range--about 10 feet deep.

Mixed feelings about something so grand. And something so scary.

Pulled in the paddle and drifted, watching it as long as I could.

Comment

• One weird board. All green with a single red.

A six point red.

Hnh.

Makes one wonder why.

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 10.43.59 PM.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Was kayaking on the gulf near Pensacola for morning exercise. Glanced down and saw a bull shark that looked in the 8-12' range--about 10 feet deep.

Yeah, I hear you. Sounds as though you had an incredible experience, partly for the beauty and partly for the chill!

Comment

One weird board. All green with a single red.

A six point red.

Hnh.

Makes one wonder why.

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 10.43.59 PM.png
                      They knew you were coming and did it just to mess with you.

Comment

I wouldn't have done what you did. I wouldn't have acted as you did. I would have had an accident, and pulled that paddle back and hoped I didn't look like prey.
                        And I wouldn't have gone out again. Ever.

Comment

I was canoeing in Whalebone Cove (an oxbow still connected to the Connecticut River) early one morning when a channel catfish passed under my canoe. It was about 3 feet long. I was impressed. About 15 minutes later a shadow of a fish about 5-6 feet long went under my canoe. I have no idea what it could have been. I don't think that there are blue catfish in Connecticut. I was about a half mile up from the brackish area of the river.

I felt like Santiago, the fisherman, in "The Old Man and the Sea". Seeing that shadow made me whisper, "The great DiMaggio."

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyb View Post

I was canoeing in Whalebone Cove (an oxbow still connected to the Connecticut River) early one morning when a channel catfish passed under my canoe. It was about 3 feet long. I was impressed. About 15 minutes later a shadow of a fish about 5-6 feet long went under my canoe. I have no idea what it could have been. I don't think that there are blue catfish in Connecticut. I was about a half mile up from the brackish area of the river.

I felt like Santiago, the fisherman, in "The Old Man and the Sea". Seeing that shadow made me whisper, "The great DiMaggio."
                            Wow. Big fish. Great story.

Why DiMaggio? It's been decades since I've read Hemingway.

A couple of bull sharks have made it all the way up the Mississippi River to St Louis. Wonder if it was a shark you saw.

The shark I saw would probably measure in the 6-9' range, but water distortions and mental recalculations can exaggerate experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

I wouldn't have done what you did. I wouldn't have acted as you did. I would have had an accident, and pulled that paddle back and hoped I didn't look like prey.
                              And I wouldn't have gone out again. Ever.
                              Went out the next morning and saw a school of small rays. Maybe 15 of them, in groups of 3-4, darting all over the place.

Long ago, I wrote my jisea.

Now, it's simply enjoying the poetry of living. +

Jisei: Japanese farewell poem written as death approaches. A word not accepted in Wordtwist and which isn't in Lexic. But should be added.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcdonna View Post

They knew you were coming and did it just to mess with you.
                                There certainly are some clever devils lurking here.

Imagine the clairovoyance needed to predict such an outcome through every deflection of energy and choice through time and space.

Simply amazing.

And then, to only pick such a humble word as a message.

Like finding a note in a bottle, washed to shore, and revealing a koan, which, once understood will bring Satori.

Who would have anticipated that the simple word "coursed" could change the...

the...

the...

course of one's life?

Comment

Working...
                                X